LaFerrari in Collectibles | Page 3 | FerrariChat

LaFerrari in Collectibles

Discussion in 'Collectables, Literature, & Models' started by furmano, Mar 15, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. gt4me

gt4me F1 Veteran

Sep 10, 2005
    UK
    Full Name:
    Lewis Mitchell
  2. furmano

furmano Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 22, 2004
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Furman
    #52 furmano, Mar 22, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  3. ScuderiaWithStickPlease

ScuderiaWithStickPlease F1 World Champ

Dec 17, 2007
    NY Metro
    What I miss about assembling models is how familiar one can become with the shape of the Whatever -- it's an almost intimate thing. The only other way to do that is by hand washing the Whatever, IMO.

4. furmano

Silver Subscribed

Jul 22, 2004
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Furman
    #54 furmano, Aug 25, 2015
  5. Julius H.

Julius H. Formula Junior

Feb 25, 2013
    Europe
    Full Name:
    Julius
    #55 Julius H., Aug 30, 2015
  6. lucky_13_2002

lucky_13_2002 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 26, 2006
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Michael
    This looks more like Giallo Modena. It definitely does not look like Tristrati.

7. furmano

Silver Subscribed

Jul 22, 2004
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Furman
    Very nice.

OK, stupid question, but I have to ask. What is the difference in quality between this curbside model and a Hot Wheels Elite? I mean, I love BBR and all but what makes this model worth so much aside from a really nice base?

-F

8. Loz997S

Loz997S Formula Junior

Aug 26, 2007
    Bay Area
    Full Name:
    Laurence D
    Good question, I've got a couple BBR's and Elites and they don't look 5x apart in quality (but they certainly are in price).

9. furoni

furoni F1 World Champ

Jun 6, 2011
    Vila Verde
    Full Name:
    Pedro Braga Soares
    Well, the BBR does have more detail, you wan't notest it from a distance but if you look close, things like tailpipes, headlamps, almost everything will look more real in the bbr.
    Than the resin models are more expensive. The mould for a diecast is a lot more expensive than a resin one, but the built model itself gets much more expensive in resin than in Diecast. Another diference is the paint quality, vastly superior on the BBR. Than you obviously pay the brand and exclusivity, and the packaging as well.
    Of course i believe BBRs are not worth the diference to the Elite, that's why i have the HW elite, and i'm prety happy with it!!

10. lucky_13_2002

lucky_13_2002 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 26, 2006
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Michael
    Actually BBR models have been proven numerous times in the past to be LESS ACCURATE than Mattel Elite. And they don't have more detail, which is laughable, considering nothing on them opens. I have few 1:18 resin models and some of them are downright crude.
    To give them credit, their paint is considerably better. Resin also allows some shapes to be reproduced better than in metal, due to the flexibility of the molds.
    BUT THERE IS NOTHING ON A RESIN MODEL THAT COSTS MORE THAN ON A DIECAST. That is a myth. The "exclusivity" factor is also BS. These models are made in China (yes both BBR and MR) and mass produced. It gets so ridiculous with "the exclusivity" that you can find the identical model in the exact same color combos in three or four different "limited editions". One would be supposedly only 399 pieces, the other would be only 100 pieces and the third would be "the-amazing-20-only-made". And the only difference between them would be the color of the leather on the plinth they come mounted to. Then they will repeat the exercise with the same model, but with black wheels. Then they will do it with different color calipers, then mirrors etc. And you end up with total production of 2346 red models with black roofs alone. Then multiply it by all the colors they decide to make it in, including hot pink, wild fuscia and every Lambo color too. Then you take that number and you multiply it by two, since they will make a gloss and a flat finish of each color combo. And then you realize that you just paid $500 for an exclusive Italian handmade replica, that was actually mass produced in China in far greater numbers than the Mattel Elite model for $100. Then if it does not brake literally in half on the way to you, you pray the resin proportions were exact, because otherwise some areas could shrink, which in turn would warp your windows (in the best case scenario).
    I was part of a Facebook group which quickly became infested with rather young Asian collectors trying to outdo themselves with who has more resin "high end" models. I was blamed that I have a case of "sour grapes". So when I posted pictures of my resin models, but also showing their inaccuracies, carpentry screws holding flat panels underneath, sloppy paint application, glaring mistakes and blobs of hot glue keeping things together, I got kicked out of the group.
    In short, If you want a nice MODEL of the LaFerrari by the Mattel Elite. If you want a fancy PAPERWEIGHT, go get the BBR.

11. Julius H.

Julius H. Formula Junior

Feb 25, 2013
    Europe
    Full Name:
    Julius
    correct my fault.my BBR Speciale A is Giallo tristrato this is common giallo modena.thanks

Julius

12. Julius H.

Julius H. Formula Junior

Feb 25, 2013
    Europe
    Full Name:
    Julius
    i do not collect HW and have never seen any HW LF in person.but would like to see both next to each other.

Julius

13. lucky_13_2002

lucky_13_2002 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 26, 2006
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Michael
    My comment was about BBR 1:18 models in general.
    In this particular case, the BBR LaFerrari is better not just by paint. The Mattel Elite model is very good, but it suffers from some issues inherent with die-casting. Like for example the shape of the intakes in the doors.
    But if you compare their 458 Italia, 599 GTO, FF etc., The Mattel Elite is actually better.
    The only time when I get BBR models is when there is no alternative. Like SP1, SP12EC, Aperta etc.
    I don't mean to trash BBR as models. They are wonderful pieces of memorabilia. But there is no reason for the high prices, other than branding and I despise their practices with the "limited editions" which is pure BS. There are plenty of other resin models built at hte same level of finish that are more exclusive (for real) for less than half the price.

14. furoni

furoni F1 World Champ

Jun 6, 2011
    Vila Verde
    Full Name:
    Pedro Braga Soares
    Most of my models are diecasts, Mostly HW and Kyoshos (i think Hw was doing an amazing job for the price)....i have the 599 gto and it is an amazing car, i also have the regular 458 and the 458 gt2 (af corse version) wich IMO is the best Elite ever made.
    I have 2 diecasts BBrs wich are my favourite models, the 375+ and the 512bb LM, both are amazing pieces with a level of detail vastly superioe to anything elite ever produced.
    I haver never bough a resin BBr simply because they are far too expensive for me, but i do have 2 Blue moons (a cheaper bbr company) and i'm happy with them, but of course, they cost half the price from a regular bbr. TRl made an amazing 350 can am in resin, but the latest eforts from CMF for example are very poor when compared to Blue moon. I have nothing again sealed models, in fact i prefered them if their lines are more acurate then a diecast, however if the diference it's minimal i will take the diecast anyday....i have the 250 tr from CMC and it's a also a fine model.

15. furoni

furoni F1 World Champ

Jun 6, 2011
    Vila Verde
    Full Name:
    Pedro Braga Soares
    As Michael said, the biggest problem with the HW Elite are the door air intakes, the interior shape is not 100% acurate, because it was very hard to do in a diecast , but apart from that and if you find a model without Qc issues than you should take it....

16. furoni

furoni F1 World Champ

Jun 6, 2011
    Vila Verde
    Full Name:
    Pedro Braga Soares
    [Q
    I was part of a Facebook group which quickly became infested with rather young Asian collectors trying to outdo themselves with who has more resin "high end" models. I was blamed that I have a case of "sour grapes". So when I posted pictures of my resin models, but also showing their inaccuracies, carpentry screws holding flat panels underneath, sloppy paint application, glaring mistakes and blobs of hot glue keeping things together, I got kicked out of the group.
    In short, If you want a nice MODEL of the LaFerrari by the Mattel Elite. If you want a fancy PAPERWEIGHT, go get the BBR.[/QUOTE]

It's funny because normaly it's the other way around, most diecast collectors despise resins and keep trashing them, wich becames really boring....i dont care if it's sealed or open, i just want the best possible representation of the model at the best possible price.

17. Julius H.

Julius H. Formula Junior

Feb 25, 2013
    Europe
    Full Name:
    Julius
    #67 Julius H., Sep 1, 2015
    Last edited: Sep 1, 2015
    waiting for LF from Amalgam will post it here soon in details.

cant wait to get it!

J.

18. furoni

furoni F1 World Champ

Jun 6, 2011
    Vila Verde
    Full Name:
    Pedro Braga Soares
    WEll, that one should be perfect..:)

19. lucky_13_2002

lucky_13_2002 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 26, 2006
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Michael
    With the price tag it carries it better be.
    I can't afford the Amalgams, but even if I could, I would not get them. Maybe get just one. They are amazing but, 1:8 is huge. I have four 1:18 Pocher Ferraris and two of them stay in boxes put away. Simply because I don't have the space.

20. faykau

faykau Formula Junior

Dec 19, 2013
    #70 faykau, Sep 2, 2015
    Last edited: Sep 2, 2015
    not taking side on any of the resin brand, maybe except for amalgam 1:8, which still looks a bit awkward in photo..

but the hot wheel elite 1:18 is a joke in terms of reproducing the intricacy of the fine lines on the real car. the shutlines are all way too wide, and the sculpting is obviously sup-par to 1:18 mr or bbr ( i think 1:18 is still too small to capture the details of this car). sure the increase in price can't be justified proportionally to the increase in quality but when i saw the actual elite 1:18 i puked in my mouth for how rough the details are... i am patient enough to wait for more options in the future. if i were to choose one to buy ( anything under 1000 usd) it would be mr, as it has slightly better details compared to bbr, but the draw back is the cartoony carbon fiber pattern on the mr models ( bbr is a bit more realistic on that)

and i agree with you on those limited edition bull**** from bbr. some colors are more expensive for no reason, and they always painted that little triangle near side window to the body color, which is not a common practice for the real car ( so far i have only seen one real laferrari example to have that triangle painted in body color, and of course, this excludes all the black cars)

21. faykau

faykau Formula Junior

Dec 19, 2013
    i am curious how much you can customize on your order, considering the price you pay for that.

but even in the amalgam 1'8 the carbon fiber pattern is quite unrealistic, which is a shame ( i saw one in a model shop long time ago), and the mirrors seems to be a bit too high compared to the real car.

but other than that, it is amazingly detailed and well made, if i have to be nit-picky on improvement, then it would be real leather seats.

22. 330i

330i Formula Junior

Aug 7, 2006

On Amalgam 1:8 you can customize anything. For a price.

23. Christian.Fr

Christian.Fr Two Time F1 World Champ

Jun 9, 2005
    Full Name:
    Christian.Fr
    Good morning Noriaan,

I think you can earn money when you buy them new. In 10or 25 years the diecast are coming
    Sometimes with small damage and price are not the same
    with condition of the product.

I like them new too, they will be nice in my display in 25 years.

but I understand also the passionating rersearch of a rare model ;-)

Best

24. Christian.Fr

Christian.Fr Two Time F1 World Champ

Jun 9, 2005
    Full Name:
    Christian.Fr
    Looking for 1/12 LF by Tamyia or Kyosho any news?

25. furoni

furoni F1 World Champ

Jun 6, 2011
    Vila Verde
    Full Name:
    Pedro Braga Soares
    Nope....