Hillsborough Concours: how prestigious? | FerrariChat

Hillsborough Concours: how prestigious?

Discussion in 'Vintage (thru 365 GTC4)' started by freestone, Jul 17, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. freestone

freestone Formula Junior

Feb 8, 2005
    West Coast USA
    How respected is winning best in class at Hillsborough? How does the judging rank compared to other events? Quality of entrants?

2. Jeff Kennedy

Jeff Kennedy F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 16, 2007
    Edwardsville, IL
    Full Name:
    Jeff Kennedy
    The judging you want that matters is IAC/PFA. This is the standard that is used at the FCA International Meet, Cavallino and the Ferrari Class at Pebble. It is used at some other events and is starting to be used at a couple of European events.

IAC/PFA requires 3 qualified judges for each class. The judges are qualified for the category of model(s) that they judge. There is a standardized scoring system.

The FerariClubofAmerica.org website has a good discussion on the IAC/PA and the judging criteria.

3. xs10shl

xs10shl Formula 3

Dec 17, 2003
    San Francisco
    I've seen a few of the local collectors show some pretty big cars at Hillsborough, although perhaps not for judging. It's also not atypical to see a car which is either on it's way to Pebble or just been there. One show I remember featured several rare Astons, including a DBR1 and at least one or two other period Zagato bodied Astons - again, I believe for display.

4. redfred84

redfred84 Formula Junior

Dec 24, 2010
    SF Bay Area, USA
    The Hillsborough Concours has been the longest running in California I believe. It is considered prestigious, but also brings out the local material that may be considered as more of the driving league. This is always welcome.
    At most of the California Concours, (Not Pebble), the judging is conducted by the SCCA. The SCCA holds various seminars throughout the year to keep the judges keen. However, it is always another body that judges the Ferrari. I've always thought it was a facet of some Ferrari Club that conducts this?
    There is also a tour connected to the Concours, held the day before on Saturday. I've been to most of the local, Nor Cal Concours, and I consider this to be one of my favorites.

RF.

5. freestone

freestone Formula Junior

Feb 8, 2005
    West Coast USA
    Thanks.

My restorer entered one of my cars (not a Ferrari) and it won best of class so I was curious (I have never been to the event). I was asked about a Ferrari of mine so I wasn't sure whether to have that entered.

6. PFSEX

PFSEX Formula Junior

Jun 30, 2006
    Las Vegas
    Full Name:
    John Ratto
    I have been attending/judging/showing at this show since the late 1960s.

from the late 60s through the 80s, it was by far the most prestigious concours in Northern California. As mentioned by someone else, the judges were SCCA, and they were very good. Marque judges were often brought in to judge special classes.

Then sometime in the late 70s or early 80s a community fair (the show was/is held at a school in Hillsborough) was attached to the show. As the fair became more important, the show diminished. By the mid 90s, Hillsborough had become a fair with a car show. And Palo Alto had become the most important concours in northern California.

There was some effort made in the early 2000s to restore Hillsborough's luster, but I don't know if it has been successful because I moved away from the area in 2003 and haven't kept up on developments.

7. Titanium

Titanium Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

May 24, 2015
    Hayward, CA
    Full Name:
    Thomas Alessi
    The show is SCCA but the Ferrari judging was by IACFA - full team of three Ferrari judges - invitation to enter sent out by FCA. Quality cars including some shown previously at Pebble Beach.

Check out thread under 599/612! 😁

8. todaxyz

todaxyz Karting

Jul 16, 2009
    Nor Cal
    Full Name:
    Tom
    The show is much improved since they moved it off the school ground and on to the golf course nearby. It's a beautiful setting, they limit the number of cars and each car has a metal plaque printed with information about the make and model that the owner gets to keep. I've entered cars in the different shows in the area and must say that this one is one of the best run. All entrants get a very nice appreciation gift and the class winners usually get something very nice.