First visit to Santa Fe | FerrariChat

First visit to Santa Fe

Discussion in 'Arizona & New Mexico' started by JimEakin, Apr 12, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. JimEakin

JimEakin Formula Junior

Jun 13, 2015
    Mountain Living
    Full Name:
    Jim
    Hi,

I'm going on my first visit to Santa Fe in a couple of weeks. I would appreciate recommendations on things to do. I have looked at the normal online guides, etc.

I'm staying at the Old Santa Fe Inn and will be walking around town. Primarily need info on things to do on Sat. and Sun. Also, any dancing places, possibly country?

2. ralfabco

ralfabco Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 1, 2002
    Dixie
    Full Name:
    Itamar Ben-Gvir
    #2 ralfabco, Apr 12, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 12, 2017
    Breakfast - Tia Sophia on San Francisco Street.

Lunch - French Pastry Shop. Really like the following - spinach and banana crepe (desert). French onion soup. It is located on the side of the LaFonda Hotel.

Dinner - Geronimos - #1 place to have a formal dinner - Canyon Road.

(make sure you walk down Canyon Road - lots of art galleries and trendy shops).

Casual - Rooftop pizza. real good.

Bar - del Charro- great place next to the Plaza where the locals go. Excellent chicken fingers and Margaritas.

Casual - If you want to drive for a good burger - Bobcat Bites. Way off the tourist route.
    It is a genuine mom and pop place. Green Chili cheeseburger.

If you want to drive - Taos Pueblo.

http://ojospa.com/ Ojo Caliente :)

3. JimEakin

JimEakin Formula Junior

Jun 13, 2015
    Mountain Living
    Full Name:
    Jim
    Thanks, Israel.
    When you say formal dinner, what is the dress code? We were planning on So. Cal. casual for the trip. Reservations required at Geronimo's?
    -Jim

4. ralfabco

Lifetime Rossa

Mar 1, 2002
    Dixie
    Full Name:
    Itamar Ben-Gvir
    Jim,

We wore casual clothes at Geronimo's. I assume nothing has changed. Formal dinner - nice establishment with excellent food. Please try the place. You will enjoy it.

Geronimo Restaurant

Ralph

5. JimEakin

JimEakin Formula Junior

Jun 13, 2015
    Mountain Living
    Full Name:
    Jim
    Thanks, Ralph.

I went ahead and made reservations. They were already booked from 7 to 8 on the Sat. night we'll be there.

-Jim

6. ralfabco

Lifetime Rossa

Mar 1, 2002
    Dixie
    Full Name:
    Itamar Ben-Gvir

Jim,

Great :)

Don't forget Tia Sophia for breakfast. It's just off of the square.

La Boca is also good for dinner. Tapas style.

Santa fe Opera - it is open air. Always bring a jacket. It is cold at night. I don't know if the season has begun.

Please let me know what you think.

Ralph

7. jkddad

jkddad Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 26, 2006
    #7 jkddad, Apr 12, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 12, 2017
    If you have a nice car with you, tryout Hwy 475 to the SF ski area, or 63 out of Pecos. Both nice twisty roads. 475 has a nice overlook with a lot of aspen trees. Also, further East, Hwy 3 has some fun elevation changes.

8. JimEakin

JimEakin Formula Junior

Jun 13, 2015
    Mountain Living
    Full Name:
    Jim
    Alas, no car. Walking weekend trip.

9. Admiral Goodwrench

Admiral Goodwrench Formula Junior

Mar 2, 2005
    Santa Fe, New Mexico
    Full Name:
    Robert Phillips
    Dear Jim,

When exactly are you going to be here?

Best regards,

Robert

10. JimEakin

JimEakin Formula Junior

Jun 13, 2015
    Mountain Living
    Full Name:
    Jim
    Flying there this Thursday, staying for the weekend.
    -Jim

11. Admiral Goodwrench

Mar 2, 2005
    Santa Fe, New Mexico
    Full Name:
    Robert Phillips
    Dear Jim,

Timing is off. We have a Cars and Coffee on the 1st Saturday of every month at the Four Seasons Rancho Encantado Resort just above Tesuque. If I am over this pneumonia then perhaps we can see the blue car. PM your cell for contact.

Best regards,

Robert

12. Scotty

Scotty F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Oregon
    Full Name:
    Scotty Ferrari
    We are in Santa Fe frequently. Had two great meals at La Casa Sena late last fall. Also there is a great tapas place just off the square called La Boca. If you haven't been, Cafe Pasqual's for breakfast is classic (and actually quite good). If you haven't checked out or don't know Nambe, this is a sort of Pewter like metal (think bowls, candlesticks, etc.) with some of their designs in the Museum of Mordern Art (amongst other places). There are several outlets--one just off the square, one at the beginning of Canyon Road (the gallery street--about half way up is Geronimo's). Lots of interesting shops, etc. to poke around in around the square, though many inflected with a bit of a "screw the tourists" vibe--though that can be worked past.

13. JimEakin

JimEakin Formula Junior

Jun 13, 2015
    Mountain Living
    Full Name:
    Jim
    Thanks, Scotty. I'll check out some of those places when we're there.

Leaving tomorrow AM!

14. Admiral Goodwrench

Mar 2, 2005
    Santa Fe, New Mexico
    Full Name:
    Robert Phillips
    Dear Jim,

Please check your PM.

Best regards,

Robert

15. DIGMAN52

DIGMAN52 F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 30, 2004
    Dallas Texas
    Full Name:
    Philip C
    I agree with these food recommendations, but Bobcat Bites moved to town and is Santa Fe Bites in an old motel on Santa Fe Trail I believe. Old landowner forced them out with high rent, after they got popular, and stole their website name as well . Bigger menu, but green chile burger still the best thing to get.

Gabriel's is an awesome upscale Mexican spot 10 minutes north of town, with great views. Worth the short drive.

The Compound is the other high dollar restaurant on Canyon Drive, and worth every penny.

If you have time during a day, head out to Los Alamos, and take in the Museum as well as the other museum at the boys camp where the scientists stayed. Some great history, and they are still doing secret stuff up there.

The restaurant at the La Fonda is good now. They have a Bell Tower bar on top with great views of Santa Fe from there.

Casa Sena Cantina has good food and their waiters sing show tunes with the great pianist there. The Shed is right by there too, and the proper spot to try blue corn enchiladas.

If you are there on a Saturday, do north of town a few miles to Shidoni, and watch them pour the molten bronze into the figures they are doing at the time. They do statues for people all over the world.

We have gone to Santa Fe most summers for the past 40+ years, and think it is one of the 4-5 special places in the US unlike any other. Artist community, with great music and food as well. Enjoy !

16. TheDuke

TheDuke Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 22, 2011
    Texas
    +1 to all of this!

Shidoni is pretty cool. A few years ago I went to a place and you could watch the workers do glass blowing which I thought was really cool. I can't remember the name of it though.

I go every year and each year we eat at La Choza and Bobcat Bites. There are a few others but I just follow the group and eat. We've been to the Shed and Casa Sena, but with 20+ people in our group it gets a little crowded in there.

The Plaza is a fun place to walk around. There are a ton of rock stores that are fun to look at. I like going to Santa Fe Cutlery which is just off the plaza. There are some cool knives from novelty pocket knives to nice kitchen sets.

There is plenty of good hiking and the views are great.

Have a fun trip!

17. Admiral Goodwrench

Mar 2, 2005
    Santa Fe, New Mexico
    Full Name:
    Robert Phillips
    Dear Jim,

Enjoyed meeting you and Debbie and having the opportunity to show the blue car. Trust you had a good time here.

Best regards,

Robert

18. JimEakin

JimEakin Formula Junior

Jun 13, 2015
    Mountain Living
    Full Name:
    Jim
    Hi Robert,

Meeting you and HelenAnn was the highlight of our trip! Even though I've been following Ferraris for decades, I had not known the connection between the 500 Mondial and you (although I have now found those older posts here on FChat). When you told me you were going to show me the "blue car," I really had no clue. I have been a gear head since I was a teenager and seeing your car was beyond amazing.

Thank you so much for taking the time to notice my post and inviting Debbie and me to your beautiful place. Even better than the car was talking with you and HelenAnn.

I hope I can attend an event when you are driving #8.

Regards,
    Jim

19. JimEakin

JimEakin Formula Junior

Jun 13, 2015
    Mountain Living
    Full Name:
    Jim
    Our first night in Santa Fe we wound up at La Fonda. There was a salsa band and we had Jaguar Margaritas. We went back there another evening and they had a Flamenco guitar player with a dance troop. Amazing.

I did make reservations for Geronimo Restaurant and it was fantastic. Fritz Zinfandel, crab cakes, Gnocchi, and Elk steak. Dessert was an ice cream sampler. Excellent atmosphere.

Our last dinner was at the Coyote Cantina. We found it when we were walking around the town. It was a very cool place with a local vibe.

We were looking for boots for Debbie. We found a pair at Boots and Boogie that were a work of art - $1200. We wound up finding a new pair at Kowboyz for a more reasonable price.

There is so much to do there. Thanks everyone for the suggestions. Another trip, another day to see a little more.

20. Admiral Goodwrench

Mar 2, 2005
    Santa Fe, New Mexico
    Full Name:
    Robert Phillips
  21. JimEakin

JimEakin Formula Junior

Jun 13, 2015
    Mountain Living
    Full Name:
    Jim