fuel question do i need to prime? | FerrariChat

fuel question do i need to prime?

Discussion in 'Mondial' started by bigeasy, Aug 31, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. bigeasy

bigeasy Formula Junior

Dec 31, 2012
    In the process of trying to start my 84 Mondial QV cab. the fuel tanks were removed and the new float system installed. It has sat dry for about 4 months, I put 10 gallons of fresh fuel in her, will I need to prime anything first? I'm sure the accumulator fuel has evaporated and probably the fuel filter and lines. Should I just try to turn the motor over to pull fuel through the fuel system or is that a bad idea for my starter? Can starting fluid be used on a fuel injected motor? never had to start one from complete empty.

Thanks!

2. Steve Magnusson

Steve Magnusson Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    30°30'40" N 97°35'41" W (Texas)
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    Wouldn't hurt to unplug the safety switch and turn the key "on" (this will run the fuel pump without the engine running) for 30~60 seconds to get the fuel system filled up and primped before cranking the starter (also gives you a chance to check for leaks).

3. bigeasy

bigeasy Formula Junior

Dec 31, 2012
    Thanks Steve. after removing the safety switch and turning on, the fuel pump was buzzing very loud and wasn't picking up any fuel pressure. Replaced the fuel pump with a new unit and it picked up a prime right away, and started! Just wondering if the rough running at startup was due to low initial fuel pressure, as the fuel pump deteriorated, Car runs better then it ever has now and starts in a second. Those with rough initial starting issues and rough running at startup might look into the old fuel pump causing that issue. Replaced my Fuel float with a modern conversion unit I purchased and installed myself for $290.00 Works great with the original fuel gauge and low fuel light. Uses a swing arm float system as opposed to the original canister slide float.

Thanks again.