FerrariChat.com update - Week 1 Poll | FerrariChat

FerrariChat.com update - Week 1 Poll

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by rob lay, Sep 16, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

?

Thoughts about the FerrariChat update - Week 1?

Poll closed Sep 20, 2017.
  1. Do Not Like - FerrariChat was better before and not acceptable.

57 vote(s)
    23.6%
  2. Do Not Like - Acceptable especially with optional Old style.

74 vote(s)
    30.6%
  3. Indifferent - Positive & negatives about equal.

43 vote(s)
    17.8%
  4. Like - Growing on me, more positives than negatives.

50 vote(s)
    20.7%
  5. Like - Major improvements.

18 vote(s)
    7.4%
  1. rob lay

rob lay Administrator
    Staff Member Admin Miami 2018 Owner

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    This is our second poll about the updated and redesigned FerrariChat. Please vote and you are welcome to provide your general non-bug specific comments. We will do these periodically to monitor trends. Thanks!

2. wbklink

wbklink F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 2, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Bill Karp
    If it ain't broke don't fix it :)

John Vardanian likes this.
  3. SPEEDCORE

SPEEDCORE Four Time F1 World Champ

Jul 11, 2005
    Full Name:
    Toe Knee
    Like with the old style :)

John Vardanian and tazz99 like this.
  4. tomc

tomc Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    Hate is less today than yesterday, less tomorrow than today. Trending in the right direction. Any chance the report button could be made less prominent than the reply button? They're pretty close on mobile platform (iPhone, Safari), and apart from the F1 forum, I would assume more people reply to posts than tattle on others. Thanks!
    T

rob lay likes this.
  5. johnk...

johnk... F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jun 11, 2004
    CT
    Full Name:
    John Kreskovsky
    #5 johnk..., Sep 16, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 16, 2017
    With Old Style selected It's really not significantly different than the old Ferrari Chat. So I'm basically indifferent.

One thing that I find annoying is that if I click on a link in a post that takes me to another thread it logs me out and switches to the New Style. I either have to log in again or close my browser and restart it to get back to the Old Style format.

John Vardanian and tazz99 like this.
  6. ttforcefed

ttforcefed F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    for new posts - can we take the name of the forum that a post is in and put it back in a column on the right side - it was way easier to eyeball "new posts" the old way

John Vardanian likes this.
  7. Remy Zero

Remy Zero Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 26, 2005
    KL, Malaysia
    Full Name:
    MC Cool Breeze
    Rob, as long as it doesn't 'slow down' the site, i am fine with it.

rob lay likes this.
  8. Enzojr

Enzojr F1 World Champ

Dec 12, 2013
    West of PDX
    Full Name:
    Tomy
    I am ok with it, old people like me hate change ;)
    It has more options, and in 1-5 years when I figure it all out I will have forgotten the old.
    Kudos to all who worked on addressing everyone's concerns/bugs/problems.
    Besides .......now I have trophy points and "likes" lol

dm_n_stuff likes this.
  9. HotShoe

HotShoe F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 3, 2008
    Lake Worth, FL
    Full Name:
    Anthony Lauro
    I love the new style. Looks and works great on my end. Visually the new format is 100x better. No way I'd go back to the old format.

Not crazy about the new Fchat logo though. :)

10. staatsof

staatsof Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 13, 2005
    Fuggetaboutitland
    Full Name:
    Bob
    It's possible to want to make multiple choices in this poll though some multi-choice selection would be contradictory.

11. GuyIncognito

GuyIncognito Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
    went from "indifferent" to "like-growing on me".

I use the old style format. I don't see why so many lost their minds last week, some things that needed work (most of which are fixed) but not a big deal.

I'm wondering how many of the people who really hate this only use one forum-if you use multiple forums you've used multiple software systems (including Xenforo) and it's no big deal.

wax and rob lay like this.
  12. vjd3

vjd3 F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 3, 2005
    Massachusetts
    Full Name:
    Vic
    Still wish it had the old feature where you would see only new threads or threads with new posts in bold since your last visit. This is particularly useful if you are keeping an eye on the for sale forums.

Having to mark the forums read each time to preserve that is a hassle, especially since it pops up a window to confirm that you want to do so, making it a two-step process.

This was the feature that caused all the consternation last time around, so if it's possible to implement, or make it a choice for users to implement, please do so.

moysiuan likes this.
  13. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    It isn't doing that for me, but I have heard it is for some others. Do you select the Remmber Me? Traditionally that is result of your client security being too strict not accepting cookies.

14. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    I see the benefit of this being you can make multiple visits and doesn't clear until you are ready, Inknow several had complained about that old way. I like the New Posts, Red Unread, and Marks Forum(s) Read pretty good here.

15. Dave rocks

Dave rocks F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Nov 23, 2012
    Orchard Park, NY
    Full Name:
    Dave Lelonek
    On a PC or even iPad, using old theme, it's OK and I think I've found a few technical improvements such as iPhone / iPad allowing multiple photo uploads per post, conversations better than PM' (nice thread view) ability to attach photos.

But, still have trouble identifying new posts. Don't like iPhone layout.

Given such modern software, a larger emoji library would be great too ;)

16. NeuroBeaker

NeuroBeaker Advising Moderator

Oct 1, 2008
    Huntsville, AL., USA
    Full Name:
    Andrew
  17. PhilNotHill

PhilNotHill Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jul 3, 2006
    Aspen CO 81611
    Full Name:
    FelipeNotMassa
    When in the top level which shows all forums, you can use the red down arrow in the new format. At the bottom is a list of new threads and new posts.

Plus if you go to the top by your name you can see all the people that have quoted you in their reply.

These features save hunting time. Really enjoy these. Thanks.

18. johnk...

johnk... F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jun 11, 2004
    CT
    Full Name:
    John Kreskovsky
    #18 johnk..., Sep 16, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 16, 2017
    Yep. I have check "remember me" or "stay logged in", which ever it is. I'm permanently logged in and set to Old Style. But if I click on a link, like "Ferrari Chat Rules" in your posts, I get logged out and the display switches to New Style. If I log back in it switches back to New Style but takes me to a page that say, Error..... I can then click on "Forum" and work my way back to where I started. Easier to close my browser and restart.

The simple question is , why does it log me out when I click on a contained link to an FChat thread, post, or image?

Edit: Here is an interesting part of the picture. You have 3 links in your post. RULES, SUBSCRIBE, and SPONSOR.

If I click on RULES I am logged or, switch to New Style.
    If I click on SUBSCRIBE it woks as it should. Stays in Old Style and I stay logged in.
    If I click on SPONSOR, logged out and New Style.

Now, if instead of just clicking, I right click and select Open in New Tab

If I right click on RULES or SPONSOR and Open in new tab, it takes me to an Error page
    If I right click on SUBSCRIBE and Open in new tab, it works as it should.

19. johnk...

johnk... F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jun 11, 2004
    CT
    Full Name:
    John Kreskovsky

20. Argento360

Argento360 Karting

Mar 9, 2006
    CA,AZ,NV
    Full Name:
    John
    I think others have covered the aesthetics pretty well, however to me the main practical flaw is that there is too much empty space. The new layout does not make efficient use of the available desktop. I have to scroll or page many, many times to see an entire webpage and what's in each page can be read quickly, compounding the problem. Also, the text does not seem as sharp as before. It's actually causing me eyestrain that the previous version did not. I am not sure if it's the background vs. text color or the resolution, but I would prefer a little more contrast and maybe higher quality font.

21. koisokok

koisokok F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Dec 8, 2006
    nine 0 two one 0
    Better than before for sure....Still hate the small avatar option..Something I really liked before and paid for Rossa...Silver here I come..

22. Dom

Dom F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 5, 2002
    Looking good.

Would like to see more than 50 posts/page. Also, would be nice if preview when hovering your mouse over a thread worked with a touchscreen computer.

23. 308geo

308geo F1 Rookie

Nov 13, 2002
    Houston, TX
    Full Name:
    George Benton LaFleur
    Where do I change it back to the "optional old style"?

Also, none of my alerts are working...I no longer get e-mail alerts when there's a new post on a subscribed thread.

How am I gonna know when there's new posts?

24. SPEEDCORE

Jul 11, 2005
    Full Name:
    Toe Knee
  25. SPEEDCORE

Jul 11, 2005
    Full Name:
    Toe Knee
    Are you using HTTPS to log into the site? Those links are HTTP so your browser thinks its a separate site. You need to be logged into "both" sites. (Same thing happened with the old site).

If you're not logged into HTTPS then it's a different issue.

EDIT: Clarification that happens to me :)