Halo 2017 | Page 4 | FerrariChat

Halo 2017

Discussion in 'F1' started by Kiwi Nick, May 28, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Igor Ound

Igor Ound F1 Veteran

Sep 30, 2012
    The Horn
    Full Name:
    Igor Ound
    Why not give the teams freedom of coming up with whatever they like as long as they pass some new type of crash test?

2. crinoid

crinoid F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 2, 2005
    Full Name:
    LaCrinoid
    Trying to achieve a perception.

3. ELP_JC

ELP_JC Formula 3

Dec 13, 2008
    I agree the shield/thong are a reaction to a problem that cannot be solved. And that's trying to prevent all injuries and death of drivers traveling at over 200 mph. Just not going to happen. By using better strategies/rules, the great majority of accidents can be prevented. Some just will not, and that's unfortunately part of the sport. Unless racing in the rain is banned, as well as imposing a ridiculous top speed, there will continue to be accidents with injuries on racing. One F1 death (Bianchi) in the last 23 years (after Senna) is a heck of a record, and it was fully preventable. And no, neither halo nor shield would have saved JB (they can't deflect a freaking crane). Hopefully the FIA will reconsider the rule. Or is it irreversible by now?

4. subirg

subirg F1 Rookie

Dec 19, 2003
    Cheshire
    The voice of reason. This whole thing is an unnecessary over reaction.

5. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery
    They should either have a complete canopy like a fighter jet but with the dizziness factor Seb faced yesterday solved somehow (and it must have been really bad for him to pit after just one lap) because while this bullet proof glass thing would have saved Massa from injury in his Hungary spring into the helmet crash it would not have saved Henry Surtees, Justin Wilson or Markus Hottinger (at Hockhenheim in F2 in the early 80's) and no doubt numerous other such fatalities, as in those 3 cases the wheel (or nosecone for Wilson) came from above not from the front and neither the halo nor the the shield has any protection from above. Of course then you need the canopy to be able to come off quickly and reliably -detachable from both inside and outside-from an upturned car with an unconscious driver inside and a fire starting...

In Formula Ford at Brands Hatch in 1987 I recall a chap having a brake disc failure which tore the wheel and hub from the uprights and a moment later it all flew right over my helmet at the top of paddock hill bend...
    At Silverstone during a mixed test day in 88 I was in another FF and Steven Andskar in an F3000 went off at Abbey ahead of me, rejoined and a big stone whacked my helmet at over 100mph...inches above my visor...so only a full canopy will rid us of such risks but zero distortion and full safety in case of upturned car won't be easy to achieve....

MS

6. 4rePhill

4rePhill F1 Veteran

Oct 18, 2009
    Worcester, England
    Full Name:
    Phill J
    Neither the Halo or the shield are supposed to prevent all injuries and death of drivers travelling at 200mph - The concept of their design is to try to deflect debris, stray wheels and such-like away from the drivers heads.

You are correct in that neither device would have helped Jules Bianchi - Under the circumstances at the time, nothing would have, but a shield type device might have saved Felipe Massa from getting hit in the head in Hungary (an incident that could easily have had a fatal outcome!), and a halo type of device might have saved Henry Surtees life.

Certain incidents and accidents in motor racing highlight where possible safety improvements can be made (the HANS device being a classic example), and it would be irresponsible (and possibly criminal), for the FIA not to look into possible solutions to them, which is what they are attempting to do with the halo and shield devices.

The halo and shield devices are not a reaction to a problem that cannot be solved as you suggest, they are a reaction to problems that can possibly be solved.

As it stands, the FIA are saying that for 2018, there will a head protection device on the cars, and if the shield is not ready in time then it will be the halo device.

Don't get Me wrong, aesthetically I don't like either device, and think that, unlike the HANS device that was definitely required, neither the halo device or the shield device are really required, but I won't criticise the FIA for looking into possible solutions.

7. william

william Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006

... and Ayrton Senna would still be with us too perhaps ...

8. NEP

NEP F1 Rookie

Jul 19, 2010
    On Earth
    Full Name:
    Nigel
    JULY 19, 2017

F1 to discuss Shield in Wednesday meeting

The potential introduction of the cockpit protection solution known as 'Shield' will have top billing as F1's strategy group meets on Wednesday.

At Silverstone, Sebastian Vettel said he felt "dizzy" after becoming the first driver to try the transparent windscreen-type device aboard his Ferrari.

"Now we have to think about how we can solve all of the issues," an FIA source told Auto Motor und Sport.

Shield will apparently be discussed by the strategy group in Geneva, but it will not be until Monza and Singapore that more teams get to try the solution for the first time.

"There is a massive problem," Red Bull chief Christian Horner said. "We really needed to know two months ago for the build of our (2018) cars.

"So if we're having problems, I can only imagine what it's like for the smaller teams," he added.

Force India's Andy Green confirmed: "We cannot wait any longer."

The FIA has said that if the Shield is not approved, Halo will be introduced in 2018 instead.

But fearing outcry from fans about the mandatory imposition of the controversial solutions, the strategy group has vowed to prioritise the discussion of cockpit protection at its Wednesday meeting.

Italy's La Gazzetta dello Sport said another hot topic in Geneva will be the potential mandatory participation of drivers at promotional events like London last week, following the controversy over Lewis Hamilton's absence.

9. subirg

subirg F1 Rookie

Dec 19, 2003
    Cheshire
    Halo has been approved. Official. What a debacle. 9 out of 10 teams voted against it but it's still going on in 2018!

10. Bas

Bas Four Time F1 World Champ

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    Jean Todt does it again. Incredible.

9/10 teams denied use of Halo. Ridiculous! :mad:

You can NEVER go back from halo.

11. TifosiUSA

TifosiUSA F1 Veteran

Nov 18, 2007
    Kansas City, MO
    Full Name:
    DJ

Finally succeed in making the cars not look like a joke and then ruin it with this monstrosity.

LOL, only F1....

12. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006

Here we go.

Now the drivers will be used as unpaid participants to do Liberty's PR.

This really starts to stink of dictatorship !!!

We are back to ile ol' days of JM Ballestre.

13. Jack-the-lad

Jack-the-lad Six Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 22, 2004
    Moot Pointe
    Napoleon complex.

14. Jack-the-lad

Jack-the-lad Six Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 22, 2004
    Moot Pointe
    If combat aircraft canopies can be designed and manufactured without distortion I don't understand why a shield for an F1 car can't be.

15. jgonzalesm6

jgonzalesm6 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2016
    Corpus Christi, Tx.
    Full Name:
    Joe R Gonzales
    Here is an in-depth analysis (and videos: tyres shot with a nitrogen cannon into several designs and materials) of F1 cockpit renditions and materials.

It also talks about aircraft canopies and materials used. Thing to note with regards to aircraft canopies and F1 canopies is that aircraft canopies are wider compared to an F1 car. Aircraft canopies are designed to take birdstrikes(weight 1.8kg) at 1000kph. F1 car canopies (closed cockpit) deal with greater mass and solid objects at slower speeds.

The report makes comparisons to LMP1 cars but the roof acts as a roll over component plus 2 doors on either side...which would mean a total redesign of the monocoque in an F1 car. LMP1 cars have windshield wipers so they can drive in the rain.

F1 cockpit safety

F1 cockpit safety - Racecar Engineering

16. jgonzalesm6

jgonzalesm6 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2016
    Corpus Christi, Tx.
    Full Name:
    Joe R Gonzales
    #91 jgonzalesm6, Jul 19, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Here are two pics of what the Halo looks like inside the cockpit of an F1 car. I would think the Ferrari pic is the best example due to it being a more "realistic" look.

I can see how that middle part(Y area or T area) would obscure the driver's field of vision.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

17. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
  18. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006
    +1

19. ELP_JC

ELP_JC Formula 3

Dec 13, 2008
    That's my view too. And not only that; it wouldn't have prevented any of the latest accidents it's supposed to prevent for sure IMO. A spring or tire could still hit the driver's head. I'd say raising the sides next to the helmet a little more to cover their heads in case of hitting a wall sideways (they can't see crap now, or turn their heads anyway), plus making the helmets stronger would be a more effective way to deal with driver safety IMO, and without affecting visibility. But guess the thong it is for now.

20. andrewecd

andrewecd Formula Junior

Dec 17, 2006
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    Biggest joke ever. That's not F1 to me anymore.
    One day when some debri flies under the Halo and still strikes the driver, what will they say then?
    Not convinced the halo would have saved Massa or Jules anyway.

21. furoni

furoni F1 World Champ

Jun 6, 2011
    Vila Verde
    Full Name:
    Pedro Braga Soares
    This is just bstupid, rushing things over without being properly tested or without being a good solution..simply because someone as an agenda or deadline to fullfil...unfortunatly we all know to well the consequences of these rushed decisions.

22. 4rePhill

4rePhill F1 Veteran

Oct 18, 2009
    Worcester, England
    Full Name:
    Phill J
    There's a slight difference in the size of a fighter jet's canopy and the F1 shield.

The tighter curvature required for the shield device creates the distortion - It's not hard to understand.

23. Igor Ound

Igor Ound F1 Veteran

Sep 30, 2012
    The Horn
    Full Name:
    Igor Ound
  24. NEP

NEP F1 Rookie

Jul 19, 2010
    On Earth
    Full Name:
    Nigel

On the FIA website they have approved the 2016 voting:-

"Frontal cockpit protection

Following the unanimous agreement of the Strategy Group, in July 2016, to introduce additional frontal protection for Formula One and the repeated support from the drivers, the FIA confirms the introduction of the Halo for 2018. With the support of the teams, certain features of its design will be further enhanced."

25. TifosiUSA

TifosiUSA F1 Veteran

Nov 18, 2007
    Kansas City, MO
    Full Name:
    DJ
    And to think people were worried about the aesthetics of T-wings. LOL