I guess it won't buff right out :( | FerrariChat

I guess it won't buff right out :(

Discussion in 'LamborghiniChat.com' started by Shamile, Jul 19, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Shamile

Shamile F1 Veteran

Dec 31, 2002
    Lakeland FL
    Full Name:
    Shamile
    #1 Shamile, Jul 19, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Some may not know but my 1997.5 Diablo VT Roadster was recently involved in an accident.
    I've been inundated on fb, messaging and email to what happened in addition to many well wishes.

On Tuesday July 07th, I was on my way to work when I was T boned by a 80 + year old driver coming straight out of a side street. I was in the left lane and he came straight out and hit me hard enough to push me sideways straight into oncoming traffic. I was able to swerve back without injury.

A witness told the officer on the scene that he was inching out, inching out then gunned it right into my side. The driver was deemed 100% at fault and had his license suspended on the spot pending a review....given the blatant error....on a completely clear road on a beautiful sunny (no glare) morning.

The car has since been sent to Lamborghini Miami for a complete review. The car was hit straight into the door and has taken the A pillar, rear quarter and rocker panel with it. After the accident, the steering wheel dropped and jammed. The airbags didn't go off but the airbag light came on. The steering is skewed and the active suspension fault light has come on and is blinking.
    When we were loading the car, I noticed that the dash lights didn't work nor the cooling fans wouldn't come on at operating temp. Both wheels have deep gouging and small chunks out of the aluminum outer rims.

At this point, we don't know the extent of the damage under the body surface and don't know which way this will go. Insurance coverage isn't an issue as the driver has coverage and I have very high limits on mine should his (likely) run out. I do not have to pay any deductible or will be penalized as the insurance company has already deemed the other driver at fault.

After the accident/initial insurance claim dust settled, I really didn't know where to go to start the process rolling. I put a call into Roy at Cats Exotics as he such varied experience with all things Lamborghini. He was a great help and made some calls to help me get the ball rolling. Thanks Roy!

I was going to wait until I had a final decision but this is such a known car and so many questions are swirling around. I will continue to post on this thread as new information becomes available.

I even made wrecked exotics lol

Lamborghini Diablo Roadster crashed in Orlando, Fl

Shamile

Freeze....Miami Vice!
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. GuyIncognito

GuyIncognito Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
    good luck man! glad you walked away.

speaking of Roy, he has a remarkably similar car in inventory ;)

3. Shamile

Shamile F1 Veteran

Dec 31, 2002
    Lakeland FL
    Full Name:
    Shamile
    Thanks Chas....I know who you are! lol

I saw and went.....sigh....

Shamile

Freeze...Miami Vice!

4. Shamile

Shamile F1 Veteran

Dec 31, 2002
    Lakeland FL
    Full Name:
    Shamile
    #4 Shamile, Jul 19, 2015
  5. Shamile

Shamile F1 Veteran

Dec 31, 2002
    Lakeland FL
    Full Name:
    Shamile
  6. Shamile

Shamile F1 Veteran

Dec 31, 2002
    Lakeland FL
    Full Name:
    Shamile
    #7 Shamile, Jul 19, 2015
  7. Jetfire

Jetfire Karting

Oct 23, 2009
    Dallas San Diego
    Glad you are ok man

8. Shamile

Shamile F1 Veteran

Dec 31, 2002
    Lakeland FL
    Full Name:
    Shamile
    #9 Shamile, Jul 19, 2015
    Last edited: Jul 19, 2015
    Thanks! I was and am still fine. The impact blew out the window ( tint held it together) but I wear my seat belt and was held firmly in the seat. My head didn't even hit the side window as I turned my head as the car came into the corner of my eye.

Shamile

Freeze....Miami Vice!

9. jgoodman

jgoodman F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 29, 2009
    Central PA
    Full Name:
    Jay Goodman
    Yes, good news that you're okay. Sounds like it could have been a lot worse. Hopefully you get your beauty back together soon.

10. kevfla

kevfla Formula 3

Nov 20, 2003
    Full Name:
    gone 4 good
    Shamile,
    So glad to see to see you walk away from that accident!!

Was the old guy driving a Crown Vic or Grand Marquis?

Kevin

11. Dolcevita

Dolcevita Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jul 5, 2011
    Ontario, Canada
    Full Name:
    Craig
    Sorry to hear about your car. I'm visiting my sister in law in Naples, Florida this week and the elderly drivers are everywhere. Now I'll give them more room than I was already giving them.

12. islandguy

islandguy Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 12, 2007
    Northern CA & NV
    So so sorry Shamile. Glad no one was hurt. If it ends up in CA to be resurrected you'll be in good hands. Take care...

Larry

13. white out

white out Formula 3

Mar 3, 2010
    Sorry to hear about the car and hope that you're doing well. All that matters is you're okay, even rare cars can be replaced.

14. lear60man

lear60man Formula 3

May 29, 2004
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Christian
    Glad you are OK!!!!! Its glass, metal and plastic....all replaceable. Blood, skin and bones different story.

Now that we have that out of the way, you clearly angered the Ferrari Gods with your TR sale ad. I suggest taking it down ASAP.

In all seriousness, glad you are OK.

15. V-TWELVE

V-TWELVE Formula 3

Jan 1, 2007
    Vancouver, BC
    Sorry to hear. You seem to have a good positive attitude about the whole thing. Bad stuff will always happen, but it's how you deal with it.

16. Spyder-Man

Spyder-Man Formula 3

May 11, 2004
    UK
    Full Name:
    Rob
    Chin up fella. I'm sure the car can be put right. At least you were not injured. Keep the faith.

17. dcast18

dcast18 Karting

Jan 18, 2009
    most importantly..u are ok!

car can be replaced with the one @ Roy's.

18. pc233

pc233 Karting

May 13, 2009
    Wellington, NZ
    Full Name:
    Paul Clemence
    Hi Shamile,

I am saddened to hear of your accident, although glad to hear you're okay.
    You've had the car for such a long time I can imagine that there is a bit more of an attachment to it than to any normal mode of transport. Heck, even though I don't know you personally, I've always associated you with your blue Roadster (and pretty girls:)
    I have a small British classic car I've owned for more than 25 years (worth probably 1/100th your Diablo) and when she was hit whilst parked on the side of the road by a courier driver who decided to read a map rather than watch the road, an accident that caused a similar amount of damage to yours, common sense said she should have been written off, but I couldn't bear to part with her so had her fixed up and put back on the road.
    All the best whatever decision you make.
    Cheers, Paul

P.S. To quote someone you're probably familiar with 'I get these occasional urges for stability in my life.' Sonny Crockett:

19. designo

designo Rookie

Jul 1, 2015
    Bahrain
    Full Name:
    Ahmed
    What really matters is that you're ok.
    I really hope the insurance can get that beast sorted out cause it's a beauty!

20. Like several said, the most important part is that you didn't get injured. Hopefully the car will be fixed. If not, I'm sure you'll find one to replace it.

21. Peter K.

Peter K. F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 9, 2004
    Connecticut
    Full Name:
    Peter K.
    Just curious, why bring it to a Lamborghini dealer when there are bodyshops that deal specifically with these types of car and that are usually more qualified or experience than a dealer? Unless the dealer has a shop which is part of the dealership. I don't know as most dealer sub out body stuff.

I ask because I have only vintage cars and if in an accident, I would only take them to the guys that restore them.

22. Countachqv

Countachqv Formula 3

Apr 25, 2007
    USA/France
    not cool. old drivers who cant see too well and drunks are always my fear.
    In this sad even, you got some luck. You could have had that beautiful girl as passenger or he could have hit yuo on your side. All in all his insurnace will cover it.
    His license is toast probably for the better of everyone

23. Shamile

Shamile F1 Veteran

Dec 31, 2002
    Lakeland FL
    Full Name:
    Shamile
    Thanks for all the kind words and positive vibes guys. Yes, I've had the car for a very long time and I still love it. I often laugh at myself that I still walk up to the car and go wow...even after 10 years.

As someone mentioned, I'm glad I didn't have a passenger. With the large transmission tunnel, we would have definitely had to cut the door off to remove her safely.

As for which shop to deal with, I'm not used to the Lamborghini considered a "vintage" car now. I actually had no idea who to even deal with. Roy and I thought it would be a good place to start at the dealership and go from there. The service manager Eddie has been very helpful and we still going through it.

Shamile

Freeze. ..Miami Vice!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk