Great surprise I had in my neighborhood.. | FerrariChat

Great surprise I had in my neighborhood..

Discussion in 'Vintage (thru 365 GTC4)' started by paulchua, Mar 16, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    #1 paulchua, Mar 16, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    I've lived in my neighborhood now for almost ten years. Today, I saw one my neighbors a few blocks away with his garage open, and out of the corner of my eye, I saw a car that looked like a vintage Ferrari. I stopped my van, hopped out and saw this beauty.

I learned that he owned this and the another 250 GT coupe (he sold a few years ago for a small fortune) for over 50 years - I plan to interview him about his 250 GTE and hear about all his experiences. I will post that here as soon as I can set it up!

It needs some basic refurbishment but is engine is rock solid mechanically. It brought a huge grin on my face to see this rolling piece of art, especially hiding under my nose just 5 minutes way from my house! I'm trying to convince him to bring it out on our next drive.

It was great to meet him, and now become friends with another Ferrari fan.

:)
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. readplays

readplays Formula 3

Aug 22, 2008
    New York City
    Full Name:
    Dave Powers
    Love it. What a great patina.
    I'm sure Tom Wilson would love the serial number for his 250 GTE Registry if you can get it.
    Thanks for the pics!

3. TTR

TTR F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Riverside, CA
    Full Name:
    Timo
    Yes, it's always nice to discover things like this. I assume you had courtesy to request owners permission to publically share pictures of the car, especially any identifying it (license plate, etc.).

4. conlux

conlux Karting

Feb 2, 2010
    Seattle, WA
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Unless you're a cop or some other state official, is it even possible to identify a person through a license plate?

5. lancia

lancia Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 18, 2004
    I trust you have the gentleman's permission to post photos, including a plate, taken within a private garage?

6. amenasce

amenasce Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 17, 2001
    Full Name:
    Joe Mansion
    There are ways, esp with Ferrari registries. Some registries will keep licence plate # and a name.

7. dm_n_stuff

dm_n_stuff Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Yup,

Carfax cross references some cars by the plate.

D

8. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    #8 paulchua, Mar 16, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 16, 2017
    Definitely did! I asked if I can take pictures​ and publish on my blog! He is a true gentleman, had great stories!! I'm planning on filming an interview him about his experiences with owning this car for 50 years.

9. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    #9 paulchua, Mar 16, 2017
    Just one awesome story was he showed me the Italian mineral water that a mechanic left in the body frame!!!! Yes!!! He would often hear this ka-thunk noise for years that was driving him crazy, he decided to take out lining and try to solve it once and for all, inside was this bottle from the 60s!!

10. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    I will ask him if he would like to provide that. Thank for the kind words! I think the car is gorgeous. He is very nice and humble - I feel very privileged to meet him and experience this amazing car.

11. boxerman

boxerman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2004
    FL
    Full Name:
    Sean
    Awesome, its great to see an old ferrari kept by a real enthusiast who appreciated it for what it was, not polished and closeted as a precious gem of status. I assume this car been in Cali all along, so it has no rust and other issues.

love the MPH gradients taped over the Kms.

Thanks for sharing.

12. Glassman

Glassman F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

I'm assuming that you have not seen the thread "Show Us Your Plates" with 370 posts showing members cars with a picture of their license plates.

13. lancia

lancia Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 18, 2004
    It is one thing to post your plate yourself, or record a plate out on street in the public domain. In a private garage, that is different. paulchua did the right thing to get permission.

14. 300GW/RO

300GW/RO Formula Junior

Nov 7, 2010
    east end LI
    Full Name:
    Jack
    Always interesting that when view cars that have been owned by a singular individual for many years...their garage, rather what is IN it, provides clues to the "type" of owner from a "generation ago".

Notice the lathe and other "full-blown" mechanic/DIY equipment & tools. NO clean SS "shop system", no designer "flooring system" nor "lighting system" ! This owner and guys (gals??) like him in their time used, wrenched, tinkered and otherwise enjoyed the cars.....not objects 'd art.

Look forward to the stories.
    Jack

15. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    #15 paulchua, Mar 16, 2017
    lancia is correct! I'm glad people asked if I got permission. - it's good to make sure that the privacy of everyone is respected...that being said, the owner is very gracious and this car has 'no stories' (as far as I'm aware of!) so I don't think he is concerned of the existence of it being public or people knowing who the owner is.

He bought it for $2,500 btw...and he told me about how many people gave him such a hard time back then. We all know who has the last laugh now!

16. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    Hi Jack, you are 100% correct. He wrenches on the car all by himself. In fact, I'm going to be helping him replace a starter motor that's starting to go south. Another story he told me was he was driving in the middle of the Mojave dessert...get this..his car starts having problems. He pulls to the side, opens up the toolbox - fixes it right there! In the middle of the Mojave dessert!!

I have nothing but respect for the owner, and yet another reason these cars are so cool. You don't need computers and crazy tools to fix em' when they break. That is just awesome.

17. stevenwk

stevenwk F1 Veteran

Apr 12, 2007
    Metro Detroit
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Fantastic!! I love this kind of stuff.

(10 years ago, an elderly gentleman 2 miles from my house was having a garage sale that my wife and I stopped the car for.

In the garage, under a plain car cover, was a Fiat 8V Ghia Supersonic. I could tell from the pressed steel wheels.

He owned it for 50 years. I was blown away.

No one had a clue that the car existed as it had not been driven since early 1980s. He subsequently sold the car at auction.)

Keep us posted on the Ferrari you found!!

18. andrew911

andrew911 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 8, 2003
    Northern NJ
    Cool story!! Post pics of the mineral bottle too- I've heard stories about american cars with crushed beer cans in the doors in the dark years of the 70's (maybe around UAW strikes or simply cars that were built on a Friday afternoon with workers pre-gaming the weekend?)

I could care less about the license plate commentary & am more interested in the car and stories- looking forward to the video!

Over the years, we have had long term owners show at our local cars & coffee meets- one guy with a 300sl gullwing and convertible that he bought used, I think both in the 70's, another guy with a narrow body 289 cobra he bought used in either 1968 or 1969 (he recently passed and the car was sold at auction-beautiful car!), and another who had a 250SWB since probably the late 70's-80's. Interesting stories from all! There was a time when these were merely used cars, as hard as that seems to fathom

19. lancia

lancia Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 18, 2004
    With all due respect, you may not care, but the owner of the vehicle could seriously care. No offense intended, but understand that FChat is not open entitlement to private information.

20. stevenwk

stevenwk F1 Veteran

Apr 12, 2007
    Metro Detroit
    Full Name:
    Steve
    True, I myself, would not post any identifying information other than car photos, with no indication of the license plate number or chases #, etc. If the owner does not care, that's another story.....especially if the car has been off the radar for decades.

21. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    No worries friends, good looking out!!

22. andrew911

andrew911 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 8, 2003
    Northern NJ
    Uh, I get it (I don't need the explanation on privacy). My point is, the original poster discussed this now let's move on and talk about the car!

23. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    Thanks Andrew!! I'll try to post more info and convince him to come to our drives!

24. ersatzS2

ersatzS2 Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 24, 2009
    Norfolk VA
    some great details there. Love the plain jane radio blank-off plate. And someone's well-done homemade km-to-miles adapter on the speedo is priceless! hope no one ever removes it...

25. readplays

readplays Formula 3

Aug 22, 2008
    New York City
    Full Name:
    Dave Powers
    Noticed that as well in the OP's photos.
    Since he's owned the car for 50 years, lives in Menlo Park, and made that adaptation... I'm willing to bet he used/needed a slide rule at work when he was a young man.

Will be interesting to hear any more stories OP has to share.