Gallardo LP 550-2 manual? Good investment? | FerrariChat

Gallardo LP 550-2 manual? Good investment?

Discussion in 'LamborghiniChat.com' started by Themaven, Dec 28, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Themaven

Themaven F1 Rookie

Nov 2, 2014
    Eastdown
    Full Name:
    Darius
    Hello, I am new to Lamborghinis, have driven a few as a journalist, never owned one. I am thinking of a LP550-2 gated manual. Drove the Superleggera and Performante when they came out and loved them, not a huge fan of e-gear though.

What do people here think of the manual 550-2? Good car? Are values going up like the latter Ferrari manuals or do Lamborghinis dance to their own beat?

2. V-TWELVE

V-TWELVE Formula 3

Jan 1, 2007
    Vancouver, BC
    Balboni is probably the best bet for future value along with a stick SL.

3. Bigwave

Bigwave Rookie

Feb 9, 2012
    In the US, there are very few maunal LP's, less than 60. The most collectible of the manuals will be the LP560-2 but I do not believe any manuals LP560-2's were made in Europe.

4. raymondQV

raymondQV F1 Rookie

Aug 22, 2007
    Switzerland
    Full Name:
    Raymond S.
    None of the modern Cars is a collectable, for sure not Gallardos, they simply built too many, too many so called Special Edition where most of them even didn't reach the limited numbers.

5. Lemacc

Lemacc Formula 3
    BANNED

Mar 16, 2008
    Germany
    No, i think there some interesting modern sportcars which are great investment in the future. Early 6speed Murcielagos with low mileage and interesting colors, Balboni 6speed Gallardos, LP640 6speed, LP670SV 6speed.

6. Jota 5084

Jota 5084 Formula 3

May 18, 2006
    Sweden
    Full Name:
    Eric Andersson
    Agreed, and i even agree more to you're comment when i'm thinking about the older cars nowadays are reaching these astronomical prices. What are poor enthusiasts like me going to buy, the best of the leftovers of course! ;)

7. Olivier NAMECHE

Olivier NAMECHE F1 Veteran

Aug 18, 2007
    CANADA
    Full Name:
    Olivier
    #7 Olivier NAMECHE, Dec 29, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    I disagree too...

is a Jalpa a very collectable Lamborghini ?

I had one in 1990 and it is not my best souvenir and I still don't think it worthes more than 100.000€...

About Gallardo, let's speak the figures of manual shift production, since the facelift in 2008 and whatsoever the models :

LP560-4
    LP550-2 Balboni
    LP550-2
    LP570-4
    LP560-2

59x cars were produced for US market , and you can't import one in Europe because you will never received homologation COC.

19x were produced for European market

overall production : 78x Gallardo manual shifting... old style... the real last model to offer it before the extinction with full production E-gear...

So my conclusion is YES, it has a very high potential, looking at what are selling a F430 with manual shift and 19.000 km around 200.000 €, (almost the dubble value, there is no reason why the Gallardo shouldn't take off also !
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

8. raymondQV

raymondQV F1 Rookie

Aug 22, 2007
    Switzerland
    Full Name:
    Raymond S.
    You forget the unlimited numbers of "Limited Editions", it's creating a pseudo Limitation where isn't one.
    The single Gallardo being collectable IME is the Balboni Edition.

The Nero didn't even get sold out, same for the Bicolore, tricolore etc. you name it.
    Can't even remember how many of these "Limited Editions" were marketized, almost like riding a dead horse.

In the end, the market only will show...

9. Olivier NAMECHE

Aug 18, 2007
    CANADA
    Full Name:
    Olivier

The Balboni Edition has not sold out too, only 185 units found buyers... and not 250... does it make it more valuable than the others ?

Not to my opinion. I ordered one with manual shift... and the factory reply to me was : all are configured with E-gear... decision of the Top Management...

Only 9x of Balboni Edition are manual gearbox, and one belongs to Valentino, so the potential is 8x cars.

All these Marketing strategies about ""Edition"" were directly managed by Stefan W...

10. EMILIO

EMILIO F1 Veteran

Feb 23, 2006
    Italia
    WOW ....what the f..k is a 430 manual worth? :O that is totally crazy

i almost bought one at 70.000 euro last summer but i arrived just few hours late
    i thought it would be soon 100-120..... but 200? c'mon that is silly money for that car

i 'd take a diablo over it for the same money or bit less...all manual, V12, Gandini design, hand made car and much rare than a 430

11. Themaven

Themaven F1 Rookie

Nov 2, 2014
    Eastdown
    Full Name:
    Darius
    Thank you, everyone, this was really interesting to read.

Lamborghinis seem a very different type of market to Ferraris. Although I have three V12 Ferraris I am a little scared of the Murcielago-Diabolo type cars...I think I'm just not tough enough (and the roads here not wide enough!). I have reviewed the Aventador and Aventador Roadster and found them amazing but a bit too wide/tricky, for me.

That's why I turned to the Gallardos. I can see that they are mass market cars compared to the others. I remember being told the Balboni was e-gear only, so it's v interesting to hear they made a few manuals. I don't think I have ever seen a manual Balboni for sale. How many manual SLs were made, again I thought they were all stick!

Olivier, your figures suggest 19 manual facelift Gallardos for Europe. Does that include UK RHD? Either way, that makes them rarer than Ferrari 599 or 575 manuals. Is the facelift Gallardo considered enough of its own model, compared to the previous version (many manuals?). Is a 550-2 quite similar to a Balboni mechanically?

There were hundreds, if not more than 1000, 430 manuals made (I own one), and their prices are stiffening. Again, I don't know about Lamborghinis but the history of Ferrari (and Porsche) is littered with models that didn't sell well at the time but then became classics due to rarity. The 599 manual is just the latest..

Thank you again for all the thoughts, appreciated.

12. ralfabco

ralfabco Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 1, 2002
    Dixie
    Full Name:
    Itamar Ben-Gvir
    I would 'guess' the most collectable modern Lamborghini would be the Murcie / LP640 Roadster with the 6spd manual transmission. You should also include the Murcie SV 6spd in the same conversation. The Murcie Roadster still screams Rock Star exotic :D.

A nice 612 manual might be a kewl car to have. Basically the last affordable modern manual transmission V-12 F car. The 599 6spd manual has already departed the train station.

13. MM355

MM355 Formula 3

Apr 7, 2008
    GMT + 3
    Garage Affolter in Switzerland have a very clean 1 owner Pearl Yellow Murcielago, I think it would be a better investment over the long run.

Export price is quiet attractive sans VAT.

14. Olivier NAMECHE

Aug 18, 2007
    CANADA
    Full Name:
    Olivier
    Yes, I do confirm a long time fellow of mine just bought one 2 weeks ago... he paid that due to low mileage and 1x owner car

15. Olivier NAMECHE

Aug 18, 2007
    CANADA
    Full Name:
    Olivier
    Overall production over 10 years of the Gallardo is 14.000 units...

Yes, it is considered to be its own model due to raise of engine capacity, power, torque curve much better, direction modification and front modification, etc...

The 19x units of the facelift are either RHD or LHD all mixed...

Let us know with "route" you will follow ?!?

16. nicholasn

nicholasn Formula 3

Nov 7, 2013
    North Carolina
    Full Name:
    Nicholas
    I can't imagine the value of a gated LP550-2 will fall anytime soon (if ever) due to its rarity, regardless of edition. The take rate for the later Gallardos was what, MAYBE 10%? Manual 360s and F430s are already commanding premiums, so I see no reason that the Gallardo wouldn't follow suit. If I were in your shoes, I would certainly go for a gated LP550-2 if you can find a reasonably-priced example, partly because it would have a higher chance of increasing in value, and mostly because I can't stand paddle shifters.

I have personally only seen one 2009+ Gallardo with a gated manual, and it was an LP560-2 50° Anniversario.

17. raymondQV

raymondQV F1 Rookie

Aug 22, 2007
    Switzerland
    Full Name:
    Raymond S.
    Guys, this whole talk reminds me off the nineties of last century when People paid for a F40 contract 2millions, soon later 1993 nobody wanted those cars anymore.

As we all know history gets repeated, sooner or later...

18. rmolke85

rmolke85 Formula Junior

Mar 11, 2013
    The only ones worth a darn are the 50th anniversary 560-2 cars. White, stick, and rwd. The last Lambo with that spec. I remember a few new ones sat around here for a bit.

19. white out

white out Formula 3

Mar 3, 2010
    Lambo will never be Ferrari when it comes to collector status and price hikes. But the manual cars are definitely demanding a premium.

Considering the price difference between the pre-LP and LP Gallardo and you wanting a stick. I would focus on a 2006+ pre-LP (or R8 V10 manual) for 9/10 of the experience.

If you're considering e-gear, make the bump to LP.

20. Andrew R.

Andrew R. Formula Junior

Jun 27, 2005
    Michigan
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    Lots of good points made in this thread, but the 550-2 is one of the most fun to drive!

21. EMILIO

EMILIO F1 Veteran

Feb 23, 2006
    Italia
    really amazing
    how many miles we are talking about?

22. Olivier NAMECHE

Aug 18, 2007
    CANADA
    Full Name:
    Olivier
    exactly what I mentionned :

23. Themaven

Themaven F1 Rookie

Nov 2, 2014
    Eastdown
    Full Name:
    Darius
    430 manuals have definitely appreciated 30-50 % in the past 18 months.

Back to Gallardos, can anyone explain the difference between the Balboni and the 550-2? Contemporary reports seem to suggest they are much the same thing, minus stripe. (And CCBs?) Engine and drive appear identical. Suspension? Seats, wheels? Body kit?

Sorry for all the questions

24. Olivier NAMECHE

Aug 18, 2007
    CANADA
    Full Name:
    Olivier
    The Balboni LP 550-2 is a limited serie of 250 units which didn't sell well, only 185 units sold, they were offered in 4 colors with the stickers, label plate, special interior... it was more easy to produce these cars, saving costs.... in order to present a better balancesheet at the end of the year !

The standard LP 550-2 was specified upon Customer request, but without all the Balboni stuffs...

So, they are identical technically !

If you wanted a bucket seat like in the Superleggera you could order it with the standard one, but not with the Balboni... idem with a specific external color or leather color, everything possible with the standard, not the Balboni.

There is no premium to pay either on a standard or on one of the 185x Balboni produced which was a commercial failure (74% sold).

25. noone1

noone1 F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jan 21, 2008
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Mike
    #25 noone1, Dec 30, 2016
    Last edited: Dec 30, 2016
    It's rare, but it was also rare because it kind of sucked. The Balboni was actually worse than the standard 550-2 that came after it. The Balboni has wheel hop issues.

The created the Balboni because people claimed they wanted a manual, RWD car. When the time came, no one bought one and it got mediocre reviews.

Is it collectible? I dunno. Idiots pay $600K for a manual 599 when you could just buy a CGT or Ford GT or something that's actually special.

I personally wouldn't expect a 550-2 Balboni to be very high on the ranks for people who want a manual, rare RWD car. Plenty of old Diablos and such available as well as far as collectible Lamborghinis go.

Even if the 550-2 were to go up in price, it's not going to go up in price any amount that you'd really care about. There are better investments, better cars, and better combinations of cars and investments than a Balboni IMO.