Harvey victim | FerrariChat

Harvey victim

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by TX348, Sep 1, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. TX348

TX348 Rookie

Sep 2, 2008
    Houston
    Need help
    My 348 TS is currently sitting in a couple of feet of water and it looks like I won't be able to get to it for at least another week or so. Can anyone recommend someone here in Houston that can take care of her after I get her out? She has always been serviced by Norwood performance in Dallas but that's a long way away

2. dm_n_stuff

dm_n_stuff Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

3. UroTrash

UroTrash Three Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Jan 20, 2004
    Purgatory
    Full Name:
    Clifford Gunboat
    Sorry for your loss.

But I'll have to ask, if a hurricane is coming, why one would not get their Ferrari out of harm's way?

Surely radar showed the hurricane coming for several days?

4. Island Time

Island Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 18, 2004
    E. TN
    Full Name:
    David
    you don't want any car that's been in 2' of water. Total it.

5. silver1331

silver1331 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 9, 2009
    I had a vehicle get flooded in a parking garage (burst pipe) and most likely the car will be totaled. Generally insurance companies will declare a vehicle a total loss if water has breached the inner sill.

6. fatbillybob

fatbillybob Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 10, 2002
    socal
    It is super hard to get flood cars reliable again which is why they are totaled by insurance cos. Best to total it or sell it cheap to someone who would make a racecar out of it. But if you love that 348 it is one of the easiest Ferraris to rebuild because there are so few incestuous electronic systems. There is only 2 ecus in a 348 where you got many ecus in a 458 and several wiring harnesses so lots of stuff to buy. Then the sweat equity you would have to put in or labor hours you need to pay for would be big to say the least.

7. energy88

energy88 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2012
    West of Fredericksburg, VA
    Full Name:
    John
    Sorry to hear of your loss.

8. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    PM sent.....mine is dry so I have time to go get it.

Tow trucks are hard to find right now understandably, but my Metal Shop has a trailer and winch.

Let's go get it.
    Alan

9. BigTex

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    I am sure Sphere is swamped.....LOL!
    They are six block s south of White Oak.

Once on a trailer I suggest this independent up here in Woodlands.
    They work on the older cars.

He can take a shot at "submersion conversion" or get a nice estimate for your underwriter to work with.

10. Dave rocks

Dave rocks F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Nov 23, 2012
    Orchard Park, NY
    Full Name:
    Dave Lelonek
    I'm sorry to say, the cost to restore the car just won't align with the value. But, if you can do the bulk of the work yourself and the car has sentimental value, it can be turned around. Good luck with it - I hope it works out for you.

11. BigTex

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    My neighbors were amazed at my work in two feet of running water!

Big ropes, cable winches, jack stands...

It certainly LOOKED odd, perched out of water on jack stands surrounded by flooded "regular cars"....but it was dry and started the next day.

I warned them that if a picture made the 'net, I was going to be mad!
    And they see me carry guns all the time...LOL!

I finally found the timber blocks I was looking far so valiantly...the FIAT Spider was already perched on them in Garage #3!!

Found it yesterday!

12. BigTex

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    348 is $55K to $75, from our ads.....that will buy a lot of CRC....

13. drjohngober

drjohngober Formula 3

Jul 23, 2006
    Cville and Gbury Tex
    Full Name:
    Dr.John Gober
    Hey , the Bugatti survived a launch into the gulf ( wayward pelican if I recall correctly) and was miraculously rebuilt without an issue :)

14. BigTex

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    That guy went to Federal Prison for insurance fraud.

Seriously, my insurance company has NO idea where my Ferraris and Ducatis were, last Sunday!!
    "Somewhere in ZIP Code 77008, why??" :D :D :D

Those of you saying "just move it" do not understand how far, and how deep, this water was over traditional "low areas of concern".

15. Dave rocks

BANNED

Nov 23, 2012
    Orchard Park, NY
    Full Name:
    Dave Lelonek
    The car will become a total loss from the insurance company, assuming no agreed valve policy, based on Hagerty (concours condition)...$69K value. Then, he would need to buy it back for some amount. Say he net's $55K. It will cost a whole bunch to bring the car back to life and when it's done, it will have a salvage title.

I'm very sorry for the OP's loss, but my other post stands.

16. smg2

smg2 F1 World Champ
    Sponsor

Apr 1, 2004
    Dumpster Fire #31
    Full Name:
    SMG
    Sorry to hear, but yeah, it's a total loss. The electronics are not the big issue here as the 348 is not overly intensive in that regard. The interior is shot, the wiring will be shot and water will corrode in places you can only imagine. It's a parts car at this point unfortunately. That's the problem, the sheer amount of labor to strip it down to dry it out and sort all the issues makes it a total loss. Very sorry to hear.

For those not aware, Ferrari did not 'pot' or fully seal the connectors and wiring loom ends of the harness even up to the 360. Once submerged water will ingress into the wiring under the insulation and corrode the harness from the inside out, guaranteed. I've seen it and delt with it more then once. As we can all imagine the cost to strip down and replace the entire chassis and engine harness would exceed the value instantly. And that's just the electrical harness, ECU's and all sensors that use chassis ground (all of them) will need to be replaced as well.

17. BigTex

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    Agree, but we have NO idea what coverage he actually has.

Only a Certified ReBuilder can buy an insurance loss, I recently faced that, with my daughter's low miles car (Saturn Sky crushed from the rear).

As my Body Shop pointed out, CARFAX had already destroyed the equity!!
    I was just being neighborly....:D

There's a garage of cars (Ferraris and others) on DUBS that well never roll again.

18. BigTex

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    Houston is hurting, I am trying to be cheerful!!!

19. BMW.SauberF1Team

BMW.SauberF1Team F1 World Champ

Dec 4, 2004
    Probably because there are more important things to take care of and it was likely insured anyway.

OP, sorry to hear what happened to your car. Having something one works hard for like a house or nice car taken away in an instant must be terrible. I can't imagine what that must be like.

If it has sentimental value, you could probably buy a wiring harness and interior from some Fcar salvages places. Only do that if it has sentimental value otherwise it's not cost-effective.

20. TX348

TX348 Rookie

Sep 2, 2008
    Houston
    Yeah... We saw it coming. Supposed to be no big deal. Jack stands wouldn't have helped unless I could get it for a 5ft above the garage floor. I have jack stands just so everyone knows. the news said that it's forty Thousand Years since there's been this much rain. My garage is at least 6ft above Street grade no one saw this coming. Once the reservoirs filled up there was nowhere else for the water to go so it just continued to back up it was coming in faster than they could let it out.
    I think it's the insurance company's problem at this point. Oh well, I always did want a Pantera, lol
    It does have sentimental value, I acquired it right after the divorce from the X2 but at this point it is what it is

21. Dave rocks

BANNED

Nov 23, 2012
    Orchard Park, NY
    Full Name:
    Dave Lelonek
    Just be sure to fight to get the highest value. Don't let them use Hagerty values - NADA are usually higher. Get a pro to give an appraisal. It's going to be hard to argue condition so say it was mint. Don't settle for a bad payout. Hopefully you get enough to find and buy a better one :)

22. cmt6891

cmt6891 Formula 3

Feb 25, 2008
    Encino, Ca
    Full Name:
    Carl T
    The car should be totaled as all flood cars should be. If you are fortunate to buy it back by negotiating a price higher than the usual car breakers, then part it out. All but the electrical and interior has value. The big quesion is how much value? Always wondered what a flood car, like this one, would the insurance company sell for to a dismantler.

23. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    If you get a Pantera make damn sure you have someone look at the frame rails for rust. You don't want to be jumping out of a frying pan into the fire.

And, always look at the bright side of things.

24. fatbillybob

fatbillybob Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 10, 2002
    socal
    Not true. drivetrain total loss too. You can't just dry out crankcases with water oil mix. You have to tear down clean out and reseal everything. I would never buy a flood engine for example. But the core of the motor is fine as long as it didn't sit so long as to rust and seize.

25. Andy 355

Andy 355 Formula Junior

Jun 2, 2013
    Sydney
    I wonder how many un insured cars are out there after being flooded and then 'rescued' .......... your insurance company can't total loss your ferrari if its not insured....