I didn't know my car is for sale......... | FerrariChat

I didn't know my car is for sale.........

Discussion in 'Vintage (thru 365 GTC4)' started by Zanny1, Jan 27, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Zanny1

Zanny1 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 19, 2003
    Arizona
    Full Name:
    Mike
    1961 Ferrari 250 GTE Coupe = Correct Soild dry driver $389k For Sale on Car And Classic UK [C517686]

Yup, some outfit called ABC Motors is advertising my car for sale in a British classic car magazine. I discovered this quite by accident, and have since reported it to the magazine as a fraudulent ad. It'll be interesting to see how they respond.
    The car is mis-identified as a 1961 model, and the serial number is not revealed. However, there are several things in the photographs that easily identify the car (to the owner).

I am sure this happens all the time, and not the first time discussed on this site.

2. ArtS

ArtS F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 11, 2003
    Central NJ
    I just bought it at a HUGE discount! I'll be by to pick it up next week :D

Regards,

Art S.

3. Jack-the-lad

Jack-the-lad Six Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 22, 2004
    Moot Pointe
    You should contact the "seller" as someone interested in buying the car. Ask some specific questions about it that only you would know the answers. That could be fun.

4. El Wayne

El Wayne F1 World Champ
    Staff Member Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 1, 2002
    San Marino, CA
    Full Name:
    L. Wayne Ausbrooks
    It's not ABC Motors, but ABC Autofinder. This "broker" has been discussed here several times in the past. The idea is that some interested buyer will bite, the car in the ad will have "just sold" or have some other issue, and so this broker will then go shopping for a car to meet the buyer's needs. He's also been known to advertise cars that are genuinely on the market, but being offered by other sellers. If he can find an interested buyer, then he'll attempt to play the middle man. What he's doing is illegal in most or all U.S. states, but he probably thinks he's covering his ass by targeting the UK market.

ABC Autofinder is also a major advertiser with Car and Classic, so not likely to face any action from them.

By the way, this is who's behind ABC Autofinder:

Gerard Florendo
    Portland, OR
    (503) 974-9215
    [email protected]

5. Zanny1

Zanny1 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 19, 2003
    Arizona
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Car and Classic UK sent my email to this Gerard guy at ABC whatever. He then replied to me, stating it was a 'misunderstanding' as he was trying to help DriverSource in Houston sell the car. I simply responded that there was no misunderstanding, the car sold 1-1/2 years ago, and copied the message to DriverSource.
    I expect this kind of behavior to continue, but I gotta tell you guys - my wife and I are in Europe at the moment...... it SURE will get your attention to read an advertisement in a European car trader and see your car listed there for sale.

6. Bob Zambelli

Bob Zambelli F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

Nov 3, 2003
    Manning, SC
    Full Name:
    Robert G. Zambelli
    Mike: This happened to me in 1989 when I was living in upstate, NY. A coworker (Dave) wanted a car like mine (330 GTC) so I put out the word - WANTED TO BUY GTC, etc, etc.
    A week or so later, Dave got a call from a guy in California asking if he was still looking for a GTC.
    He said yes and the guy told him about a yellow one in upstate NY saying that the owner probably did not have a clue about the car and he could probably steal it!
    Dave would have to pay him a finder's fee of course.

Turns out, he was talking about my car and trying to sell it to my friend.

Talk about BALLS!

Bob Z.

7. blackbolt22

blackbolt22 F1 Veteran

Sep 25, 2007
    Boca Raton, FL
    Full Name:
    Mr. Anderson
    Fishing for leads by whatever means possible. Wow.

8. amenasce

amenasce Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 17, 2001
    Full Name:
    Joe Mansion
    ABCD auto finder are ****. I don't think I have ever seen one ad from them that was genuine.

They just spam those websites with their fake ads and fake prices.

9. Juan-Manuel Fantango

Juan-Manuel Fantango F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 18, 2004
    Full Name:
    Juan
    So this guy in CA knew you huh?

10. Simon1965

Simon1965 Formula Junior

Feb 8, 2011
    HKSAR
    Full Name:
    Simon
    Q. How can you tell when a second hand car dealer is lying?
    A. You can see his lips moving

11. kiesan

kiesan Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 21, 2003
    Seattle
    Full Name:
    Kie Robertson
  12. Timmmmmmmmmmy

Timmmmmmmmmmy F1 Rookie

Apr 5, 2010
    NZ
    Full Name:
    Timothy Russell
    Reminds me of a story, perhaps real, in the late 80s a doctor in Florida was reading some used car ad's and thought that sounds like my GTO re-read it and thought **** I should check my garage and sure enough someone had stolen his GTO and so he made brief contact and passed it along to the police. It wasnt a difficult case to solve........

13. Zanny1

Zanny1 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 19, 2003
    Arizona
    Full Name:
    Mike
    ABC has 152 Ferrari Ads and 2117 total ads currently running in this european publication.
    Car and Classic UK must really love these guys, and know damn well what they are doing.

So the question is..... is your car "currently for sale"?

14. 19633500GT

19633500GT F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 9, 2010
    Blueberry
    Full Name:
    Muffin-Tops
    This ******* tried this with my Maserati, which wasn't even for sale, but photos were found through Google etc.

I called him, he mumbled some bull**** about "Oh, I thought you needed help selling it..."

Funny thing was my car wasn't for sale. I told him take it down, or my lawyer calls in the AM...

This guys a complete POS. Make it the right way or don't try at all.

Ps. Reza, take notes ;)

15. ignominus

ignominus Karting

Sep 6, 2013
    That happened to me a few weeks ago with my Lancia Flaminia GT Superleggera, which surprisingly I found for sale on the web. I asked for pics of the car and to see it, but the "seller" said the car was being repatriated from Germany, to Germany but was pristine, etc... Crooks that's all.

16. Christian.Fr

Christian.Fr Two Time F1 World Champ

Jun 9, 2005
    Full Name:
    Christian.Fr
    The methode is similar than real estate agences. Put a pic of a house (not for sale in reality), a phone number and pigeons are coming.

17. 4rePhill

4rePhill F1 Veteran

Oct 18, 2009
    Worcester, England
    Full Name:
    Phill J
    The advert in the link now comes up as: "This advert has now been removed through sale or otherwise, please see the list below for similar live adverts", so either "Car And Classic" have removed the advert from their site due to the fraud aspect (but have not removed the "broker" from their site!), or the "broker" has pulled the advert for fear of legal action.

The problem is, the removal message is so vague that it makes it appear as though the "broker" has done a superb job and sold the car already, instead of having just removed the advert for fear of being done for fraud.

For "Car and Classic" not to investigate this broker and ban him from their site for blatant fraud is very poor, and shows them in a bad light (It also shows that they take inappropriate action when a fraud is reported to them! - Just forwarding the emailed complaint to the fraudster is not an acceptable response to the situation!).

Perhaps if "Car and Classic" were to be publicly implicated in knowingly allowing fraudsters to make use of their site, and turning a blind eye to it, they might be motivated into taking more appropriate action against the fraudsters in future!

18. PG1964

PG1964 Formula Junior

Nov 2, 2010
    Torino, Italy
    Same story happened a few years ago with a Lancia Aurelia B20 and a Lancia Flaminia convertible, both advertised by ABC, but the UK owners didn't know that their cars, stored in the garage beside their houses, were for sale on the web.
    When they asked for explanations to ABC, they replied...sorry we didn't know..... there is a misunderstanding...the car has the same colour but the plate is different...etc.
    I would like to see these guys with the cuffs on some day.

19. Zanny1

Zanny1 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 19, 2003
    Arizona
    Full Name:
    Mike
    ABC pulled the ad. Car and Classic did nothing proactive. As I said, ABC still has numerous listings in the magazine. C&C knows what they are doing.