I have a squeak...and no idea what it is | FerrariChat

I have a squeak...and no idea what it is

Discussion in '348/355' started by WATSON, Sep 18, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. WATSON

WATSON Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Sep 9, 2010
    WI
    I have a squeak that has gotten worse over time and driving me nuts.

Initially I thought it was in the suspension. I have looked at everything, pulled and pushed the car and can not recreate the squeak when the car is parked.

Not the brakes at all. Only happens when moving.

I fire the car up and drive and it squeaks over bumps. Worst in first gear. Barely noticeable on the highway in 5th or 6th. Does not squeak when shifting gears.

Car is rock solid and running well. Except for this stupid squeak.

I swear it is in the clutch somewhere. Can I get a squeak in the clutch????

======================
    Back story:

Car came back from engine out service (and an F1 mess they created) in June of 2015. When I drove the car up the driveway I heard said squeak ever so slightly and though nothing of it.

The car had the clutch looked at by Motion Products (who did the service). Their SD computer had failed and they could not reset the clutch after the engine out service. The car was sent to Lakeforest who looked at it but did not repair it due to silly suggestions. The car was sent to Continental where the system was corrected and returned to Motion Products.

Now I have a squeak.

Any ideas?

2. SoCal1

SoCal1 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Jun 14, 2011
    SoCal LA/OC/New Mexico
    Full Name:
    Tim Dee
    Is exhaust hitting motor mounts?

3. WATSON

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Sep 9, 2010
    WI
    Good question.

I had new motor mounts installed at the engine out service. So it shouldn't be. But I'll go look tonight.

4. junglistluder

junglistluder F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 23, 2007
    VA
    Full Name:
    Brendan
    I had a squeak from the rear when traveling slow and going over bumps.
    I would have sworn it was suspension or brakes.
    Turned out to be a slightly loose hub nut.

5. SoCal1

SoCal1 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Jun 14, 2011
    SoCal LA/OC/New Mexico
    Full Name:
    Tim Dee
    Look at the bottom of the cats, they can get real close to the MM bolts

WATSON likes this.
  6. itsablurr

itsablurr Formula 3

Dec 9, 2005
    Carlisle, MA
    Full Name:
    Matt
  7. WATSON

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Sep 9, 2010
    WI
    As in #36? Really? That is in there mighty tight.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

8. Dave rocks

Dave rocks F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Nov 23, 2012
    Orchard Park, NY
    Full Name:
    Dave Lelonek
  9. taz355

taz355 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 18, 2008
    Indio Ca/ Alberta
    Full Name:
    Grant
    Likely not this but I had a squeek and it was the instrument binacle, not tight enough.

Just thought i would share.

10. WATSON

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Sep 9, 2010
    WI
    Just checked. I have about 3/4" clearance from the bottom of the cats to the top of the MM bolts. Interesting as I never realized how close those were. But clearly not the issue.

Can the throw-out bearing squeak on the input shaft? Maybe?

11. m.stojanovic

m.stojanovic F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 22, 2011
    Malaysia - KL
    Full Name:
    Miroljub Stojanovic
    It can as it is turning all the time. But then the squeak "tone" would change with the engine speed and should significantly change when the clutch pedal is depressed.

12. Koenig1

Koenig1 Formula Junior

Aug 25, 2016
    Ottawa ON
    Full Name:
    Sandy
    Just a thought, check that your muffler heat shields are secure... Mine(348) had this annoying squeak(over bumps) that turned out to be a loose retaining bolt. I have no idea if the 355's have them.... but am assuming LOL!

13. taz355

taz355 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 18, 2008
    Indio Ca/ Alberta
    Full Name:
    Grant
    It must be pretty loud if you can hear it I would thinkk.

Might be kinda silly but what about using a lever set under the correct jacking point and push up and down on it to make the suspention work a little. Could at least eliminate suspention parts!

14. Streetsurfer

Streetsurfer Formula Junior

Dec 16, 2015
    near Chicago
    Full Name:
    Ron
    General suggestions not model specific:

Is it a brief one time squeak or something cyclical?

Doors can squeak as the body flexes, when the weather seals get dry. You might apply conditioning treatment to them and see if it subsides. Push/pull on each at rest and see if you can replicate it. Or apply outward or inward pressure to them when the squeak normally happens, to see if you can prevent it. Hood or bonnet also. Their stops may need adjustment. Check seat back and rails also.

15. joe1973

joe1973 Formula Junior

Nov 12, 2016
    NJ
    ^ agree on basic body panels. The rear deck lid if not tight can be a source of squeaky noises as you describe

WATSON likes this.
  16. WATSON

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Sep 9, 2010
    WI
    It is loud enough to overcome the Tubi Tube-Only exhaust I have on the car. :)

I tried the jack thing. Spent an hour feeling kinda silly, but found nothing. I pulled and jerked and tugged on the suspension and could get no noises at all. Good I guess, but gah.

17. WATSON

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Sep 9, 2010
    WI
    Agreed. But it is not the doors. It is in the back. Joe1973 might have something as the deck lid was off during the engine out. I did lube the latch thinking it might be that...but alas, it wasn't.

I'll prop it open, throw the latch (have to for the F1), and drive it around and see if that might be the cause.

I am going to go through the exhaust connections as well. It does seem to get worse as the car gets warmer. But I would think loose clamps would get tighter as the system heats & expands.

18. WATSON

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Sep 9, 2010
    WI
    True. But what about the bearing sliding back and forth on the input shaft? If they cleaned the livin' hell out of the clutch pumpkin and installed that bearing over the input shaft dry....could it squeak?

19. junglistluder

junglistluder F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 23, 2007
    VA
    Full Name:
    Brendan
    Yep, #36. Mine also seemed tight but it was replaced and no more squeak.

20. taz355

taz355 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 18, 2008
    Indio Ca/ Alberta
    Full Name:
    Grant
    I can see your frustration because it seems like you check a lot of the obvious stuff.

Good luck and keep us informed.

WATSON likes this.
  21. m.stojanovic

m.stojanovic F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 22, 2011
    Malaysia - KL
    Full Name:
    Miroljub Stojanovic
    The throw-out bearing is kept in permanent contact with the "fingers" of the clutch cover by its two springs. It only slides when you press the clutch pedal. Another possibility - check all subframe bolts for tightness.

22. phrogs

phrogs F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 13, 2004
    Michigan
    Have you checked the engine craddle to body mounts? Just throwing that out there as a possibility.

23. Beetle

Beetle Formula Junior

Apr 10, 2013
    Might sound strange but try squirting a little WD40 on the shocker piston rod where they go into the shocker body. Years ago I had a squeak that I could not isolate and all it was was the sealing O ring at the top of the shock absorber was a little dry I think. Just slow moving over bumps was the only time it squeaked. Anyway just a thought :)

24. Boaf 32

Boaf 32 Formula Junior

Aug 23, 2016
    US
    Boaf's 2 cents since you have helped me out tremendously. If it sounds like a "rubber" squeak while shifting, and going over bumps, were the trans mounts replaced at engine out? I see the engine mounts were. WD 40 the trans mounts and see if it goes away. At the very least, you ruled them out.

Also, as you already know, if this started after the service, my other suspicion, as Phrogs said, loose cradle bolts. The torque seems to be making the squeak so something is not snug.

I know I also have a suspension squeak in the rear but haven't taken a look at it yet. Will start with WD, and go from there.

Boaf

Beetle likes this.