How will history judge and value the F12 vs. 812 super fast? | FerrariChat

How will history judge and value the F12 vs. 812 super fast?

Discussion in 'F12/812' started by roma1280, Aug 27, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. roma1280

roma1280 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

May 2, 2010
    Palm Beach, Roma
    Maybe it's a few years too early to try and consider how history will judge and value the F12 vs the 812. On paper they seem quite similar.

This is made harder because of the excitement of the 812 and by the fact that many of us have not even seen an 812 in the metal let alone driven one.

Is there someone that can set out the pros and cons of each and set out the factors that are advantageous for one model over the other?

2. ttforcefed

ttforcefed F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    #2 ttforcefed, Aug 27, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 27, 2017
    for what its worth my instinct tells me f12>812, 458>488. I have no good reasons other than I feel like something has been lost with the latest cars. In my eyes they have been Bangled - that's the term that comes to mind. Then there was product proliferation etc....seems to be the same track. But really who cares - you drive your front engine 12s so much it doesn't matter.

3. roma1280

roma1280 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

May 2, 2010
    Palm Beach, Roma
    In the F12 column - it's the last Pininfarina designed Ferrari

4. roma1280

roma1280 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

May 2, 2010
    Palm Beach, Roma
    My gut is that I agree

5. Brian L

Brian L Formula 3

Jun 17, 2015
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Brian
    RACE is not Ferrari as I have said. PF is a necessity and the excuse about advanced aero is spin/marketing as opposed to admitting defeat. LdM I would bet, agrees, they are off course visually.

As with the Lusso (admittedly less important stylistically to the brand than others) same goes for La CorViper (812) and now Portofino. If anything the Portofino is better as it borrows from the F12 a bit, yet it's still a photoshop hodge podge of styles and ideas glued together.

The TDF's styling works because it's a car a teenager should draw. Muscle car. Youthful. Perfect.

6. MDEL

MDEL F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 24, 2016
    Southern Europe
    Full Name:
    Mario
    For any driving experience comparison between the F12 B and the 812 right now the main sources we have available are some drive tests made by several well-known car magazines and journalists. On the drive laps done at Fiorano and also on the roads around Maranello, one of the main features that more or less is mentioned by everyone is the rear wheels steering system of the 812. There is a certain unanimity that it enables the 812 to curve faster than the F12B and with more grip. In respect to the innovative electric power steering of the 812 in general testers liked it and mentioned that it feels pretty natural. However from the various opinions I read I didn’t conclude that the 812 steering feeling is better than the one of the F12B. Finally and as expected, the 812 is more explosive than the F12B at high revs and the gear-box ratios are also slightly different.

In regard to how the F12B and the 812 compare between them in terms of aesthetics it´s easier to judge on our own because there are already a good number of pictures and videos available and also a group of people who have seen the 812 alive. To put it very simple, IMO the F12B is a car you can have in any colour and look at from any angle and you never disappointed. Unfortunately the same can’t be said about the 812.

7. Caeruleus11

Caeruleus11 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 11, 2013
    This question recalls, for me, the progression from 550 ->575. I prefer the 550 and the F12. Just based on looks. I would still choose the 575 and 812 over the competition, but I guess I just usually tend to go for the more straightforward design.

I think the last PF front engine V12 from Ferrari, that matters to those of us who like to obsess over such things. I suspect the market place won't be quite as critical. But this was one of my reasons I got an F12. Im driving it today! :)

Bundy likes this.
  8. Scraggy

Scraggy Formula 3

Apr 2, 2012
    England
    Full Name:
    Scraggy
    You can't compare to 458/488, former was widely loved and acclaimed latter main focus is on emissions unlike the 812.

812 is better in every area, possibly for frequent use better than a Tdf. Agree looks are not elegant.

You wonder who signs these things off, how did the rear of the original Cali ever get signed off its baffling.

F12 lovely and seems to be more relatively cherished than 599 which I suspect is due to much superior gearbox.

Recall 599 in UK trading at a premium for 24 months, F12 did not, 812 certainly will, tells you a bit. Economic cycles aside.

9. Scraggy

Scraggy Formula 3

Apr 2, 2012
    England
    Full Name:
    Scraggy
    I also recall just giving some balance that the "Cervix" rear styling of the F12 B was hated so saying its better from every angle.....

Imagine F12 with GTC rear and that's a great looking car.

10. -CD-

-CD- F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 7, 2005
    near the Nürburgring
    Full Name:
    Christian
    #10 -CD-, Aug 28, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    maxemus likes this.
  11. Brian L

Brian L Formula 3

Jun 17, 2015
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Brian
    Totally agree.

Design integrity says that a modern car doesn't "need" 4 lights when 2 can do the work ... so to add them is only done as a nod to the past.

Yet when the seats are made by Lear, and the overhung spoiler is very modern (and ubiquitous) the addition of 4 lights is an integrity breech. TOO MANY IDEAS AT ONCE!

No elegance, no integrity. I miss PF.

12. scrappy1972

scrappy1972 Rookie

Feb 20, 2015
    I think it will depend on whether the 812 is the last pure/unassisted V12 Ferrari (either through boost charging or hybridization).

13. Caeruleus11

Rossa Subscribed

Jun 11, 2013
    I wasn't 100% sure on the F12 rear at first either. But with extended exposure, it all works. I think this is one of many things I admire about the designers- they have to be so far ahead. We can just take our time to admire things.

I think the problem for the 599 was the car was a bit too big and the electronics not quite advanced enough. However, if you spent time with the car, there were many charms and it is a really wonderful car. By the time of the F12, they had advanced everything to the point that they really need to be. The car as a whole gels much better than with the 599.

Will the 812 represent the same kind of gap from the F12? A bit unfair as the F12 is a whole new platform and the 812 is a more advanced version. However, I suspect while the 812 will feel newer and more in every way than the F12, it won't be quite as big a change.

My gut feeling is the 812 will be the last unassisted V12 production from Ferrari. Mr. Marchionne has said going forward from something like 2019 all V12s will get some form of hybrid assist.

I really don't have a problem with this because we've seen with the LaFerrari that this setup can produce really spectacular results.

hagen111 and Bundy like this.
  14. Brian L

Brian L Formula 3

Jun 17, 2015
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Brian
    A great design is ALWAYS like this. It takes a little time to appreciate.

Same for great music, or art of any kind.

This is why the new designs are a sure fail, far too exciting at first. The result of trying too hard to tick the marketing boxes.

15. amenasce

amenasce Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 17, 2001
    Full Name:
    Joe Mansion
    The F12 looks much much better than the 812. The 812 is just too much. I am not saying it's ugly but it's not pretty either and certainly not classy.

Design is probably one of the most important factor when it comes to value. See dino vs boxer. Almost 2 times more Dinos. Dinos much slower. Dino V6 vs 12 Cyl and yet Dinos are 150% to 200% of Boxer value.

16. Solid State

Solid State F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 4, 2014
    Full Name:
    Maximus Decimus Meridius
    How will they be judged against each other? I have yet to see a review of the 812 where a comment similar to "whether you like the looks or not..." wasn't uttered even by the most respected reviewers. Its just a fact that the 812 is not clicking the 'beautiful' description by the public compared to the F12 which is revered as a high water mark in the modern PF/Ferrari V12 production sports car.

How will they be valued? Like all other non LE's - condition, spec and mileage and pretty much in that order.

17. leopoldo

leopoldo Formula Junior

Mar 10, 2013
    Full Name:
    mark1
    ... so probably you will like the gtc4 soon :) !!

18. Brian L

Brian L Formula 3

Jun 17, 2015
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Brian
    Funny. As a professional artist I have acquired taste that is beyond the hype and any instant gratification. I look at the Lusso in 10 years right now. Not interested.

19. simsko

simsko F1 Rookie

Feb 5, 2012
    F12 looks dated compared to the 812. There actually isn't that much carry over and if you asked a layperson than they would probably not see any connection between the two. This was probably a calculated decision rather an accident so it had to push the boundaries of the f12 silhouette given today's technology. It's different stylistically and looks more like the 275 compared to the 250 as opposed to the 550 to the 575. I think history has a place for both and it will come down to personal preference which one future buyers will value more.

20. Scraggy

Scraggy Formula 3

Apr 2, 2012
    England
    Full Name:
    Scraggy
    I wasn't talking about the 4 or 2 rear lights on F12/FF to 812 but to the lack of cervix and sharper back.

Each to own. All of them are lovely, I have a new GTC and dont rate any of the modern 4 seaters looks wise (designed to achieve compromise). Its quite refreshing owning things and not being blinded.

Brian you are very funny.

21. Scraggy

Scraggy Formula 3

Apr 2, 2012
    England
    Full Name:
    Scraggy
    Oh how we all long for such enduring good taste unswayed by current fads.

I always thought the art market total BS.

22. BarryK

BarryK Formula 3

Dec 17, 2016
    Europe
    Full Name:
    Barry K
    +1. Well said.

23. BarryK

BarryK Formula 3

Dec 17, 2016
    Europe
    Full Name:
    Barry K
    Production numbers will have some impact regardless of whether the F12 is more appealing than the 812. Just look at the 512M vs Testarossa. The 512M is pig-ugly in many people's opinion and still commands a big premium because of the production run was only 500 cars - wasn't a limited edition etc, but ended up with a small run as it was a stop gap before the all new 550.

24. Caeruleus11

Rossa Subscribed

Jun 11, 2013
    Good point BarryK about production numbers. For the sake of discussion I would be willing to say both F12 and 812 production numbers would be about equal.

I agree with you that the 812 does look newer and that this is of course planned. I also think it shows how talented the designers at Ferrari really are. They have the same hard points (where panels need to attach etc) and they have a design that does look quite a bit different. I believe the roof line is different too.

To my eyes the 812 is more Daytona, whereas the F12 is more 275 and even has some 250 Lusso in it (shark nose front, Kamm tail). The thing I don't love on the Daytona is the roofline (just a little bit too high to my eyes) and I have the same issue with the 812.

I think the best way to judge these designs is with hindsight and thus, right now we will see the 812 as the new one, and that usually means the prior car will look like the old one. But over time I think we will get a better perspective.

I do not think the F12 looks dated at all, but yes, the 812 is more aggressive and more "new" looking.

Time will tell. In the mean time I look forward to the journey and the discussion with all of you! Some really fascinating thoughts and opinions here!

Bundy likes this.
  25. Scraggy

Scraggy Formula 3

Apr 2, 2012
    England
    Full Name:
    Scraggy
    Both be zillions !