How often do you drive your toys Dec-Apr | FerrariChat

How often do you drive your toys Dec-Apr

Discussion in 'Rocky Mountain' started by JaguarXJ6, Nov 3, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. JaguarXJ6

JaguarXJ6 F1 Veteran

Feb 12, 2003
    Black Hawk, CO
    Full Name:
    Sunny
    I'm new to the state and I have heard a lot of opinions when winter finally hits. Coming from the left coast I have driven in snow but not lived in colder weather for any real stretch.

How many good days are there really to bring a toy out of hibernation when the road is clear and empty, just cold?

Once a month? Once a week? What is hwy 72 like once plowed?

Just trying to set my expectations as I enjoy the last days with my rwd beast.

2. Joshman0531

Joshman0531 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 19, 2012
    Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Joshua Seidenberg
    If there is no ice on my street, I drive all year...just not in the mountains. All year, every weekend. Nothing magic happens if it sits in my garage.

3. Tcar

Tcar F1 Rookie

Drive all year... there are a few days that I don't, but you can drive a lot more days than you can't.

Don't understand anyone putting their car up for the winter here... ("last days"?????).

Maybe in the mountains, but not here in Denver.

4. JasonMiller

JasonMiller F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 16, 2004
    Co Springs/ Texas
    Full Name:
    Jason Miller
    Every Friday I drive a "fun" car to work, as long as its dry, I dont care how cold it is.

5. JaguarXJ6

JaguarXJ6 F1 Veteran

Feb 12, 2003
    Black Hawk, CO
    Full Name:
    Sunny
    The Supra, well doesn't do so well on ice and in the wet. If it's dry and cold, game on! That's what I meant by last days of being potentially using the throttle in anger. That did come out wrong, it was late when I made the post.

For example, I took this tonight. I am sure I could have warmed the tires up more as this was after a couple miles of sedate city cruising. This car in the canyons? Yeah, no chance.

https://youtu.be/nXEMjh6Co08

P.S. Yes, I am aware I was chortling with satisfaction in the video clip and too good to cut out. Turn the sound up!

6. JaguarXJ6

JaguarXJ6 F1 Veteran

Feb 12, 2003
    Black Hawk, CO
    Full Name:
    Sunny
    Thanks for chiming in with your experience, everyone! I am much more at ease.

7. Gle8

Gle8 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

I learned the hard way not to assume that the ride to Nederland will have the same weather as Denver on any given day. So I only drive local in the winter.

8. Tcar

Tcar F1 Rookie

It's REALLY easy to check road conditions in CO... before you head out.

9. Hotzos

Hotzos Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 19, 2004
    Parker, Colorado
    Full Name:
    Mark Gomez
    If there is no snow, and as long as there is not a ton of gravel on the roads, i will drive the car atleast every other week.

10. RonnieRenaldi

RonnieRenaldi F1 Rookie

Aug 16, 2004
    Same with me.

11. JaguarXJ6

JaguarXJ6 F1 Veteran

Feb 12, 2003
    Black Hawk, CO
    Full Name:
    Sunny
    Great! Another wonderful day in the canyons today, Morrison to Squaw Pass through Blackhawk and back to Golden. Loving this weather.

12. doug_porsche

doug_porsche Karting

Dec 6, 2009
    Trying 2 find myself
    Full Name:
    Doug
    Guys! People from other states are reading this! If they find out the truth on the weather in Denver, they will want to move here.

Truth is from mid-October to late May/June it's a non-stop blizzard. Lucky if you can see your hand in front of your face. Makes Wisconsin winters seem tropical by comparison!

13. Hotzos

Hotzos Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 19, 2004
    Parker, Colorado
    Full Name:
    Mark Gomez
    Hmm. Must be for guys with purple cars??

14. JaguarXJ6

JaguarXJ6 F1 Veteran

Feb 12, 2003
    Black Hawk, CO
    Full Name:
    Sunny
    It was another terrible day to drive. 25 car pile-up on I70. State was snowed in.

15. JohnnyRay

JohnnyRay F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 2, 2014
    Central FL/NW WI
    Ummm...no. We still don't want to live there. At least not until you take care of that nasty immigration problem from California... :)

16. Joshman0531

Joshman0531 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 19, 2012
    Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Joshua Seidenberg
    Anybody been out? Drove on Monday and Saturday looks good too! Gotta get those fluids flowing :)

17. Gle8

Gle8 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Yeah, but you know what they say about Denver weather...

The day I 'learned' I checked the weather before heading out at 8am for a spirited drive. On my way back down from Nederland I hit a hellish hail storm. Damn near cried hearing the golfballs ping off the car.

That said, only so much you can do.

18. JZ TWINS

JZ TWINS Karting

Sep 5, 2006
    Love the sound of singled Supra's