Honda: no evidence of Alonso engine problem | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Honda: no evidence of Alonso engine problem

Discussion in 'F1' started by TheMayor, Aug 27, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. 4rePhill

4rePhill F1 Veteran

Oct 18, 2009
    Worcester, England
    Full Name:
    Phill J
    I have a lot of dealing's with the Japanese, and I know for a fact that this entire McLaren/Honda situation will be a major embarrassment to Honda, and will be hurting their pride to a massive degree.

They will battle on and on to prove they were working along the right lines all along if they can, but the bosses of Honda may well be looking to just stop the entire project ASAP if possible, just as they did at the end of 2008, they just need a suitable excuse, and "No teams available to supply for 2018" would do quite nicely!

2. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    Let's get one thing straight.

Ferrari or Mercedes and probably Renault have NO INTEREST in helping "McLaren" or "Alonso".

NONE.

McLaren and Honda made this mess. It's not their job to help them out of it.

And Alonso hasn't helped himself with bridge burning over the years...

If Alonso wasted his years away that was his call and his actions. So be it.

3. william

william Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006
    +1

4. CornersWell

CornersWell F1 Rookie

Nov 24, 2004
    ALO may be difficult, but he's also still one of the (if not THE) best drivers on the grid. Someone ought to want his skills. That said, his statistics certainly won't look good over the long term. His early WDCs were with a dominant team. He's been unlucky, maybe, in his jumps since then, but many consider him to be the best race and development driver, I believe.

CW

5. jcurry

jcurry Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 16, 2012
    In the past
    Full Name:
    Jim
    He was being blown away on long straights. It was all about power.

6. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006

Alonso's form is unknown at this present time; his last win was in ... 2013!

Not much since. In the last 3 years, he never had a car to fight among the leaders.

Mercedes, Ferrari and Red Bull are well provided for.

The "lesser" teams, like Williams, Renault, Haas, Sauber, Force India, etc... haven't shown any interest in him.

That's the reality, and a sure indication of his market value in F1 at this point.

Also, Alonso didn't drive for a dominant team when he won his 2 WDC titles.

His car wasn't the best, but Renault had a better grip on tyre management than the other teams.

7. Agent Smith

Agent Smith Formula 3

Apr 20, 2002
    Seems to me like another whiny Alonso temper tantrum. "I'm not going to get any points so I'll throw my rattle and park the car." If that was the typical driver attitude then almost a third of them every race wouldn't even bother to finish once the pecking order becomes clear. I think this is more like universal karma on Alonso than anything else.

Not saying there aren't significant problems with the Honda engines. There most certainly are. But Alonso's whole attitude and poisonous history in racing teams isn't doing him any favors either, no matter what his driving skill level. The lack of people jumping up and down to sign him up shows that too.

8. sammysaber

sammysaber Formula Junior

Dec 21, 2011
    It's not quite as simple as that though - for example if Hamilton were to want to move from Merc next season who would realistically have him - Red Bull probably would be happy with their current drivers, Ferrari wouldn't take him, and the lesser teams would be either thinking if his talent would be worth his costs if they're not champion contenders or if he is going to have tantrums in a lesser car - actually not that different from Alonso all things considered,

Best,
    Sammy

9. subirg

subirg F1 Rookie

Dec 19, 2003
    Cheshire
    Alonso might be frustrated by Honda, but he has nowhere to go. Parking it was a reasonable thing to do under the circumstances, but it won't change anything. So what are Honda going to do as a result of this? Work harder? Doubt it - you can be sure they will be working night and day to try and get on top of their issues already. This mess isn't going to improve until at least 2018 and Alonso, Honda and McLaren know it.

As for 2018 engines - McLaren and Honda will still be together. There is no alternative.

10. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006
    All that are speculations.

Alonso is on the ropes now.

11. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006

+1

I would be curious to know who would be interested now in hiring the feisty Spaniard.

He is damaged goods with his impossible attitude.

12. CornersWell

CornersWell F1 Rookie

Nov 24, 2004
    Really? Pretty sure Renault won the WCC in those years, too (2005 and 2006).

I suppose we can argue over the semantics of what the definition of dominant is, but the reality is they figured out the best package on the grid in those seasons. I don't recall the spread in the points, however.

CW

13. merstheman

merstheman F1 Rookie

Apr 13, 2007
    São Paulo, Brazil
    Full Name:
    Mario
    Do not underestimate a Williams with a Mercedes engine, Paddy Lowe supervised design, and Alonso as a driver, which is well within reality. I think Felipe will actually retire at the end of this year.

I also think the McLarens will be powered by a Honda engine next year.

14. TheMayor

Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    I don't think you can win a WDC today unless you drive for a factory supplier team. They always get the best stuff.

Alonso is no fool. He knows this.

15. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006
    Of course Renault bagged the WCC as well, but it wasn't because they had a dominant car; it was mostly down to better tyre management that the rest of the field.
    Raikkonen had a superior car with the McLaren-Mercedes, but suffered several DNFs due to violent tyre failures, causing even wheel loss or suspension breakage.

16. 375+

375+ F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2005
    I don't think that he has an impossible attitude. He has incredible talent, tenacity and an unrelenting will to win--as all World Champions do. Who would want to live with Lewis's narcissist BS?

17. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006
    Alonso is poison in a team, as he has proven several times; he likes to add insult to injury.

... and time isn't on his side either.

The answer to your question regarding Hamilton is ... Mercedes.

They are quite happy with their line-up it seems.

He may be a bit of a prima dona, but he delivers; it's all that matters.

18. TheMayor

Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    It's funny but last week I saw a replay of Alonso's stunt in the McLaren pits to stall Hamilton to go out so he didn't have time for one last run to get a pole.

Ron Dennis was fuming at Alonso's manager. I forgot how blatant it was. Talk about "corrosive"!

19. rotaryrocket7

rotaryrocket7 Formula Junior

Dec 7, 2011
    Eden Prairie, MN
    Full Name:
    Matt
    There was an engine problem. The engine couldn't keep up with everyone else's, I don't think he said the engine failed, it just had a problem 😏

20. TheMayor

Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    Irony:

Alonso to Honda: "There's something wrong with the engine! It has no power!"

Honda to Alonso: "No, that's normal" :)

21. Ferrari 308 GTB

Ferrari 308 GTB F1 Veteran

Feb 21, 2015
    Tropical
    Honda are providing the big A$$ bucks to also pay Alonso's salary.

If i was Hasegawa,or his top management, i would tell McLaren that they no longer want him in that seat due to his endles very public criticisms and outbursts etc etc.

They might even try to put Matsu****a in the car.Make Stubble the No1 driver and carry on.Or even give Lando Norris a run.

Alonso really should just Foxtrot Oscar asap...nobody wants him ...its over!

22. Igor Ound

Igor Ound F1 Veteran

Sep 30, 2012
    The Horn
    Full Name:
    Igor Ound
    Team to Alonso: "No more radio until the end of the race!"

23. Need4Spd

Need4Spd F1 Veteran

Feb 24, 2007
    Silicon Valley

The car doesn't have enough power to expose any weakness in the chassis! LOL

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

24. subirg

subirg F1 Rookie

Dec 19, 2003
    Cheshire
    I commented after quali that it was amazing that Alonso could take Pouhon flat. But then I realised that a soapbox racer can accelerate faster than a Honda powered f1 car...

25. Jeronimo GTO

Jeronimo GTO Formula 3

May 15, 2010