im scratch building a 156 sharknose | FerrariChat

im scratch building a 156 sharknose

Discussion in 'Recreations & Non-Period Rebodies' started by turbo-minivan, Feb 28, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. turbo-minivan

turbo-minivan Rookie

Feb 28, 2017
    hi, i am new here and hope that i can join your community without causing animosity over my project and my current ignorance. i am new to the European car world and am currently researching everything i can on the 61-62 Ferrari 156 sharknose.
    i am a Canadian back yard "hot rod" builder and have built 5 cars from scratch thus far and my latest undertaking is a replica 156. it is a replica (not a recreation) because of many factors, but namely the drive line. i know there are many purists out there so i hope to not cause quarrel by this, but i am using a 2003 Hayabusa engine. the entirety of the rest of the car i have been building from scratch from nothing more than photos and the meager specs i can find on line.
    im in my young 30s and am a father of young kids so i have a rather pathetic budget, but i am trying to produce something that not only looks historically exact, but that also will perform like a true track race car.
    my goal is to try and do in my home garage, what Ferrari was able to do with experts, but do it using todays technology and materials such as carbon fiber and aluminum, and my experience in building other cars and racers.
    i hope to be able to share some photos of the progress and learn as i go.
    i have an Instagram page dedicated to the build that you can look at if you like. @howisthatstreetlegal

i will post pictures soon.

2. turbo-minivan

turbo-minivan Rookie

Feb 28, 2017
    Thank you. I have seen and read these and have great respect for such an ambitious project!
    Mine will not be to that caliber or perfection as its happening in my home garage, but i hope to produce as close as i can, given my means and personal skill.

3. turbo-minivan

turbo-minivan Rookie

Feb 28, 2017
    here are a few pictures of where i am at as of this evening. the chassis of course looks nothing like that of the true 156 but keep in mind im using a completely different engine and so on. this cant be called even a replica i dont think. more like a "look alike" i suppose.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. Smiles

Smiles F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 20, 2003
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Full Name:
    Matt F
    Very cool.

Do you have pictures of the frame in progress? It seems so complex. I'm amazed that it came out dimensionally square.

Matt

5. turbo-minivan

turbo-minivan Rookie

Feb 28, 2017
    Right now the frame is only tacked together. I planned the frame so i have been able to build it in such a way as to make it simple for bends and braces, mounts, and so on.

6. PAUL500

PAUL500 F1 Rookie

Jun 23, 2013
    #7 PAUL500, Mar 1, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 1, 2017
    Looks good. You may be better having this thread transferred to the projects section at the bottom of the forum, this particular section was meant for existing historic Ferrari's which been modified out of period.

Less bashers and more enthusiasts down there :)

7. Ryan S.

Ryan S. Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 20, 2004
    Awesome this will be fun to watch!

8. macca

macca Formula Junior

Dec 3, 2003
    Great project, good luck with it.

I've seen the yellow sharknose many times, from construction through to racing at Goodwood, as the Jim Stokes workshops are only a couple of miles from me.

I also saw the Chris Rea replica when it first appeared and when Phil Hill drove it at Goodwood and Silverstone - it looks OK in profile but is too small and slim overall compared to the original. The last I heard of it, it was owned in Holland by someone who had an original type engine (maybe 120 degree) and was trying to fit it but was struggling because the frame is too small.

I was wondering why you're using the Hayabusa engine - I know it's readily available, and light, and has the right sort of power; but it's an inline four with chain final drive. Maybe a Honda V4 with shaft drive (like the ST1300) would have been nearer, or even a GL1800 flat six.

Of course, there are car engines like the Alfa Romeo but they are all bigger and heavier.

I just wish I had that sort of determination and skill......and space.... and money....!

Paul M
    Paul M

9. turbo-minivan

turbo-minivan Rookie

Feb 28, 2017
    Oh, i didnt see that section when i did my original post. If a moderator wants to move it thats okay.
    Thanks ;)

10. turbo-minivan

turbo-minivan Rookie

Feb 28, 2017
    I opted for the chain driven busa engine mainly because of availability, performance parts suport, and the ease of design and building with the chain drive. I have quite a low budget and can do 99% of the work myself, but if i get too deep into custom drives and machined parts it begins to cost more, and i loose the ability to say i did everything myself in my home garage.
    I figured that since its not going to be a true recreation, i can break a few rules as far as driveline.... as long as it has the right shape, size, feel, similar sound, and performs, thats what im going for. Perhaps bold to say, but my goal is to do as good as they did in the 60s but use todays materials and know how, and pull it off in my home garage.

11. FLORIDAsnakeEyes

FLORIDAsnakeEyes Formula 3

Jul 7, 2015
    Sarasota, Florida
    Full Name:
    OC
    Look into the f1000 cars. They do a Suzuki gsxr engine with custom pan. It's all readily available and pretty cheap

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk