Funny interaction leaving restaurant | FerrariChat

Funny interaction leaving restaurant

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by buddyg, Sep 18, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. buddyg

buddyg F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 20, 2004
    West Michigan
    Full Name:
    Buddy
    So my wife and I took the 458 to dinner. The car was parked out front and as we were walking out a guy behind us sees the car and says yeah like we all have an extra couple hundred thousand laying around for a car like that. I didn't say anything but then walk to the car, he says is that really your car and I said yes. He just laughed and was like dang I didn't know when I said that the car was yours.

Already at the car was a Grandpa, son and grandson all checking the car out. My wife and I talked to them for a while answering any questions they had.

Kind of a crazy scene but I love to share the car with other people. We were at a local show last week and I always offer to let younger people get in the drivers seat for pictures. I know when I was a kid if someone did that for me I would have been so excited.

This car is a rock star!

Melvok likes this.
  2. PhilNotHill

PhilNotHill Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jul 3, 2006
    Aspen CO 81611
    Full Name:
    FelipeNotMassa
    When people ask me how much did you pay for it? My reply: l don't remember (stolen from another Fchatter).

3. dm_n_stuff

dm_n_stuff Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

I used to tell 'em what they cost. Hell, why not. If they asked.

And I always let folks sit in them. But I did have them do a back pocket check for pointy stuff and pens before they got in.

And since I bought my two Ferraris used, it wasn't all that scary a number.

the dino? $42K with tax
    the 360? $112K, also with tax.

Neither number, given what exotics cost, seems staggering, and I never caught any grief for it.

D

4. SoCal to az

SoCal to az F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2012
    Arizona
    At the last coffee and cars two different interactions.

The first was a family with two young boys. The boys were oogling over my 488. I was walking back to the car and you could tell they were super excited. I walked up and asked the father if the boys would like to sit in the car and take a picture. He was so grateful and the kids so excited. I was happy to do it and the mother and father super thankful.

Then as I get in and am about to drive away, 4 teenagers- a bit mouthy and smart alecky come by. One of them asks if I would give him a ride. I had seen a couple other young people ask others for rides. No, Im sorry- Im not giving rides today.

So how much was the car? Do you own it? Is it really yours? What did you pay for it. the questions didnt seem sincere- what I should have said was Im sure you can google the price. But since I already felt like a jerk by not giving a ride, I said 350k. Thats it? Oh man, I thought it would be a lot more.

Foolish on my part to engage these young morons. Had they been nicer, I would have happily given a ride. But it seemed their only goal was to try to ask everyone with an exotic for a ride and see how many would say yes.

5. tomc

tomc Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    At a recent car show, I had no problem letting younger kids sit in the F-car for pics, but required them to grip the steering wheel properly and put their game face on like they were driving it in anger. Fun...T

SoCal to az likes this.
  6. MJR_HK

MJR_HK Karting

Aug 9, 2016
    HK & CH
    Reactions are always mixed, but mostly positive!
    Especially in Italy, fantastic to see how proud and passionate Italians are when it comes to one of their top brands - thumbs up, honking, gestures to rev the engine etc...

7. jm2

jm2 F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 19, 2002
    michigan
    Full Name:
    john
    My standard answer for this question is: '50 yrs of working & 8 yrs of college'.........that usually ends the conservation ;)

8. Coincid

Coincid F1 Rookie

Dec 9, 2014
    Canada

toddc likes this.
  9. dm_n_stuff

dm_n_stuff Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

I draw the line at rides. I'd take anyone I know, over age 18, for a drive around. Minors? Nope. Someone I just met or who walked up and asked? Nope. Too many crazies out there. And God forbid, I take a kid for a ride and something awful happens, well, not worth the risk.

And drive it? A select few drove my Dino, maybe a couple more drove the 360. And ALWAYS with me in the passenger seat.

D

10. buddyg

buddyg F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 20, 2004
    West Michigan
    Full Name:
    Buddy
    Yesterday was a local place and I had deep fried shrimp!

11. Caeruleus11

Caeruleus11 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 11, 2013
    I vary my responses depending on the way I understand the intent of the person asking. But I am always thinking: you are looking at a beautiful automobile with sublime engineering and you can only think to ask of price? I will often say I don't know the price as it was a gift from my loving wife.

12. Lesia44

Lesia44 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 5, 2009
    I find it quite awkward as I'm reeling off the same answers I've given a thousand times, so I feel quite insincere even though I don't mean to be.

13. Melvok

Melvok F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 25, 2008
    Amersfoort, The Netherlands, Europe.
    Full Name:
    Mel
    I do that too ... it creates the kids dream imo !

14. Morgan72301

Morgan72301 Karting

Aug 12, 2017
    Massachusetts
    I found that when Im at the gas station, I get the most interactions. About 90% of people are very nice. 5% want to rattle off reasons why their car is better and another 5% genuinely hate either me or the car. All in all it's always an entertaining few minutes.
    I frequently have to stop in parking lots so people can take pictures which I don't mind. I do mind when I'm returning to my car to find people posing against it.