Is there a driver out there EVERYONE likes? | Page 3 | FerrariChat

Is there a driver out there EVERYONE likes?

Discussion in 'F1' started by Whisky, Oct 21, 2009.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Earthboundmisfit

Earthboundmisfit Formula Junior

Aug 7, 2009
    Ontario
    Full Name:
    Steve
    +1

2. LightGuy

LightGuy Four Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 4, 2004
    Texas
    Full Name:
    David
    All time ?
    Moss, Phil Hill, or Jim Clark.
    For me; GillesV

And yes; Vettel today.

3. robert_c

robert_c F1 Rookie

May 12, 2005
    SoCal
    Full Name:
    Robert C
    +1

4. Killing Time

Killing Time Formula Junior

Sep 5, 2008
    Los Angeles
    In this order for me:

Vettel
    Hamilton
    Kimi (staying)
    Rosberg
    Kubica
    Kobayashi

5. brian.s

brian.s F1 Rookie
    Professional Ferrari Technician

Nov 3, 2003
    Midwest
    Full Name:
    Brian
    Some likeable F1 guys there!

Williamson, Pace, Emmo, Beuttler so far, I need to watch it again (or get out my programme from that weekend!). I know we were back in the pack. possibly Peterson in the March?

Of course they were approachable in those days even when they got to the top.

That's one thing Nascar has managed to keep control of.

6. Matt Andrews

Matt Andrews Formula Junior

Dec 31, 2006
    Newport Beach, CA
    i think the problem with this question is that to some degree, every current driver already has an identity. And moving a "good" driver from their original team to Ferrari will alwyas draw complaints about talent poaching, etc.

Ferrari needs their own driver development program. It may take them 5 years to have their own talent pool, but I think the ferrari public would really be behind it. Like Hamilton was for McLaren.

7. ferrari 512 tr

ferrari 512 tr F1 Rookie

Nov 16, 2008
    Australia
    Full Name:
    Paolo
    doesnt raikonnen remind you of ivan draga
    yasamya - i fight for myself to win

8. subirg

subirg F1 Rookie

Dec 19, 2003
    Cheshire
    Vet for the job. He's the real deal and a good bloke as well.

Personally, I like Hamilton too, but his image just isn't right - although Nicole has already demonstrated an admirable ability to do justice to short red dress!

9. Nuvolari

Nuvolari F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 3, 2002
    Toronto / SoCal
    Full Name:
    Rob C.
    I like Vettel but you watch it is Schumacher all over again. When MS entered into F1 his happiness and smiling was universaly welcomed. Fast forward a few years when he is winning everything and the SAME smile and enthusiasm is seen as arrogant and smug.

Make no mistake: NOBODY LIKES A WINNER.

Vettel has not won enough yet. Give him a few years and you will see what I mean.

10. tifosi12

tifosi12 Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    #60 tifosi12, Oct 23, 2009
    Last edited: Oct 23, 2009
    You could be right. Then again I think (hope) MS was a singular anomaly in racing.

Right now I love Vettel, particularly when he wins, but if he keeps winning Schumacher style and goes beyond eg. 3 WDCs, then I will get bored and want him gone.

I was happily supporting Schumacher until he eclipsed Fangio's record (I got tired of the commentators always bringing up that old story, whether they talked about Lauda, Piquet, Senna or Prost). But after MS won 6 titles, I really had seen enough of him. As did the public since TV viewership started to tank.

11. 4rePhill

4rePhill F1 Veteran

Oct 18, 2009
    Worcester, England
    Full Name:
    Phill J
    Blast!, you beat Me to it! :D

+1 here for Vettel

12. Vuongnguyen05

Vuongnguyen05 Karting

May 16, 2008
    Vettel all the way

13. Jack-the-lad

Jack-the-lad Six Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 22, 2004
    Moot Pointe
    #63 Jack-the-lad, Oct 23, 2009
    Last edited: Oct 23, 2009
    I don't like any of them, including Vettel, so there is no universally liked driver.

Sorry.

14. greg328

greg328 F1 Rookie

Nov 17, 2003
    Austin, TX USA
    Full Name:
    Greg
    A young Trulli may have done well at Ferrari, but at this point in his career, he is too programmed to NOT win. Great qualifier though..

I want an Italian winning driver at Ferrari--is that too much to ask??

:)

Greg

15. NeuroBeaker

NeuroBeaker Advising Moderator

Oct 1, 2008
    Huntsville, AL., USA
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    What a strange reaction to a dominant Champion... :eek:

I LOVE watching winners - and was willing Michael Schumacher on to see just how far he could go. Why does it have to be a different driver doing great things each race? Just appreciate and enjoy the skill - he was awe inspiring! :D

All the best,
    Andrew.

16. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    F1 became totally predictable. What's the point in watching a race when you knew who'd be on pole, who'd win the race and who'd win the title?

That's why I thought this season totally rocked. Different winners and unpredictable outcomes.

Also now that we live in the post MS era, it is nice to see the field being populated again by more than just 1 WDC. Next year we'll have 4 of them. When was that the last time we saw that? Somewhere back in the nineties (MS, Hakkinen, Villeneuve, Hill).

17. GTE

GTE F1 World Champ

Jun 24, 2004
    The Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Marnix
    Hate to spoil the party, but I don't want Vettel at Ferrari. He is quick, but I don't like him, so I'd rather see him being beaten by someone in a Ferrari. So he can't go to the Scuderia.

All times: Jean Alesi. Who doesn't like Jean?

18. GTE

GTE F1 World Champ

Jun 24, 2004
    The Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Marnix

I don't watch races to be suprised. I watch races to see talented drivers do what they do best. Schumacher was a master at it. I feel honored to have witnessed how he made racing history. In 2004 he became WDC as soon as the French GP!

19. LightGuy

LightGuy Four Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 4, 2004
    Texas
    Full Name:
    David

Peterson yes. Even by his competitors of the time.

20. 4rePhill

4rePhill F1 Veteran

Oct 18, 2009
    Worcester, England
    Full Name:
    Phill J
    All time?, it's gotta be Gilles Velleneuve! :D

A harder, faster, fairer driver has never raced!

21. Papa G

Papa G Formula 3

Dec 29, 2003
    All time - Tazio Nuvolari

22. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    Not sure he gets my vote. He was great fun to watch and a legend in his own right, but he didn't think the most essential WDC rule through:

You first need to finish to finish first.

23. zaevor2000

zaevor2000 Formula 3

Jul 18, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    Full Name:
    Frank Waugh
    Currently it would have to be Vettel. He is a talented, humble driver with no baggage that I am aware of. He has to be on the top of every team's short list...

Scanning the entire history of F1 I believe most F1 fans would go with Fangio. Not only universally admired but how many of today's current drivers command enough respect that their own teammate, with a shot at the title, just gets out of his car and hands it to Fangio?

24. kraftwerk

kraftwerk Two Time F1 World Champ

May 12, 2007
    England North West
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Well since the original question has evolved into all time most liked driver.

James Hunt is my favourite followed by Mika H.

25. NeuroBeaker

NeuroBeaker Advising Moderator

Oct 1, 2008
    Huntsville, AL., USA
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    I thought the racing in the Schumacher Era was great - particularly when Schumi was racing against Alonso. I suspect many people confuse variability of result with 'good racing', and chiefly among those who do is the FIA.

If you really want to see what the best a driver can do in the best car the team is able to give him, then you need to have stability in the regulations to allow long-term development. What we're currently seeing is rule changes implemented almost season upon season with very little concrete framework for the teams to work inside... usually in the name of 'cost cutting' - ironically forcing teams to spend more money on adapting the car to the new regulations. It's the teams that manage to adapt most quickly, rather than the ones who could develop a better car long-term that are enjoying superior results.

I don't mind if one driver wins it all the time if they do it by simply being better than the competition. And watching Schumacher race was a joy... when someone challenged him, he usually won out but the fight was entertaining. I've often found my enthusiasm waning throughout various points this season, and not just because Ferrari weren't doing well.

All the best,
    Andrew.