Let´s talk about Boxing | Page 53 | FerrariChat

Let´s talk about Boxing

Discussion in 'Sports' started by Zzono, Dec 13, 2008.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. andrewecd

andrewecd Formula Junior

Dec 17, 2006
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    I watched AJ KO the Brazilian guy, Zambono, just a few weeks ago.
    Doesn't waste time between fights, does he?
    After the Zambono fight there is a "meeting" in the ring with AJ and Johnson which was quite funny.
    He will venture out of the UK soon so keep an eye on this guy.

2. PAP 348

PAP 348 Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 10, 2005
    Mount Isa, Australia
    Full Name:
    Pap
    Yep, I have watched a few of his fights now. He makes it look easy. :)

Definitely one to watch for in the very near future. :)

3. ag512bbi

ag512bbi F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 8, 2003
    So. Cal
    Full Name:
    Armen
    #1303 ag512bbi, Jun 3, 2015
    Last edited: Jun 3, 2015
    I'm so excited about the upcoming Nicholas Walters vs Marriaga fight. I became a huge fan of Walters after his win against Darchinyan (even though I wanted Darchinyan to win) and look forward to watching him fight again.

Q&A: Nicholas Walters | Boxing News | Fightnews

4. Graz

Graz Formula 3

Oct 15, 2012
    New Jersey and Florida
    Full Name:
    Graziano
    How do you guys feel about the upcoming Cotto vs Geale fight. I think Cotto will walk right through Geale. A lack luster offering of a fight IMHO.

5. BULL RUN

BULL RUN Formula 3

Dec 18, 2004
    I forgot about Walters. He was impressive against Nonito Donarie.

I'm not so sure about Cotto's chances against Geale.

First a rant...I see he's squeezing Geale down to 157 even though he's the linear 160 lb. Champ. I really hate these catchweight fights. It's just a tactic to make the fight easier for a smaller guy. If you're not a Middleweight go back down to 54! It puts a huge * on his record and legacy. I used to love Miguel. now, not so much.

I am completely forgetting his Martinez fight. This will be tougher.

6. nsxrebel

nsxrebel Formula 3

Jan 8, 2004
    Cotto is an embarrassment to the sport. First of all, the only reason he became the lineal champion was by beating an old and shot Martinez. Had Cotto fought a healthy Martinez, he would have gotten his ass kicked, no doubt about it.

He's avoiding Canelo, I think that fight would have been at Jr Middleweight and not at Middle Weight. And we all KNOW he doesn't want none of GGG.

Cotto says GGG has fought no class "A" fighters, but he is facing Geale, a fighter GGG destroyed in 3 rounds. Miguel says Geale was the biggest name on the table, that's why he's fighting him, and to top it off, he's draining him down to 157. SMFH

Geale ain't no Golovkin, but he is not injured like Martinez was/is. I suspect Cotto will not have an easy fight. What a farce this will be if Geale wins the fight and becomes the lineal champion. I predict we'll see Golovkin-Geale Part Deux if that happens, and Geale won't hold on to that belt for very long.

Someone asks Cotto what is on all our minds..

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NN4iUpILj0s[/ame]

7. ag512bbi

ag512bbi F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 8, 2003
    So. Cal
    Full Name:
    Armen
    Can't say Cotto is an embarrassment to the sport. Can say he is WAY past his prime. He has accomplished a lot in his boxing career.

8. andrewecd

andrewecd Formula Junior

Dec 17, 2006
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Andrew

9. joe sackey

joe sackey Five Time F1 World Champ
    Sponsor

May 23, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joe Sackey
    Agreed.

Next they'll be saying that about Mayweather too.

Wait, they already have :)

10. joe sackey

Sponsor

May 23, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joe Sackey
    Pap I think you're getting carried away with the GGG hype, like most here.

Muscles are good, but in boxing they wont stop you from getting knocked out, which is exactly whats likely to happen to GGG unless he improves his defensive skills.

11. nsxrebel

nsxrebel Formula 3

Jan 8, 2004
    Only Mayweather has faced top contenders to defend his titles, heck, he even faced Canelo, yet Cotto is ducking him. Either way, Cotto won't be holding on to that lineal championship much longer.

12. BULL RUN

BULL RUN Formula 3

Dec 18, 2004
    Watching that video, Miguel thinks he's Mayweather now, trying to dictate terms. He's in no position. He needs to get off that high horse.

13. nsxrebel

nsxrebel Formula 3

Jan 8, 2004
    Thank you.

14. Graz

Graz Formula 3

Oct 15, 2012
    New Jersey and Florida
    Full Name:
    Graziano
    So true. Cotto claims GGG hasn't fought grade A fighters and that Geale is next in line. He can't possibly believe anybody is buying that line of BS. You can say what you want about Mayweather but he walks the walk and doesn't owe explanations to anyone.

15. PAP 348

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 10, 2005
    Mount Isa, Australia
    Full Name:
    Pap
    Awesome!! Thanks mate, I only just found out about him after I saw him beat Donaire to a pulp. :eek:

Totally forgot about him, but will try and catch his next fight online as they definitely will not show it here. :)

Kinda hoping Geale has a win being an Aussie and all. :eek:

But we will see what happens, I think Geale will put up a good fight to Cotto.

+1

Lol, I saw that the other day on Facebook. :p

Good ol Choc can't keep his mouth shut as usual. :p

I was only joking Joe. :eek:

GGG wouldn't KO Klitschko and it takes more than muscle to win a boxing match. :D

But thanks for keeping me in line. :p

16. joe sackey

Sponsor

May 23, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joe Sackey
    6-times World Champion Sugar Ray Leonard told me GGG better watch out, I'm just repeating what he said :) after all, what do I know?

17. joe sackey

Sponsor

May 23, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joe Sackey
    #1317 joe sackey, Jun 4, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Absolutely.

Who alive has his record? Nobody.

He stands alone, absolutely peerless.

Like him or loathe him (the latter pathetically futile IMO and more a reflection of the loather more than anything else), his accomplishments are unparalleled today, and he has beaten the best.

What the whiners & bashers forget is the fact that a win is a win, a W is a W, and you cant tell the man how he is supposed to go about getting his W to make you happy! Mayweather is deadly capable of a knockout if the match-up and fighting styles warrant it. Not every fight must be exciting, and not every fight should end with a knockout, the latter notion the biggest load or crock I ever heard in sports (no matter who said it).

If people want to say he "runs" and he "hugs" then perhaps they should remember that he learned from the best we ever saw (below), and at least Mayweather can say he runs & hugs better than anyone else!
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

18. joe sackey

Sponsor

May 23, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joe Sackey
    I recently read this telling piece, and in IMO, those who think defensive fighting is not a core part of skilled Boxing and that the only interesting fights are slug-fests, should be watching fights that take place inside a cage:

"If you've watched Muhammad Ali's early fights he used to move a lot around the ring. He would dance around light on his feet and pick his shots to gradually wear you down. He liked to pepper his opponents with jabs, step back to counter, occasionally threw straight punches, left hooks, and never hesitates to knock out an opponent if and when the opportunity arises usually in the later rounds but he was always cautious never to force it. Boxing in circles (such as GGG does) is a style which exposes a fighter with suspect fundamentals. It tires you out and makes you commit mistakes out of frustration, and leaves you open to counter punches if you overreach to your moving target. There's also a tendency of being caught off balance while throwing a punch yourself as you move forward.
    The efficacy of an evasive style may be negated if one is able to counter it by effectively "cutting the ring" usually to trap you in a corner or against the ropes to force a fight. It is therefore imperative that a practitioner has enough endurance and leg strength to sustain this approach. Ali was a very smart fighter and an impeccable ring-general, thus coined the phrase "Float like a butterfly, sting like a bee." This is not as easy as it seems and requires great anticipation when timing & evading incoming punches from various angles, however it affords you an advantage of being able to control the pace of the match and maintain proper distance like a Matador to a bull, a strategy which many misinterpret as "running" and "cowardice" as when Floyd Mayweather Jr. fought Manny Pacquiao."

19. PAP 348

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 10, 2005
    Mount Isa, Australia
    Full Name:
    Pap
    Lol, don't worry.............you, Sugar and the rest of us know what will happen if he doesn't pick up his defensive game. :D

20. lcworld

lcworld Formula Junior

Dec 25, 2013
    Cotto was a warrior before but you should hear what the guys are calling him now on another boxing website... la Puta grande, diva, beach, chicken, joke, clown...

21. lcworld

lcworld Formula Junior

Dec 25, 2013
    Ali is a Pacquiao fan and not a fan of Mayweather.

22. joe sackey

Sponsor

May 23, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joe Sackey
    #1322 joe sackey, Jun 4, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Ali tell you that himself? Don't believe everything you read on the internet.

Meanwhile here is a pic of the 6-time World Champion Sugar Ray Leonard and yours truly from a couple weeks ago.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

23. PAP 348

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 10, 2005
    Mount Isa, Australia
    Full Name:
    Pap
    Great pic Joe. :)

I reckon you could take the champ! ;)

24. Graz

Graz Formula 3

Oct 15, 2012
    New Jersey and Florida
    Full Name:
    Graziano
    What a great photo. Sugar Ray was an remains a class act.

25. joe sackey

Sponsor

May 23, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joe Sackey
    Absolutely!