Let American Airlines screw you over up to 6 times... | FerrariChat

Let American Airlines screw you over up to 6 times...

Discussion in 'Travel' started by energy88, Jan 18, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. energy88

energy88 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2012
    West of Fredericksburg, VA
    Full Name:
    John
  2. Kaivball

Kaivball Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jan 11, 2007
    Kalifornia
    You get what you pay for and consistently people want to pay less, not more.

Kai

3. Skyler

Skyler Formula 3

May 31, 2004
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Skyler
    +1

Damned if you do, damned if you don't.

4. TheDuke

TheDuke Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 22, 2011
    Texas
    The great news is that you can still get regular main cabin seats. This isn't an issue at all

The only really "miserable" part about it is no access to overhead bins. Nothing else has really changed. Im having a hard time seeing why AA offering a cheaper ticket with some restrictions is a problem

5. amenasce

amenasce Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 17, 2001
    Full Name:
    Joe Mansion
    Let's see if the price is really cheaper or if they simply bump up the price of their current offerings..

6. GrigioGuy

GrigioGuy Splenda Daddy
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 26, 2001
    E ' ' '/ F
    Full Name:
    Trailer Swift
    Even worse than Spirit. And I didn't think that was possible.

7. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    Thank United. They started this.

8. TheDuke

TheDuke Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 22, 2011
    Texas
    Let's hope so. Flight pricing is so random sometimes they could bump the cost for regular main cabin and most people wouldn't notice.

I don't care that they added it but if they added it to price gouge on other classes of service I'll be pretty upset.

Mayor, did pricing in other classes of service increase when United added their version of this?

9. energy88

energy88 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2012
    West of Fredericksburg, VA
    Full Name:
    John
    Looking at Basic Economy class on the positive side, it seems that a traveler is almost guaranteed a center seat. Nice for those who prefer this.

10. amenasce

amenasce Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 17, 2001
    Full Name:
    Joe Mansion
    Yes. Im pretty sure this Eco Basic will become the standard so that will be what people will be shown when they shop on Expedia and such. Price most likely wont be that much different and so AA will then offer you the "chance" to upgrade for what you have right now..

11. BMW.SauberF1Team

BMW.SauberF1Team F1 World Champ

Dec 4, 2004
    I just take Southwest for all my domestic trips, but SWA is pricier sometimes in the cross-country routes. Alaska is my preferred for cross-country since you get two carry-ons as no extra charge.

12. TheDuke

TheDuke Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 22, 2011
    Texas
    Ugh this is starting to look worse and worse. Hopefully for biz travel I'll be able to still fly normal main cabin

13. TC94

TC94 Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Aug 23, 2005
    Full Name:
    CThruU
    The same seating options have just started showing up on my Delta searches also. I always flight economy comfort or business class, but it does make selections a little trickier.

14. cls

cls Formula 3

Jun 12, 2007
    Los Angeles/Montreal
    Full Name:
    Chris
    I agree completely. I don't mind paying for bags, paying for meals, or paying for a better seat or class. That's their prerogative, and it's mine to choose an airline and pay for services.

What I don't like are the deceptive airline practices, such as, when I book 3 seats for my family and select seats, the airlines scramble them and then offer seats together for a premium. A practice they call "soft blocking."

15. Innovativethinker

Innovativethinker F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 8, 2009
    So Cal
    Full Name:
    Mark Smith
    It will only get worse. I only fly first or business, to me it's worth it. I've extended that to my kids for the family vacations. Coach today reminds me of ny subway in the late 80's

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

16. LightGuy

LightGuy Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 4, 2004
    Texas
    Full Name:
    David
    They think they are so smart.
    It's easier to lose a customer than gain one.

17. FarmerDave

FarmerDave F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Jul 26, 2004
    Full Name:
    IgnoranteWest
    #17 FarmerDave, Jan 21, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 21, 2017
    Much ado about nothing here. Almost nothing changing here except forcing the worst abusers of carry-on privileges to modify their behavior.

They're closing a loophole that passengers were exploiting, knowingly or not, where they would get to the gate with a bag they should have paid to check before they went through security, and it would then be gate checked through at no cost.

Then, when on board, nearly every AA flight I get on, the last people aboard have no place to put their carry on bags, so the stewardesses have to tag their bag and send it below - again, due to more passengers carrying on the mutliple bags they should have checked.

Notice that none of these rules apply to someone with a frequent flyer status. Also this is only a fare available on select routes, my guess is, these will be the routes with highest rate of gate-checked bags and chronic overhead bin space issues.

I fly American exclusively because I have to, nobody else serves SJT. I fly about 10 times a year.

18. PureEuroM3

PureEuroM3 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 31, 2006
    Toronto, Ontario, Canada
    Full Name:
    Thomas
    The funny part is this will not affect majority of the people here who talk about "paying for better service".

It will affect all the road warriors and those who conduct business on the road actively under a company. These people have the travel booked for them and the agency looks to save money. My company for example books my flight at "Tango" fare normally. That is the lowest with Air Canada. It does not make me eligible for upgrades and flight changes cost insane money. I have no choice with regards to the fare I select.

I can see my colleagues with +100 flights on American Airlines annually being furious once booked on this fare and getting no preferred treatment.

19. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    I agree it hurts business travelers who don't purchase their own tickets and have accountants tell them they will fly the cheapest.

20. Innovativethinker

Innovativethinker F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 8, 2009
    So Cal
    Full Name:
    Mark Smith
    I see this on every flight, and it is annoying as heck, as that crew has to deal with it and take time away from everyone else.

Everyone knows what they can and can't carry on, and most know what they should. I love the comment "that's my purse" (well maybe not anymore).

If everyone brought on too many bags there wouldn't be enough space, so anyone that does is saying "I want everyone here to subsidize me".

The practice is stupid and selfish. They should charge a $200 premium if you have to check a bag at the plane. That will slow down the practice.

21. PureEuroM3

PureEuroM3 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 31, 2006
    Toronto, Ontario, Canada
    Full Name:
    Thomas
    That is a two part issue and the one you mention,imo, is mot the biggest one.

The issue i see is that people put many items in the bins instead of in front of them. My laptop bag always goes in front of my feet and my carry on up top. Ive seen purses, laptop bags, jackets, little hags, and more above.

Ive seen it many times if a simple bag was moved a luggage would fit. Its not because the suitcases are slightly oversized. If its clearly oversized the check in team should be to blame.

Im not a fan of this new fare but its for the reasons you heard above. I do not book my own flights. I did do about 125 flights last year.

22. dm_n_stuff

dm_n_stuff Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Other than insuring that you bag doesn't get lost, what is the advantage to carry on? I always check my bag. I hate dealing with overhead bins and the associated bull****, so I check it. And because of my TSA pre-check status, I go through the security aspect faster as well with only myself and a notebook computer to scan.

Oh, funny story. A few years ago, my wife was selected for a more thorough check at the TSA screening. She was apparently wearing something that set off the metal detector. But even after they wanded her they didn't find anything, so they called a woman TSA officer over to pat her down. While so doing, she told the TSA person she wasn't doing it right, and that she'd be happy to show her how it's done. (Remember my wife is a former Fed.)

That was not greeted with the kind of positive reaction she was hoping for. She ended up in a back room getting a somewhat more careful search which still revealed nothing, and they let us through, all the while she was offering to show them how to do their jobs better.

Lesson learned, she has never offered her "help" again.

D

23. PureEuroM3

PureEuroM3 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 31, 2006
    Toronto, Ontario, Canada
    Full Name:
    Thomas
    I have a couple reasons i do it. The main one is having it on hand. I dont travel in a suit so i need mine to arrive as a suit store isnt always open at 730 to 8am.

Speed is a big one.Check in online and go right to the gate. no drop off baggage. This same speed applies when you arrive. I grab my bag and walk right to the rental car. When you are in row 5 with no checked bag you save a decent chunk of time.

Flight adjustments. its easier to get moved as needed with no checked bag.

I have checked a bag once ij two years for the above reasons.

24. jkddad

jkddad Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 26, 2006
    Oh, don't get me started about others making my travel arrangements, especially those that typically don't travel.

25. Townshend

Townshend F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jul 20, 2005
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    Walter
    If they fly that frequently they will have Executive Platinum status and still get preferred treatment minus the ability to be upgraded