Help with Daytona hood struts please | FerrariChat

Help with Daytona hood struts please

Discussion in 'Vintage (thru 365 GTC4)' started by Juan-Manuel Fantango, Jun 24, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Juan-Manuel Fantango

Juan-Manuel Fantango F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 18, 2004
    Full Name:
    Juan
    #1 Juan-Manuel Fantango, Jun 24, 2016
    Last edited: Jun 24, 2016
    Anyone have a source for these? I think I found a set at about 1800 us. At that price I was thinking why can't these be rebuilt? A local shop says they're hard to find but thought they would be around 1200us. The 1800price are Re-Originals.

Where the ones in period used on any other makes? Any real ones left or is that a dumb question?

2. Ed Niles

Ed Niles Formula 3
    Honorary

Sep 7, 2004
    West Hills, CA
    Full Name:
    Edwin K. Niles
    Can't be specific about Daytonas, but I have simply gone into Pep Boys with an old to match. Of course it doesn't have a Ferrari logo or part no...

3. Ferrari 360 CS

Ferrari 360 CS F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 4, 2004
    Cape Town,SA
    Full Name:
    Jacques
    Recently completed a restoration on a Daytona and the struts were fairly easy to find, will try find the invoice and got the correct stickers from Bonini and then it was just a case of looking at many, many pictures of Daytona struts to ensure the stickers were stuck in the correct place.

4. Edward 96GTS

Edward 96GTS F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    i have an original daytona hood strut.
    email me if interested.

5. 365GTC/4

365GTC/4 Formula 3

Apr 7, 2005
    Melbourne, Australia
    Full Name:
    John
    Do you have the old ones? If you do they can be rebuilt no trouble. I got my C4 struts rebuilt for a $100 or something really cheap and they look factory fresh. No sign that they were regassed.

6. Juan-Manuel Fantango

Rossa Subscribed

Jan 18, 2004
    Full Name:
    Juan
    #6 Juan-Manuel Fantango, Jun 24, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Yes, and really? Please share. Here's a few pictures of the Daytona and Garage. The engine bay needs tiding up as well, but overall a great driving car. That said and looking at this picture tonight, I am not sure they may be replacement struts. I'll have to check tomorrow. i just know she would like it to be correct whatever she does.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

7. Colombo1

Colombo1 Rookie

Jan 25, 2009
    That strut looks correct, but your air filter housing is not typical of USA spec Daytonas. They usually have eight hold down nuts on the cover.

8. Juan-Manuel Fantango

Rossa Subscribed

Jan 18, 2004
    Full Name:
    Juan
    Interesting. We plan to have the engine bay restored. I wonder how that happened or if it came that way for some reason.

9. isaydingdong

isaydingdong Formula Junior

Apr 18, 2014
    ny
    Full Name:
    Sy Sperling
    Early daytonas have the three bolt air cleaners, great collection

10. Juan-Manuel Fantango

Rossa Subscribed

Jan 18, 2004
    Full Name:
    Juan
    Thanks, she's happy although it would be nice to have a 330 or 250 added. The Daytona is a 71, with about 17,000 on the clock. One Bo Pirckle repaint. Just need to detail the engine bay staring, replace the struts, etc. i wonder if she should put the emissions back on.

11. floridadoorman

floridadoorman Formula Junior

Jan 14, 2014
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Alex
  12. isaydingdong

Apr 18, 2014
    ny
    Full Name:
    Sy Sperling
    yes

13. Colombo1

Colombo1 Rookie

Jan 25, 2009
    Are you sure that includes USA cars with emissions components?
    The small square ignition boxes would indicate mid to late 1971 production. This car would be quite unique if the Euro style air cleaner assembly was installed at the factory. Perhaps there is an interesting order/delivery explanation for this anomaly.

14. TTR

TTR F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Riverside, CA
    Full Name:
    Timo
    OE Daytona hood strut operation design is based on hydraulic fluid pressure control, not compressed gas, but can and some have been converted/modified with latter to varying degree of authentic appearance.
    Awhile ago I was working with a manufacturer on more aesthetically pleasing design solution, but shelved the project until these recently made available reproductions have been "field vetted".
    I need to replace them on couple of cars, but not impressed with currently available gas conversations, I just ordered a pair of the "OE type reproductions" to see if their quality is acceptable, but it'll be awhile before I have affirmative opinion on them.
    If any one has experience with these, I too am all ears.

P.S. To OP: As noted earlier and based on "conventional wisdom" the air cleaner housing in your car might be incorrect for a '71 U.S. example with "small" dinoplexes.
    IIRC, there was a thread here few weeks ago where some one was looking to exchange their "incorrect" any one in similar situation, but I don't recall which one they have.
    Perhaps worth of search ?

15. 365GTC/4

365GTC/4 Formula 3

Apr 7, 2005
    Melbourne, Australia
    Full Name:
    John
    1. C4 struts are not the same as on a Daytona. Here is the link but it is in Australia. I am sure there are guys in the USA that can do the same. Certainly these guys did my 2 struts for US$80. Cheap AND they were perfect. I looked at them under a magnifying glass to see how they took them apart but I could not see anything. They looked perfect.
    Strut Re-Gas

2. Make sure the pressure is correct. Too high and it can stress the hood where the struts attach. It is just thin aluminium, same as a C4. In a C4 the correct pressure is 15psi.

3. Your garage looks fabulous. Congratulations.

4. I would leave the emissions gear off. More horsepower = better if you drive the car. My experience is that the Euro C4s go harder and sound better than USA C4s.

John

16. isaydingdong

Apr 18, 2014
    ny
    Full Name:
    Sy Sperling
    I would think the serial number would dictate which air clear is correct, ignition boxes could have been changed. Many parts were retrofitted in the late 70's.
    It could have the wrong air cleaner, but who cares the car looks stunning:)

17. Colombo1

Colombo1 Rookie

Jan 25, 2009
    Good point, ignition boxes are likely a false indication. Probably an earlier S/N as I just noticed the older style engine bay light shown in the photo.

18. Edward 96GTS

Edward 96GTS F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    definitely a 1971 model.

19. Juan-Manuel Fantango

Rossa Subscribed

Jan 18, 2004
    Full Name:
    Juan
    #19 Juan-Manuel Fantango, Jul 24, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  20. TTR

TTR F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Riverside, CA
    Full Name:
    Timo
    Thanks for reporting back. Looks to be correct, but if you wouldn't mind taking one or two photos with a ruler or tape measure laying next to it showing total length and those of the housing and the rod.
    Also, could you report back how well they work once installed.
    As for the decals, I wasn't there when originals were made or installed, but based on personal observations of fairly original and unrestored cars, I would venture a guess they weren't directional specific back then. All were probably manufactured with logo printed in same location and facing same direction. Installer of the struts at Scagliettis, if anything, likely just made sure the label was visible with hood open.
    Personally, I would tend to consider some point deduction if during judging I'd notice them facing opposite directions in the same engine bay (which I've seen on more than one occasion).

21. Juan-Manuel Fantango

Rossa Subscribed

Jan 18, 2004
    Full Name:
    Juan
    Will do. We were going to have our pro install them but looks like a simple unbolt and install. Should have them on this weekend.

22. steve meltzer

steve meltzer Formula 3

Sep 18, 2004
    with Enzo 8995
    I just went through this with my Daytona conversion Spyder. The struts are easy to R&R, just be certain the hood is supported during the process (I used some old long wood stakes, being careful not to tear or damage anything). Mine were rebuilt by Frank Irvine at Strutwise as suggested earlier. Very nice guy, and they look great and work well. When all of the shipping is said and done (he's in Canada) you'll be in it for about $150 per strut, and the turnaround is slow. BTW: I have 2 sets (of 2 each) correct stickers if anyone is interested. steve

23. TTR

TTR F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Riverside, CA
    Full Name:
    Timo
    Were you able to install/test them yet ?

24. TTR

TTR F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Riverside, CA
    Full Name:
    Timo
    Sorry to bother you with this again, but I was wondering if you've had chance to install them yet ?
    I contacted Re-Originals few weeks ago regarding their return or warranty policies for these, but have not received courtesy of reply, so any advise or reference (from any one ?) would be appreciated.

Timo

P.S. To all: I'm not interested in any of the currently available "gas strut" -conversions (Been there, done that, not too pleased).

25. yale

yale Formula Junior

May 2, 2004
    New York City
    I have found the Re-Originals folks are great at taking things back, which is a good thing :)