How about some pictures of our 365/400/412s | Page 6 | FerrariChat

How about some pictures of our 365/400/412s

Discussion in '365 GT4 2+2/400/412' started by Ak Jim, Jan 19, 2011.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. brettski

brettski Formula 3

Feb 29, 2004
    north of toronto
    Full Name:
    brett swaykoski
    #126 brettski, Oct 11, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    it warms my heart to hear other multiple Ferrari owners say that they love their 400 series car and their high-strung 2 seater in equal measure...
    i did back to back, high speed one hour runs in the TR and the 400 yeaterday...sure, the TR wins hands down for pure performance...but it doesn't change the fact that that i love my 400 more.

the most important reason i moved out of the greater Toronto area was to have immediate access to beautiful coutry roads...at any given moment, i'm only 30 seconds from my version of driving heaven.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

dfhawk, kuwait355 and F456M like this.
  2. alastairhouston

alastairhouston Formula Junior

Apr 19, 2009
    Largs Scotland UK
    Full Name:
    Alastair Houston
    Jings dont blame you for moving out there that looks fabulous. Great stuff.

Regards
    Alastair

3. kliko312

kliko312 Karting

May 21, 2008
    NLD
    Full Name:
    Graaf
    #128 kliko312, Oct 14, 2011
    Jim575 and kuwait355 like this.
  4. GrigioAlloy

GrigioAlloy Karting

Sep 28, 2009
    Netherlans
    Full Name:
    Peter
    Hello Jan,

Too early for winter.This may be the last nice weekend of the year. But how are you going to manage dtiving all 3 of them ? You can do your own club meeting.

Ever considered turning one into a rally car. I have seen the 365GT4 2+2 drifting in the snow and was ready to rebuild the 412. Only to discover it is too young.

Then you really can get ready for winter!

Great garage.

Saluti, Peter

5. dinopaul

dinopaul Formula Junior

Jan 27, 2010
    Paris, FRANCE
    Full Name:
    Paul

Howard,

According to the Ferrari Serial Numbers book written by Hilary A. Raab Jr., your car was delivered new to a person called Makan, in Australia. And It is the 87rd 365 GT4 2+2 RHD produced about 135 produced.

Please keep us in touch with the restoration !

Paul

6. davidoloan

davidoloan Formula Junior

May 6, 2009
    Full Name:
    David
    Does the 412 really sound this good?

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k59DaWQqzio[/ame]

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmQqPUvq_3w[/ame]

7. squidmark

squidmark Karting

Sep 11, 2011
    Oxford
    Full Name:
    Howard Dent
    #132 squidmark, Oct 20, 2011
    Paul,
    How odd - I have recently made contact with Tony Willis (Maranello Concessionaires Archive) and he has confirmed that my car was originally Marrone Colorado. Through his good offices I am now in the possession of copies of both the original Maranello Concessionaires invoice to the supplying dealer (H.R.Owen, Golders Green Rd., London) and Ferrari's to Maranello Concessionaires - so I wonder about the possibilty of the car being in Australia! However, there is something strange about the car; it was supplied with a blue interior according to the Ferrari delivery docket, but it was beige when sold to H.R.Owen. Tony kindly checked the original order and confirmed it was ordered with blue leather, so I have a theory! Maybe Maranello had a customer wanting a 365 with a blue interior, but only had one in the correct shade with a beige interior. So on receiving an order for a 365 with beige leather from Owens thought they would sort both cars out by requesting a new car from Ferrari with the odd colour combination and then swapping the trim. It may go some way to explaining why the car arrived in April '75 but wasn't delivered to Owens until late August?
    Anyway, I am happy to go with this - and today the rolling shell went off to the paintshop and I have instructed them to return the car to it's original hue.
    That leaves me time to have a look at the engine...
    Plus all the other removed parts!

8. dinopaul

dinopaul Formula Junior

Jan 27, 2010
    Paris, FRANCE
    Full Name:
    Paul
    Howard,

You have registered your car on ferrari400.com as #17989. Do you confirm ?
    I'm quite surprised the informations are differents !

9. squidmark

squidmark Karting

Sep 11, 2011
    Oxford
    Full Name:
    Howard Dent
    Paul,
    Yes I confirm, it is 17989. I don't have the Serial Number book, could it be wrong maybe?
    Howard.

10. Tassie

Tassie Formula Junior

Dec 17, 2009
    Tasmania, Australia
    Full Name:
    Wayne Clark
    #135 Tassie, Oct 21, 2011
    According to the Ferrari website my car is Gainsburgh Celeste but from the photo the tag on the car matches the actual colour, Blu Scuro (sorry about quality). Guess the Ferrari website database has some flaws...

11. dinopaul

dinopaul Formula Junior

Jan 27, 2010
    Paris, FRANCE
    Full Name:
    Paul
    Howard,

I've a good faith in my Vin Book, but everyone can mistake.
    The informations you got are already different. With the ones I add, that's the confusion !
    You could try to contact Marcel Massini : [email protected]
    He's a well-known Ferrari Historian, he's got databases. He's very busy so insist !

Tassie,

Are you sure your car was never repainted ? The color sticker could have been changed.
    I've seen 400i (s) (I know you're talking about your 412 but...) with a Glasurit Sticker...what was impossible to be original because that's only on 412. These 400i (s) had been repainted during the 412 existence...and sticker had been added.

Paul

12. Flinch

Flinch Formula Junior

Nov 15, 2009
    Holland and Sweden
    Full Name:
    Peter El Cheapo
    #137 Flinch, Oct 28, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 28, 2011
    Could be a poor camera, but it sounds basically the same as mine. At full trottle my 400 is really noisy too.

13. SouthJersey400i

SouthJersey400i Formula 3

Mar 14, 2007
    Romulus, NY (Finger Lakes)
    Full Name:
    Ken Battle
    #138 SouthJersey400i, Oct 29, 2011
  14. davidoloan

davidoloan Formula Junior

May 6, 2009
    Full Name:
    David
    I have heard a 365 GT4 2+2 in real life but never an injected car.

Everything I had read other than Tony Dron's Fastlane article suggests the Injected cars don't sound great.

But while the 412 in those videos sounds different to the carb cars, it sounds great to me. You can hear its related and does not sound like the later V12's in the 456 and the 550. Maybe that video isn't enough but it sounds much more musical than the later engines.

15. dstacy

dstacy F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 23, 2006
    GMT -5 & GMT +1
    Full Name:
    Dave
    #140 dstacy, Oct 29, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 29, 2011
  16. full_garage

full_garage Formula 3
    Owner

Feb 15, 2010
    Sarasota Florida
    Full Name:
    Jay
    Wow you're a brave man- I gotta admit- I don't even take mine out in the rain if I can avoid it- I got stuck in a torrential downpour with the 412 with no issues- but I would not subject my 400i or 412 to the salt they put down on the roads when it snows around here.

Mine sleep peacefully in the garage- but sun and warmth coming this week so they'll both be on the road as much as I can until the real Winter sets in.

17. GrigioAlloy

GrigioAlloy Karting

Sep 28, 2009
    Netherlans
    Full Name:
    Peter
    Great pictures. Wish they would not completely salt the roads here. I am sure it was great fun in the snow. Any pictures/video while it is on the move ?

Would love to take mine out in a while without the salt worry.

18. Ashman

Ashman Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 5, 2002
    MA
    Full Name:
    John
    Great photos, right up there with Alex Leventhal's pictures of his 400i in the snow!

I decided to beat the snow yesterday morning with a very early run. I left the house just before 7:30 and took about a 90 minute tour into upper Westchester County, North Salem, back over to Ridgefield, CT and then down home. The first few sprinkles of rain were just hitting my windshield as I pulled into the garage.

We got around 4" of snow in Fairfield County and lots of power outages. The snow will be gone in a day or two but CL&P is telling people that it may be a week or longer before everyone has their power back on.

Looking forward to quite a bit more driving this fall before the real winter sets in!

19. SouthJersey400i

SouthJersey400i Formula 3

Mar 14, 2007
    Romulus, NY (Finger Lakes)
    Full Name:
    Ken Battle
    Snow was not supposed to arrive until 3-5 PM in North Jersey; I would have been home by then. It was supposed to be all rain until later in the day. Instead the snow started at 9AM and kept on coming. Road crews did not get salt on the road until the last 5 miles of the "rally" and a bit on roads home. By time I got home it was all rain and no salt in South Jersey. I will hose out the underneath next weekend.

I can not avoid rain with this car. We use it mainly for 3-4 day weekends that we plan in advance, so it has been is some real toad stranglers (yeah, I lived in TX once) and the TRX tires can really pump some water.
    Ken

20. dstacy

dstacy F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 23, 2006
    GMT -5 & GMT +1
    Full Name:
    Dave
    #145 dstacy, Oct 30, 2011
    Jim575 likes this.
  21. aidanparte

aidanparte Formula 3

Jul 18, 2004
    Beautiful shot of your car, Dave. Looks quite a dark blue in that light.

Aidan

22. Ashman

Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 5, 2002
    MA
    Full Name:
    John
    Dave

Your car looks stunning! Must be nice to be in sub 100 degree temperatures finally!

23. dstacy

dstacy F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 23, 2006
    GMT -5 & GMT +1
    Full Name:
    Dave
    You have no idea John, no idea. :)

Thanks for the kind words also

24. Ashman

Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 5, 2002
    MA
    Full Name:
    John
    #149 Ashman, Oct 31, 2011
    Hey, are your driving lights bigger than original? They sure look bigger than mine!

25. dstacy

dstacy F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 23, 2006
    GMT -5 & GMT +1
    Full Name:
    Dave
    I don't know. Yours look mostly clear (driving lights) where mine are mostly fluted (fog lights). It could be due to where they were originally sold. Mine was sold new by a dealer in Bologna, Italy, just down the road from the factory. Yours?