Future of the A-10 Warthog | Page 7 | FerrariChat

Future of the A-10 Warthog

Discussion in 'Aviation Chat' started by Tcar, Feb 26, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. jcurry

jcurry Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 16, 2012
    In the past
    Full Name:
    Jim
  2. Wade

Wade Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
    Yeah, either someone's stalling or they (F-35) just aren't ready for an effective evaluation.

3. ralfabco

ralfabco Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 1, 2002
    Dixie
    Full Name:
    Itamar Ben-Gvir
    How long would a shot-up F-35 take to be repaired and returned to the forward operating base ? The F-35 has the stand-off toys. Can it operate in the mud and not break down ? If it chooses to do so, the A.F. can slant the tests without much effort. The silk scarf syndrome must still be around.

4. jcurry

jcurry Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 16, 2012
    In the past
    Full Name:
    Jim
    Saw 16 of them sitting on the ANG ramp at Boise yesterday. Look'in good, and menacing, as always.

5. MarkPDX

MarkPDX F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Apr 21, 2003
    Gulf Coast
    #155 MarkPDX, Aug 31, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    When I was in Boise a few weeks ago all the strike Eagles from Mountain Home were there on the ramp as well.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

Kelowna likes this.
  6. Wade

Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
    Yes, the F-35 is more of a stand-off weapons platform.

Lot's of interesting commentary on that linked site.

7. Wade

Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
    F-15s at Boise, sounds like Paradise to me. :)

Kelowna likes this.
  8. MarkPDX

MarkPDX F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Apr 21, 2003
    Gulf Coast
    Yeah, they are normally at Mountain Home which is about 20-30 minute drive away. I had not spent any time in Boise until a few weeks ago and was really liking what I saw. If there was a job opportunity there I would jump on it. As it is I'm staying in the south for a bit longer though I will be moving to something new and unique soon ;)

Kelowna likes this.
  9. Wade

Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
    If I were single I would have moved to Boise several years ago. A real gem of a place.

Kelowna likes this.
  10. ralfabco

Lifetime Rossa

Mar 1, 2002
    Dixie
    Full Name:
    Itamar Ben-Gvir
    F-22's at Hickam, is probably a good second choice :D.

Kelowna likes this.
  11. Wade

Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
    Hmm, let's see. Both are excellent Birds of Prey. One location is a tropical island whereas the other a land-locked high desert. However, the latter still fly's the A-10. So Boise it is for me. :)

12. davidgoerndt

davidgoerndt Formula 3

Oct 25, 2004
    Orlando, FL
    Full Name:
    David Goerndt
    Last night "Air Warriors" highlighted the A-10. If you get a chance watch, especially the part where a badly shot up A-10 without hydraulics was landed manually by a woman pilot. Only two A10s have ever tried to land manually and one didn't make it!

Kelowna likes this.
  13. Wade

Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
    I was lucky enough to catch that show last night as well. A must see... again.

O/T, the previous show on the V-22 was pretty awesome.

14. Wade

Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
  15. NYC Fred

NYC Fred F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 28, 2010
    Fort Lauderdale, FL
    Full Name:
    Fred C
  16. ralfabco

Lifetime Rossa

Mar 1, 2002
    Dixie
    Full Name:
    Itamar Ben-Gvir
    The F-35 has significant issues that need to be resolved. How vulnerable is the F-35 on the deck to small arms (AAA) during daylight missions ? The Hog was built to take the 23mm and lose one of it's stabilizers.

17. Bob Parks

Bob Parks F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2003
    Shoreline,Washington
    Full Name:
    Robert Parks
    I have often thought about the declage of the wing and horizontal stabilizer on that airplane. It appears that the wing has a thick section at the root and what looks like an NACA 4418 airfoil. I'm guessing that it produces a prodigious nose down pitching moment that requires some heavy tail down load as exhibited by the 3 to 41/2 Deg. negative incidence. A power off situation and loss of hydraulics would not be fun if you weren't quick and strong.I assume that the automatic manual reversion is by aerodynamic balance panels (like the 727) but the speeds would be pretty low for that kind of system to be working well. Any experts out there with Hog knowledge?

18. Wade

Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
    Bob, if I had the mental faculties like yours I'd give you the answer. My Hog maintenance (including flight control systems) ended back in 1985. Fond memories I still have, technical details, no so much.

19. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Bob- The A-10 has redundant hydraulic systems, one powered by each engine. Designed for battle damage.

The F-35 will not fly CAS like an A-10. Minimum altitude will be well above small arms effective altitude (normally around 4500'). PGMs like SDB and SDBII make it unnecessary to fly as low as the A-10 for effective use of the GAU-8. Same goes for the F-16 and F-15E. LGBs are also very effective against armor, with F-111s killing well over 1000 pieces of armor in Desert Storm with GBU-12s costing only $10K each. CEM is very effective against personnel and there are PGM equipped canisters for those, too. This is not 1975 defending the Gap from Soviet armor.

20. Bob Parks

Bob Parks F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2003
    Shoreline,Washington
    Full Name:
    Robert Parks
    Thanks, Taz. I would like to know more about the A-10 because it is one of my favorite aircraft and I think that we should have a couple of hundred of them in the middle east AND use them. I simply cannot understand the lack of response to an obvious threat that the free world faces now. I keep going back to 1938 and Hitler (and Neville Chamberlin) and how we sat on our butts and let the Nazis run amuck. We need another French Foreign Legion on steroids.

21. rdefabri

rdefabri Three Time F1 World Champ

Jun 4, 2008
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Rich
    Or a Winston Churchill - Neville Chamberlain was the definition of a pacifist, one can only imagine if the Brits would have survived the German onslaught had he been in charge.

22. Tcar

Tcar F1 Rookie

They did dump Churchill when the war ended... wanted more largesse.

23. solofast

solofast Formula 3

Oct 8, 2007
    Indianapolis
    There's also a psychological effect that the A-10 has on the enemy. Like a bird of prey it comes in, you can see it coming, and devastates and area. In order to defeat an enemy you have to demoralize them so that you eliminate the will to fight. If the truck near you gets blown up by a bomb the effect isn't nearly as demoralizing as seeing an entire area and a row of vehicles torn up by an A-10 run.

The term "Whispering Death" is how the A-10 is described by the enemy in Iraq. When you have a system like that it's not just what it can do, but it's also about how the enemy perceives your capability. If you want to blow things up and break things, there's lots of ways to do it. If you want to kill soft targets and wipe out anything in a good sized area the A-10 is as good a way to do it as any.

24. 88Testarossa

88Testarossa Formula 3

Sep 25, 2012
    Annapolis and Daytona Beach
    Full Name:
    Al
    While I love the A-10, it's like the battleships of yesteryear. Battleships had their era and were also used as "battleship diplomacy" after WW2, but their time came to pass. So it is with the Warthog. Sad.

They'll get an immediate lifeline, but eventually, it will be killed by politicians.

Sent by incredibly fast electrons

25. NYC Fred

NYC Fred F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 28, 2010
    Fort Lauderdale, FL
    Full Name:
    Fred C
    IMO, absolutely incorrect. While we may not need its' tank killing abilities to defend the Fulda Gap, it's (again, IMO) the perfect weapon for the sort of decentralized, small force engagements that will be a large part of our future warfare.

Systems redundancy, titanium bathtub, massive firepower. Keep em around.