Fiat 850 Spider - Guigiaro/Bertone - thread | Page 3 | FerrariChat

Fiat 850 Spider - Guigiaro/Bertone - thread

Discussion in 'Other Italian' started by William Abraham, Nov 1, 2013.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. bjwhite

bjwhite F1 Rookie

Mar 17, 2006
    Seattle, WA
    Full Name:
    Brian White
    Dude, you're killing me. I love the 850.....that was on BaT a week or two ago right? Great color and great wheels. And Melbers on your Alfa Spider? Sweet.

And I used to have a Scorpion. 76 #1019.

2. Mang

Mang F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 11, 2007
    ta HO
    Full Name:
    Mike S.
    #52 Mang, Apr 9, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    It showed up on BaT 2 weeks ago. I phoned the owner, there was a glitch on his Craigslist ad and the car wasn't being viewed for weeks, then all of a sudden it was. It led to a high level of mistrust from the BaT crowd and if you read their comments - pretty convincing that this car was garbage...I think they got that part wrong, it's an absolute JEWEL, the best 850 I've ever seen or driven.

I'm a big fan of Guigiaro - Bertone cars and these early uncluttered sealed headlight models.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

3. Mang

Mang F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 11, 2007
    ta HO
    Full Name:
    Mike S.
    #53 Mang, Apr 9, 2016
  4. Mang

Mang F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 11, 2007
    ta HO
    Full Name:
    Mike S.
    #54 Mang, Apr 9, 2016
  5. velocetwo

velocetwo F1 World Champ

Dec 11, 2006
    Left Coast
    Congrats, such a pretty design. look at that bright work it's like jewelry. Thats not my favorite color, but it really looks good!

6. Mang

Mang F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 11, 2007
    ta HO
    Full Name:
    Mike S.
    #56 Mang, Apr 10, 2016
    Mahalos Mike, ya that color. These cars similar to Porsche's of the era, bold bright colors everywhere.

...surrounded by my other cars, all black, grays, and silvers, then there is this blue.

7. GIOTTO

GIOTTO F1 Rookie
    Consultant

Dec 30, 2006
    France
    #57 GIOTTO, Apr 10, 2016
  8. Mang

Mang F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 11, 2007
    ta HO
    Full Name:
    Mike S.
    Jajajaja, it's the uber rare SWB variant.

9. 71Satisfaction

71Satisfaction Formula 3

Jul 15, 2012
    New York and Norway
    Full Name:
    Art
    Haha!

Well done you!
    I'm so happy you got that gorgeous 850 despite the pessimism on the BaT thread.. maybe that crowd gets a tad full of itself?

PS - I love the selection of rims represented in your collection. Those on the Alfa Spider look great. I'd love to put them on something of mine, but I don't have a design that suits them.

Cheers,
    - Art

10. Mang

Mang F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 11, 2007
    ta HO
    Full Name:
    Mike S.
    #60 Mang, Apr 11, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 11, 2016
    Thanks Art, I'm a self admitted wheel freak. I love all these cars with original steel wheels and caps, but it seems there is always a few aftermarket wheel designs that just trump up the looks of these stylish Italian cars. When they are lightweight magnesium in like new condition, all the better.

I did run across a set of Melber wheels (the gorgeous ones on the Alfa), that fit the Fiat. Only negative is they are actually heavy. I peruse eBay Italy all the time, some rare and beautiful stuff shows up there often - for vintage Alfa's, Lancia's, and Fiat's.

There are some great YouTube videos of Italian 850 Spider club gatherings/drives showing these Spider's with Borranni spokes, 246 Dino exact style Campagnolo's (chairs and flares 246), some Abarth beauties, etc. etc. The gorgeous colorful array of cars is eye candy too. The size, comfort, gas mileage, spirited (slow lol) drive and BEAUTY of these 850 spiders has me pretty stoked right now. I want a dozen of all favors :)

11. Mang

Mang F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 11, 2007
    ta HO
    Full Name:
    Mike S.
    Fiat 850 Bertone Spider lovers - eye candy video

[ame]http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=lTgEkkk9jV4[/ame]

12. Rory J

Rory J Formula 3

May 30, 2006
    Great stuff, thanks for posting. Had a Fiat X1/9 in the past, but I've always wanted a Scorpion. A '67 850 Coupe currently resides in my garage waiting for a bit of work. Cars like these are such tremendous fun for the price.

13. Mang

Mang F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 11, 2007
    ta HO
    Full Name:
    Mike S.
    Please share photos of your coupe. I would love to get my hands on a coupe 'racer', they are lookers for sure.

I have a nice stash of parts too if you are seeking anything - they happen to all be '67 stuff. 5 boxes full came with purchase of car, including a spare motor.

14. hyenahf

hyenahf F1 Rookie

May 25, 2004
    Congrats !Very nice... Luv the period color. Having the euro miura head lamps instead USA sealed beams makes ALL the difference in the world.

I've been looking for the rare 850 sport seats seemingly forever.. Never even seen a pair in the flesh.

15. Mang

Mang F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 11, 2007
    ta HO
    Full Name:
    Mike S.
    #65 Mang, Apr 11, 2016
    Thanks! Agreed on the front lights. I have a spare front clip from a '67 - hood, and another set of these elusive 'miura' sealed headlights. I would love to do a 2nd spider or better a 'racer' coupe and retro the front with this headlight treatment.

Referencing the seats you speak of? Which ones exactly are you referring to? Do you have a photo?

The only weak piece on my spider is the center section of the front bumper...it has a minor ding and bent underneath and some chrome area damaged where license plate screws tweaked it. I sourced an NOS replacement - very expensive, but this is a special car and deserves the upgrade bringing it next level. You can see the flaws in this photo. Rest of car near perfect!

Any opinions on the overriders? Might lose them? They 'belong' on the '67 I think, but these cars look real clean sans overriders.

16. hyenahf

hyenahf F1 Rookie

May 25, 2004
    #66 hyenahf, Apr 12, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 12, 2016
    nice thing about the 850 there are at least a dozen really cool wheels u can get for them. change them when you want to try a different look like a pair of shoes.

the optional sport racer seats are very similar if not the same as the miura but with metal grommets. there is even another super rare version. they remind me of the pantera prototype seats. i have a photo somewhere in clippings. who knows when i would find it.

ace the overiders... the early cars were so much cleaner than the later cars.

ps i found some 7x14 melbers!

17. Mang

Mang F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 11, 2007
    ta HO
    Full Name:
    Mike S.
    #67 Mang, Apr 12, 2016
    I think I found said seats and see why you like them! Wow! Discovering these variants...reminds me of the vintage Porsche world. Abarth added so much to these Fiats! Some sweet period parts out there.

Overriders will be boxed. Agreed. I'm going to dismantle my bumper and repair it vs. replace. Thinking of welding up overrider mounting holes AND license mount holes as well.

Nice score on the Melbers, lots of folks chasing those. Did you land the set offered on Alfa bb out of nowhere recently? Any access to center caps? I've needed 2 forever.

18. Mang

Mang F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 11, 2007
    ta HO
    Full Name:
    Mike S.
    #68 Mang, Apr 12, 2016
  19. hyenahf

hyenahf F1 Rookie

May 25, 2004
    yes, great rare parts for the eccentric type folks. not only abarth but gianni, angelini faza, dallara, fillipinetti etc... i hope ive sent you on a quest for the seats

http://www.fiat850spider.de/Fahrzeug-Info/850_racer_team_berlinetta_innen_10_68.JPG

7inch melbers, MM, ronals or anything are hard to find in 108. for 98mm 6inch and under, they are a dime a dozen. so you are lucky with the 850

yeah the center caps came with them. they are pretty crappy with some printed graphix on them not like the cromadoras or MM that are embossed. if i ever find time i would do a 3D casted version. it would be easy.

20. Mang

Mang F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 11, 2007
    ta HO
    Full Name:
    Mike S.
  21. hyenahf

hyenahf F1 Rookie

May 25, 2004
    nice without the overriders huh? cool wheels too

22. Mang

Mang F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 11, 2007
    ta HO
    Full Name:
    Mike S.
  23. velocetwo

velocetwo F1 World Champ

Dec 11, 2006
    Left Coast
    #73 velocetwo, Apr 26, 2016
    They look like Bizzarrini seats to me are they steel frame, fiberglass or aluminum?

24. soucorp

soucorp F1 Rookie

Sep 20, 2011
    Old Dominion
    Full Name:
    Mike
    #74 soucorp, Apr 26, 2016
  25. Mang

Mang F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 11, 2007
    ta HO
    Full Name:
    Mike S.
    Mike, your spider is really cool! Those wheels (I especially like em with the knockoffs ON), and that color, damn cool. Looks very nicely done too. My favorite car to drive now.