Gated Manual 360 Coupes - Modena Market | Page 25 | FerrariChat

Gated Manual 360 Coupes - Modena Market

Discussion in '360/430' started by Kevin Rev'n, Apr 4, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. wheelman76

wheelman76 Formula 3

Feb 22, 2004
    Midwest
    Tell me it's TDF and I would look at selling my NSX for it....

2. MrRdStr

MrRdStr Formula Junior

Feb 24, 2008
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    AJ.
  3. wheelman76

wheelman76 Formula 3

Feb 22, 2004
    Midwest

According to those who commented on his listing (which I thought was on here) he was priced according if not slightly less than he should have been when compared to other listings.

My take right now is that I think sellers have jumped the gun a little bit too much in terms of their increased asking prices over the last 12 months. The only manuals selling through are cherry ones (popular color/options and recent major service done) and are probably being nabbed by those with more money than sense who refuse to let the market come down a bit.

I've been watching the dark red one with racing seats since last year. It was $85k when I saw it first listed, then jumped to $104 (not sure if that was result of a speculator grabbing it) and now today I see he dropped down to $99. And he's selling hard with his description on eBay.

4. Gated

Gated Formula 3

Dec 21, 2009
  5. sherpa23

sherpa23 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 28, 2003
    Rocky Mountains
    Full Name:
    Bastuna
    #605 sherpa23, Apr 15, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 15, 2016
    I bought my daily driver Volvo from that guy via ebay and the car was absolutely not as advertised. He said it was free of dents, scratches, swirls, etc. and the car came with 8 dents, a cracked windshield, lots of scratches, and a bunch of other things (it had mold in it). Overall the car was nice and I've made it nicer by dumping money into it but the problem was that it was absolutely not as advertised in the ad and I paid extra for it based on the condition that he said it was in. I would not buy another car from him, especially a Ferrari, based on his word and his ads. I will say that he was pleasant enough to deal with but the dishonesty in the ad for my car left a bad taste in my mouth. If he had just said the problems that the car had, I would have paid the right price and not been totally disappointed when the car came looking like something completely different than what was listed in the eBay ad.

Look, I own four Ferraris and have owned 8 in my lifetime. I have never bought one that didn't need something to bring to my level of near perfection (I will admit that I'm OCD) but reading this ad, in light of my own purchase from the guy, I can't believe that someone will not be disappointed if they buy the car based on his word and his ad. And I am sure that the seller, Bruce, has no idea that I own several Ferraris or I'm involved in the Ferrari world.

Anyways, this is your public service announcement. You have been warned.

6. rmani

rmani F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    NJ
    Full Name:
    RMani
  7. Kevin Rev'n

Kevin Rev'n Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 29, 2009
    Honolulu
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    I see this as a pretty good result, as far as support for strong evaluation. There were about 6 bidders who were interested from 89K on up to the $94,900 highest bid. That is real money in the "eBay Game" for a car located in Wisconsin. I don't see ebay as a real great way to actually sell a car like a semi modern Ferrari though. I say this because it requires a lot of coordination and after the purchase monies to complete the sale and have everyone be happy. It is a great place to check things out though but at a cost to the seller. (more about that later)

Ebay is a sight unseen selling medium, I guess I should say not touched in person selling medium. You have pictures and maybe video but who is going to chuck 100% of their available monies toward a bid? Well no one that I know anyway. You have to hold back some bucks! Why?

1. Because you need to go see it = $.
    2. You need to have someone else look at it for you to do a PPI (if you are smart enough to realize that Ferrari purchase mistakes are costly) = $
    3. You need to get the car to you = $$
    4. You need to address whatever the car needs = $-$$$
    5. You need to account for all the time to do all this = $-$$

When I see a bid in an auction here is what goes through my mind. There are those guys that know that the car wont sell for a pittance and maybe dreamers that make a bid or two that are crazy low. They aren't real players. Maybe it's fun for them to have email alerts that "their Ferrari" is being bid up IDK. As the bids start to increase the transition between dreamer and someone who might actually be able to purchase start to separate. Toward the top of the bids you have guys that are seriously interested in this kind of a risky purchase because at the bid price they are willing to commit to it is still a no-brainer to deal with the possibility of buying a bad car.

So you may think I am a clown for thinking this way but here is my view of ebay cars. In my mind the last few high bids show a pile of chips that represents a no loss, low risk number where the buyer can't really loose? The logistics of getting to this car and actually bringing it home are going to be a nightmare and costly. What I see is the going rate for this set of circumstances, potential buyers who are looking at eBay cars right now, is about $95,000.

To me that reflects positively on the discussions here about increased value for the stick cars.

Now a bit more on the "cost" to seller for putting a car up for sale in eBay. As a fishing expedition to gain intel on where the market is ebay can be useful. The seller of this car now has some data where none existed before. The no guarantee blind purchase price for some pictures of a car on a computer screen is ~95,000! The cost to seller... the exposure. Why didn't it sell, will be the question. Was the expectation too high on the sellers part? If the market for this car is potentially small surely others have seen the ad and are making tweaks to their idea of the market. To realistically get this car a buyer was going to outlay some coin and assume a lot of risk.

I think that most people feel this way about an eBay purchase for an expensive exotic item and bid up to that point where they can afford to eat all the risk that a purchase like this creates. I think a lot of people do not advertise on eBay for this reason. The seller can work with the high bidder to see about reaching a deal which is a positive. Maybe the potential buyer guy can get some more guarantees and a feel for the sellers needs and get it done. Maybe the seller can get some more intel about the sellers concerns and address them in a future ad for a sale. Private party sales for Ferrari's is tough business. I think that is why so many are consigned.

Just my .02 food for thought.

8. shmluisfc

shmluisfc Karting

May 31, 2012
    The Rosso Barchetta car is mine. Bruce is my friend and just listing for me. The car is as nice as any 5k mile 360. It had clear bra on the entire front end. I removed it the paint is mint and original underneath. It is available for a PPI anywhere anyone wishes. Feel free to call me personally if anyone has any questions. BTW, I will do 90k only for an fchatter.

9. mello

mello F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 12, 2013
    CA Bay Area
    Full Name:
    Steve
  10. wheelman76

wheelman76 Formula 3

Feb 22, 2004
    Midwest
    That price is coming down fast now. Right around 92k-ish.... wish it wasn't too rich for my blood...

11. vinuneuro

vinuneuro F1 Rookie

May 6, 2007
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    Vig
    Fwiw the car is listed on fchat as well, and the seller here signs his posts as Ron.

http://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/ferraris/518207-2000-360-gated-6-speed-11-500-miles.html

12. Jonsav

Jonsav Formula Junior

Sep 26, 2014
    Canada
    You realize there are some listed in the states asking the same. He is simply matching prices

13. sherpa23

sherpa23 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 28, 2003
    Rocky Mountains
    Full Name:
    Bastuna
    That's not the car to which I was referring. Read my post.

Shmluisfc, you should list your car yourself. It would come off as a more genuine ad from an enthusiast owner instead of something that sounds like over the top claims from a used car salesman. Owner enthusiasts carry the day better than car salesmen.

14. shmluisfc

shmluisfc Karting

May 31, 2012
    I don't have an ebay account I use regularly. I listed it on Hemmings myself. Bruce just took my add and made an ebay add for me. It's a lot of work to put it on ebay and he's a friend. The car really is a gem in every way.

He will also do right by you for your Volvo deal.. Would you like me to get involved? It would be my pleasure and I'm sure he'll work with you.

15. sherpa23

sherpa23 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 28, 2003
    Rocky Mountains
    Full Name:
    Bastuna
    I appreciate your offering to help but it's okay. I think that Bruce lost money on the car and overall, he was pleasant enough to deal with.

My issue is based almost solely that he advertised the car as absolutely perfect cosmetically and a few other things, exactly like the wording in your ad (although it makes sense that your car actually should be perfect cosmetically), and it wasn't. It would cost me more to make right than it's worth spending on the car (close to $1k in all to fix everything). The big problem was that I paid up to get his car versus two local cars for a slightly lower price, one year newer, and with many fewer miles because I figured it was worth it to get a cosmetically perfect car. When the car came, it was not perfect like advertised and exactly like the other cars I looked at that I could have had for less. When I texted Bruce about the dents and scratches, he just sort of shrugged it off, as if he never represented the car as "absolutely dent and scratch free" and 8 dents, some scratches, and a small crack in the windshield is to be expected. As I said, it's a nice enough car but had he represented the car as it was, I would have known exactly what I would be getting and would have paid accordingly or gone with one of the local cars.

In the end, it's not a huge deal but it does leave a bad taste because it wasn't nearly as was advertised. Going forward, it's impossible for me to look at any of Bruce's ads and feel like the car is as he says it is. Yes, caveat emptor, as always, but I believe that the world needs a little trust to make it go round. Unfortunately, trust is like a piece of paper; once it's wrinkled up, it can never be made perfect again.

GLWS. You've been on this site for a long time and you know what buyers look for. I am sure that it's a nice car. It's more that I just can't trust Bruce's ads based wholly on my personal experience.

16. Way2fast

Way2fast Formula 3

May 24, 2006
    Santa Barbara County
    Full Name:
    Sam
  17. shmluisfc

shmluisfc Karting

May 31, 2012
    I understand where you're coming from. Sorry that happened to you.

MY 360 is in MY possession, and it is borderline showroom, if that's believable. It really is. Finders fee for anyone who gets me over 90. The car is absolutely is spectacular shape. Carbon seats, Barchetta color, and the gate make it awesome. The service level of this car makes it feel like a 5k mile car. Super tight and drives amazing. I am well traveled in the Ferrari world.

18. BMWM5

BMWM5 Karting

Jan 17, 2005
    Wisconsin
    I am the seller for the Ferrari 360 referred to above. When I read the post from above it seems to point to that I was the seller of the Volvo. I just wanted to clarify that that person is not me. My 360 is in mint condition, it is listed on Ferrari Chat and Cars.com. Ron.

19. BMWM5

BMWM5 Karting

Jan 17, 2005
    Wisconsin
    I am the seller for the Ferrari 360 referred to above. When I read the post from above it seems to point to that I was the seller of the Volvo. I just wanted to clarify that that person is not me. My 360 is in mint condition, it is listed on Ferrari Chat and Cars.com. Ron.

20. BladeMD

BladeMD Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Oct 20, 2015
    Sarasota, FL
    Full Name:
    Hannibal
  21. sherpa23

sherpa23 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 28, 2003
    Rocky Mountains
    Full Name:
    Bastuna
    #621 sherpa23, Apr 19, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 19, 2016
    I would want to know why it needed an engine out service. That's a red flag on a 360. But it looks like a really nice car.

22. Kevin Rev'n

Kevin Rev'n Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 29, 2009
    Honolulu
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    #622 Kevin Rev'n, Apr 19, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  23. BladeMD

BladeMD Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Oct 20, 2015
    Sarasota, FL
    Full Name:
    Hannibal
    You've got excellent taste, Kev ;)

Mine is close to this, but not quite. I keep looking on eBay for those Bordeaux seats with the black inserts. Would love to swap those for my solid Bordeauxs.

24. BladeMD

BladeMD Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Oct 20, 2015
    Sarasota, FL
    Full Name:
    Hannibal
    Agreed.... If it actually had an engine out service. My bet it was listed by a salesman who doesn't know enough about 360s to realize they don't need engine out service for belt.

25. sherpa23

sherpa23 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 28, 2003
    Rocky Mountains
    Full Name:
    Bastuna
    Highly likely, which is still a red flag, albeit a different one: what kind of service was it, what did it include, etc.? Are they liars or are they just ignorant?

If they don't even know that a 360 doesn't have an engine out service, how can you even trust what they tell you about the service?

Unfortunately, some of these dealer often do the bare minimum of service just to tack extra on the price and get it out the door but the quality of service is more important than the service itself. Just ask all the guys who bought cars "completely serviced" and priced that into their purchase only have to do it all over again less than a year later.