How Often Should You Charge Your Ferrari? | FerrariChat

How Often Should You Charge Your Ferrari?

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by Jkay, Mar 21, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Jkay

Jkay Karting

Jan 9, 2017
    #1 Jkay, Mar 21, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Hello All

Firstly, I did try and do a search but for some reason couldst find what I was looking for so apologies if this has been covered.

I would ideally keep my Ferrari hooked up to a Tender/Charger 24/7, but due to current parking arrangements can't do so, due to communal parking area, and my extension cable has to run through other peoples spaces. Not ideal but this is hopefully only temporary until the new space/garage comes.

I currently just top her up around once a week at the moment. I use a CTEK MXS5.0, and it normally takes 2-3 hours from charge to full (The MXS5.0 tells you when its less than 80%, more than 80%, and also when its full). It starts at "3" every time, then eventually 4 then 7 (full) after a few hours

So my questions are:-

-For those who can't keep your Ferrari hooked up 24/7 (or even those who just choose not to), how often do you charge your battery.

-How long can you leave your car before it runs out of "electricity"

If you could also state your Ferrari model that would be great

Thank you!

JKay
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. Lamborgotti_Fasterossa

Jan 5, 2017
    Europe
    Not a Ferrari here, but a Porsche and an Aston.

Only have one charger, so I charge the Aston almost 24/7, and every 2, 3 weeks (sometimes 4) I hook the Porsche up for a day or two (sometimes a week), and then it's back the other car.

Might not be the best option, but the Porsche had a new battery placed in 2002 or 2003, and it's still on that same battery.

3. Jkay

Jkay Karting

Jan 9, 2017
    The two exact cars I had before getting my Ferrari lol. I never charged them tho and they were fine throughout my ownership. not sure about long term

4. Lamborgotti_Fasterossa

Jan 5, 2017
    Europe
    I'm sorry for the off topic, but what Aston did you own?

I bought a second hand 4.3 Vantage in 2015, and it has been fuuuuun !!
    Almost bought a F430, but decided on the Aston. James Bond and stuff :)

5. Jkay

Jkay Karting

Jan 9, 2017
    #5 Jkay, Mar 21, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017

4.7 V8V. Great car but I prefer my Ferrari :) 4.3's are great too. What colour is yours ?

But yes I digress lol, still Keen to hear from people About charging their Ferraris :)
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

6. bisel

bisel Formula 3
    BANNED

Sep 12, 2012
    Scottsdale, Arizona
    Full Name:
    Steve Bisel
    The key indicator is that you should not allow your battery to drop below 90% capacity. Dropping below 90% degrades battery life. Dropping below 60% may not be able to start car.

How long before your battery will drop to 90% depends on many factors. My guess is anywhere from one to ten weeks, maybe even longer. Depends on state of charge, battery condition, current drain the car is pulling when ignition off, etc.

You can keep your car on a battery tender 24/7 without any harm. If you drive your car weekly, probably don't need to put it on a tender at all. If the car sits longer than four weeks without being driven, then you probably should put it on a tender.

Without knowing exactly the current drain and battery condition, there is no way to tell for sure. I have a 360 and I will put in on a tender if it is going to sit more than 2 weeks. I have heard that newer Ferraris may drain the battery more rapidly.

Steve

7. tomc

tomc Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    I asked a tender question recently, and got good feedback, which you may find useful.

http://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/california/547354-how-long-off-tender.html

For the record, I have an '11 Cali and to my recollection, 2 - 3 days is the longest it's been off the tender under my ownership, which is 10 months. I drive mine, on average, twice a week and 150 miles per week. But, as you can see from replies in my thread, some go off-tender much longer...T

8. bisel

bisel Formula 3
    BANNED

Sep 12, 2012
    Scottsdale, Arizona
    Full Name:
    Steve Bisel
    My opinion... based on your driving cycle, I do not believe you need to put car on the tender. I do not believe any harm in doing so, but if it were me, I would find the plugging / unplugging to the tender that often a bit of an annoyance.

Steve

9. tomc

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    I agree, but I view it as a "better safe than sorry" approach, especially given that (i) my car comes with HELE (which, it is my understanding, places greater demands on the battery), and (ii) I don't know the age of the battery in the Cali...T

10. bisel

bisel Formula 3
    BANNED

Sep 12, 2012
    Scottsdale, Arizona
    Full Name:
    Steve Bisel
    Pardon my ignorance... what's a HELE?

Steve

11. bisel

bisel Formula 3
    BANNED

Sep 12, 2012
    Scottsdale, Arizona
    Full Name:
    Steve Bisel
    And holy postings, batman, you have 8700 posts! Wow!

Steve

12. tomc

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C

High Emotion Low Emissions, the most hilariously named option in the Ferrari universe! Near as I can figure it's a stop-start feature. I think there are other features related to the A.C. and engine mapping.

I'm saving the planet by driving my Ferrari!! LOL.

T

13. tomc

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C

I got a lot to say!
    T

14. WJGESQ

WJGESQ Formula 3

Dec 30, 2004
    Sexy beast.

15. Jkay

Jkay Karting

Jan 9, 2017
    Thanks for all the replies

16. ///Mike

///Mike F1 Veteran

Dec 11, 2003
    Bugtussle
    Indeed. That's a great looking AM.

17. MrF355

MrF355 Formula Junior

Mar 4, 2008
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Kimi
    10plus years of owning different models I have never used a tender . Been overseas on holidays come back 4 weeks later started no problem. Current is 599 with HGTE.

18. Lamborgotti_Fasterossa

Jan 5, 2017
    Europe
    Nice !

Mine is a tungsten silver one.

19. DGS

DGS Six Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

May 27, 2003
    MidTN
    Full Name:
    DGS
    Depends on the car, options, and how many gizmos have been added over the years. And on battery age.

When I first bought my 328, it'd drain the battery within a week. I measured nearly an amp of draw when it was "off".
    I then took it to a shop and told them to remove everything not on the wiring diagram, and got back a large box of unidentified junk.
    After that, it'd hold a charge nearly all winter (in New England).

Then I added an MP3 player that draws memory power.
    It'd hold a charge for a month or two.

But as the battery gets older, it needs charging more often.

(Somewhere around here I have a half wave battery reconditioner I built back in the '70s that was able to revive a 14 year old DieHard. But it's easier to not let the battery die in the first place. ;))

By contrast, the same model Optima in my Alfa Spider still has a charge after almost a year. (Rebuilding the fuel pumps.)
    (The Alfa doesn't even have a clock. Zero draw when off.)
    (The battery was originally from my home inverter. I put it in the Alfa when I moved.)

But, given today's automotive environment, I'd be tempted to say I "charge" my car whenever the gas gauge gets near "E". :p

20. AceMaster

AceMaster Three Time F1 World Champ

Feb 6, 2009
    Ontario, Canada
    Full Name:
    Mike
    I have mine on the tender if it will be idle 3 days or longer.

21. Eric C

Eric C F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 20, 2009
    St. Louis, MO
    Full Name:
    Eric
    Me too. Dang Ferrari's.

22. ixlr8

ixlr8 Formula Junior

Aug 24, 2015
    Eastern Shore- Virginia
    Full Name:
    Jim
    My 01 550 has a 2 year old battery. I find if I let the car sit for 4 weeks, it is a bit sluggish turning the engine over. I found if I topped it off every 2 weeks it was fine. Last winter I topped it off every 2 weeks. I got tired of making sure I remembered to top it off and I got a 2nd charger and have left it on all winter. I will see what happens when the 'mud season' in the spring is over and I can actually get the car out again.

23. italiafan

italiafan F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 19, 2006
    Full Name:
    Stickbones Swagglesmith
    The people who actually build the cars offer up about 1 week as advice.

24. Marcel Massini

Marcel Massini Two Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary

Mar 2, 2005
    My F12 is everyday on the battery tender. Whenever I have the car at home.
    A friend of mine with a very expensive new Ferrari with 1'500 miles only, had a battery replacement issue and the factory refused paying for a new battery (warranty!). They had checked the onboard computer system in the car and it was found out that the car had been off the battery tender during two weeks. With this information the factory refused to give proper warranty, saying that the owner didn't handle things as recommended. Factory strongly recommends to always use the battery tender, every single day.

Marcel Massini

25. AceMaster

AceMaster Three Time F1 World Champ

Feb 6, 2009
    Ontario, Canada
    Full Name:
    Mike
    If that's the case, then I will do that.