How is your P4 knowledge? | Page 4 | FerrariChat

How is your P4 knowledge?

Discussion in 'Vintage (thru 365 GTC4)' started by wpbekker, Sep 22, 2007.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. retired

retired Formula Junior

Jul 30, 2004

My experience at scrutineering at LM is just very basic. They dont look at numbers. That is done at the "paperwork dept" with the paper entry docs, not a physical look. the scrutineering is just a "show" very basic stuff. i.e. check if the tow hook fist, how much fuel does it hold. no numbers....

MM's, comments on the off premises inspections is correct. The actual "stamping"

was usually done at the point of assembly. i.e, the factory. Swaters has good records on his computor with all the numbers, it would be good to check his records of his P4.

Have fun with this.

2. P4Replica

P4Replica Formula 3

Nov 4, 2003
    S.W. England
    Full Name:
    Paul S.
    #77 P4Replica, Sep 27, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    I don't personally own a copy of 'Ferrari in Camera' by Doug Nye and the late Geoff Goddard, but I think this may actually have been the photo Nathan was referring to - not the B&W one which I uploaded in my post #44. It was sent to me by another person who didn't know the source. Apologies for any possible unintended breach of Doug Nye's copyright.
    Art. Note also the spare trumpets on the roof of the car, and ....
    The (removed) cold air boxes too ....
    AND .... the Carello decal, which was one of Wouter's two questions that started this thread. :)
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

3. Napolis

Napolis Three Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary Owner

Oct 23, 2002
    Full Name:
    Jim Glickenhaus
    Their Team Manager did tell me that he was aware of chassis plates being switched to match Carnets but in this case wouldn't their Carnet have been for 0850?

See page 104: http://www.glickenhaus.com/jim/project.pdf

Do you remember the P 4 motor's being stamped with the chassis #'s as well?

Best

4. Napolis

Honorary Owner

Oct 23, 2002
    Full Name:
    Jim Glickenhaus
    Very Cool! (In or out? :) ) Any idea what car that is/When/Where??

Best

5. P4Replica

P4Replica Formula 3

Nov 4, 2003
    S.W. England
    Full Name:
    Paul S.
    I'd presume going back in (to #0860 ?) and taken a few minutes after the B&W one in my post #44 .... Le Mans '67.

6. Napolis

Honorary Owner

Oct 23, 2002
    Full Name:
    Jim Glickenhaus
    Makes sense.

Best

7. piloti

piloti Formula 3
    Honorary

Jul 11, 2004
    England
    Full Name:
    Nathan Beehl
    Bet you wish you hadn't said that. Just to throw another spanner in the works - In the book 'Garage Francorchamps' written by Rogliatti with assistance from Jacques Swaters it lists #24 as 0856 - (so even Swaters didn't know that Ferrari had swapped his car - or maybe this book wasn't been researched properly?)
    Nathan

8. Marcel Massini

Marcel Massini Two Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary

Mar 2, 2005
    Said book is more than 15 years old now........and like mine, contains errors.
    Marcel Massini

9. Napolis

Honorary Owner

Oct 23, 2002
    Full Name:
    Jim Glickenhaus
    But why would they? 0856 wasn't his 0850* was and Ferrari was simply providing a replacement as 0850* wasn't repaired yet. Why would he have cared if he got 0856 or 0858? Jay is saying 0856 and 0858's chassis plates/identities were swapped by Ferrari. The Ferrari records say 0858 was the 24 car which would indicate they were and even though the ACO documents say that the 24 car had motor # 0856 but Ferrari could have switched both or bamboozled the Scrutineers but why? What would the switch accomplish? IMO it's more logical that even though the Ferrari records say the 24 Car was 0858 they are wrong. I also have an original timing/result/prize money document that may have chassis #'s but as Jay points out if the chassis plates and engines were swapped or the Scrutineers bamboozled 0856 could have been the #21 Car wearing 0858's chassis plate.

The question remains why would Ferrari swap these two car's identities???

* PS correction I had written 0848

10. P4Replica

P4Replica Formula 3

Nov 4, 2003
    S.W. England
    Full Name:
    Paul S.
    #85 P4Replica, Sep 27, 2007
    Jim. Slight correction ....
    0850 was the Ecurie Francorchamps 412P, (which Mairesse had crashed heavily at Spa, and couldn't be re-built in time for Le Mans).

11. Napolis

Honorary Owner

Oct 23, 2002
    Full Name:
    Jim Glickenhaus
    Sorry yes 0850. (412P)

12. piloti

piloti Formula 3
    Honorary

Jul 11, 2004
    England
    Full Name:
    Nathan Beehl
    Marcel
    You mean we've got the same version? :)
    Nathan

13. P4Replica

P4Replica Formula 3

Nov 4, 2003
    S.W. England
    Full Name:
    Paul S.
    Twice, Jim. Another quick edit required. ;)

14. P4Replica

P4Replica Formula 3

Nov 4, 2003
    S.W. England
    Full Name:
    Paul S.
    As Marcel (and others) is always quick to point out, there are a number of errors on 'Barchetta' ....

Including a glaring one against their entry for #0850 for the 1967 Spa 1000 KMs:

http://www.barchetta.cc/english/All.Ferraris/Detail/0850.412P.htm

67/may/01 dnf 1000km Spa Mike Parkes/Scarfiotti #11

Funnily enough, those are the drivers of the the factory team #9 330P4 (previously thought to be #0858, but in all likelihood - #0856).

15. wpbekker

wpbekker Formula Junior

Dec 27, 2006
    Holland
    Full Name:
    Wouter Bekker
    AND .... the Carello decal, which was one of Wouter's two questions that started this thread. :)[/QUOTE]

Yes, I remember my name guys! I enjoy my thread to the utmost I have to say.

The quintessence is that the 1967 0856 is now 0858 and vice versa? Interesting because 0856 is reckoned to be the most original car!

Did the David Clarke records on 0856, which were stolen, already reappear? Maybe there is some evidence to be found? Maybe ask mr. Forghieri? I think he started this all?

Chassis 0856 is stamped in more than one place isn't it? Same must be the case with 0858? Why changing all this for just one weekend? Maybe they took out engines just to work on the front of them?

16. Marcel Massini

Marcel Massini Two Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary

Mar 2, 2005
    My book "Ferrari by Vignale" was also published by Giorgio Nada Editore of Milan, like the "Ecurie Garage Francorchamps" book of Rogliatti. Although my book was ready for printing one year before already (1991), Nada delayed it by at least one year, because he first wanted to publish the Francorchamps book (for the September 1992 "FF40" meeting in Brussels). After the Francorchamps book was printed, my Vignale book was done. What I also meant to say is that my own books "250 LM" or "Ferrari by Vignale", etc. also contain several errors.
    Marcel Massini

17. P4Replica

P4Replica Formula 3

Nov 4, 2003
    S.W. England
    Full Name:
    Paul S.
    #92 P4Replica, Sep 27, 2007
    Not wishing to 'throw another spanner in the works'. Just thinking aloud, you understand …. ;)

But forgetting, for the moment, what has been stated in previous posts, with regards to factory records, 0856 vs 0858 etc. ….

If 0856 was the 2nd-placed #24 Daytona 24 Hours car; the #21 car used for the Le Mans Test Days; and the #3 Monza 1000 KMs winner (all previously undisputed),

…. And it now seems likely that it was also the 5th Placed #9 Spa 1000 Kms car ….

Why, engine swaps aside, would the factory have loaned the newer car 0858, with lower track mileage, to Ecurie Francorchamps, for the Le Mans 24 Hours - in preference to 0856, which would have been rather more 'tired' ?

After the '65 Le Mans win by N.A.R.T., Ferrari would appear to have made a concsious decision to sell 'lower-powered' or obsolete versions to their customer teams – hence the 412P.

…. And of course with 'Wild Willy' Mairesse driving, there was always the possibility the car might end up getting ‘bent’.

18. wpbekker

wpbekker Formula Junior

Dec 27, 2006
    Holland
    Full Name:
    Wouter Bekker
    I totally agree with this statement. Remember that Le Mans 1967 was the race to nail down Ford and Mr. Ferrari wouldn't take any risk with his newer factory car. I think loaning 0856 (the Monza winner, although Ford wasn't present at that race) is a great gesture to one of Ferrari's best clients. There are a lot of examples where Mr. Ferrari wasn't that generous (for instance Volpi).

By the way: look at the position of the mirrors comparing to the Monza versions of both cars. In Monza 0856 had his mirrors Jim-like (between fenders and windscreen) 0858 has its mirrors exactly in the same position for both races with streamlining added for Le Mans.

19. wpbekker

wpbekker Formula Junior

Dec 27, 2006
    Holland
    Full Name:
    Wouter Bekker
    So, are there mirror mounting points visible on Le Mans yellow striped #24 car? Also think about the PROVA MO-36 and PROVA MO-53 plates on the back of the cars. In pictures it looks as though 0856 at BOAC 500 carries MO-36, just like 0858 at Monza 1967 and Spa 1967. So, it could be the same car. (Although I think in the last to races mentioned here it seems PROVA MO-33.)

20. P4Replica

P4Replica Formula 3

Nov 4, 2003
    S.W. England
    Full Name:
    Paul S.
    Nope. Definately no MO-33 or MO-55 used Wouter. Either MO-36 or MO-53. Suggest you get yourself a stronger magnifying glass. ;)

21. Napolis

Honorary Owner

Oct 23, 2002
    Full Name:
    Jim Glickenhaus
    Ah. Bent metal. Damaged chassis tubes. Bet that left a mark. Has anyone examined the LT nose chassis tubes of 0856 (LS's Car) to see if there's a trace of that?

22. P4Replica

P4Replica Formula 3

Nov 4, 2003
    S.W. England
    Full Name:
    Paul S.
    #97 P4Replica, Sep 28, 2007
    Nope. Even in this re-sized version, it's still definately PROVA MO-53, Wouter.

(P.S. At this stage I haven't begun to re-caption my photos, as yet).

23. wpbekker

wpbekker Formula Junior

Dec 27, 2006
    Holland
    Full Name:
    Wouter Bekker
    Scuderia badge in exactly the same position as on 0856 at Monza 1967...

24. PSk

PSk F1 World Champ

Nov 20, 2002
    Tauranga, NZ
    Full Name:
    Pete
    Surely this would be one of the constants between the cars?

Pete

25. moriaan1

moriaan1 Formula 3

Dec 3, 2006
    Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Hans
    mr. Massini, I have to compliment you on this publication. Got it in 1992/93, and still one of my favourite books!
    (now back to the P4,s)