For Which Model Year Would This Tag Frame Be Correct? | FerrariChat

For Which Model Year Would This Tag Frame Be Correct?

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by Dr Tommy Cosgrove, Aug 27, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Dr Tommy Cosgrove

Dr Tommy Cosgrove Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 4, 2001
    Birmingham, AL
    Full Name:
    Tommy
    #1 Dr Tommy Cosgrove, Aug 27, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  2. wildcat326

wildcat326 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 10, 2012
    Chicago, IL
    Full Name:
    Justin
    This makes me scratch my head on several fronts:

1) Ferrari offered "OEM" license plate frames specific to the models?
    2) Someone lost a plate/frame and actually bothered to order a "yellow box" one as a replacement?
    3) Someone has EVER been docked at a concours event for not having the correct license plate frame?

That said, does it have any writing anywhere on it, or is it just a black US standard size frame?

3. Dr Tommy Cosgrove

Dr Tommy Cosgrove Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 4, 2001
    Birmingham, AL
    Full Name:
    Tommy
    Don't know about specific frames for models. I do know that the late Ed Wettach (Ferrari South and FAF/Ferrari of Atlanta) mentioned once about the tag frames and 308's and how they came new. They were black only as well and you just don't see them any longer.

I don't have a concours car but some people who are looking for that elusive 100 points like these things. I have no idea if anyone has been docked points before but I do know who people will go nuts over locating little things like the tag on the clock.

Anyway, that is why I am asking here.

This one here came from someone that worked at faf for many years.

4. finnerty

finnerty F1 World Champ

May 18, 2004
    #4 finnerty, Aug 28, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 28, 2017
    Pretty sure it is not model specific.

Dealerships / FNA offered those frames during the 80's for all the US cars sold new. Which would mean it could be found on the 308/328, BB/TR, and 400/412 ---- even the 288 & F40 I suppose ?

Pretty rare though, as most were swapped out for their own Dealer-specific (dealer name) frames by the Dealerships.

My '81 308 came with one as OE when I got the car, but it was in bad shape so I tossed it out long ago ---- hope it wasn't worth $$$ :)

5. Rosso328

Rosso328 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 11, 2006
    Central FL
    Full Name:
    Paul
    I was docked a half point years ago for having a plastic frame from my local dive shop. Oops.

The judge that docked me said it just needs to be a plain black metal frame, just like the one pictured. There are no model specific ones as far as I know, and any plain black frame will do. Griots has a nice one at a decent price.

6. f355spider

f355spider F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA
    The judging rules state the car needs to be presented as originally configured. Original parts or close facsimile of the part used. So yeah, seems kinda picky, but that frame wouldn't be the way it came from the factory. But also correct, you cannot be docked for using a part that closely resembles the factory part. They recognize that original parts may no longer be available.

7. ferrarioldman

ferrarioldman Formula 3
    Professional Ferrari Technician

Jun 19, 2002
    Summerfield, NC
    Full Name:
    Tom Jones
    I have several of those frames. Cars after the 4 corner stud tag frames had 2 of these in the trunk of each car when they were delivered to the dealer. Late 308"s, 328, TR, 348, 355 mainly as far as I can remember.

8. dm_n_stuff

dm_n_stuff Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

As I recall, until the 70's Ferraris did not have license plate frames as standard equipment, therefore, the use of ANY frame would be cause for a concours deduction. I used to wander about among the Dino owners at the regional FCA show and advise them to remove license plate frames and floor mats, as neither were standard equipment.

The use of non-original equipment was limited to safety items that were NLA as original. For tires, as long as you had the proper size, brand was irrelevant. But using, for instance, a red wall or whitewall tire where blackwall was original could cost you.

I only really judged Dinos, so I don't know what cars did, or did not, arrive from the factory with a plate frame. (A little voice in my head says, NONE, but not sure.)

D

9. GatorFL

GatorFL Moderator
    Moderator Owner

Nov 18, 2005
    Wellington, FL
    Full Name:
    Duane
    It's for a 328.