LM 002 thread

Discussion in 'LamborghiniChat.com' started by Marcello, Dec 5, 2008.

1. I have started the new week 1 FerrariChat Update poll, please vote... http://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/threads/ferrarichat-com-update-week-1-poll.560487/
  1. derekfc

derekfc Karting

Oct 28, 2014
    that thing looks like a monster. you need a cheetah with a spike collar in the passenger seat everywhere you go

2. Spyder-Man

Spyder-Man Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

May 11, 2004
    UK
    Full Name:
    Rob
    Loving that. More pictures please!

3. S_AGATA

S_AGATA Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 24, 2016
    Mill Valley CA
    Full Name:
    Jon/Sean Sohaei
    Thanks everyone. I'll post some more pictures when the weather clears up. Pouring at the moment!

4. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    Funny. I thought California just decided not to have rain anymore. How are the mud slides?

5. S_AGATA

S_AGATA Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 24, 2016
    Mill Valley CA
    Full Name:
    Jon/Sean Sohaei
    A couple roads on MT Tam were closed but no accidents etc. The rain comes and goes. Starting to just drizzle now. Did you get the VINs? Sorry it took a while.

6. hashiriya

hashiriya Formula Junior

Feb 26, 2010
    Looking great!
    Why is the radiator so bright? They were black from the factory, only A/C radiator in front of the main rad had unpainted aluminum foil.

7. Tired of seeing this ad? Upgrade now
  8. BlueBiturbo

BlueBiturbo F1 Rookie

May 19, 2004
    Jakarta
    Full Name:
    TS
    Looks like a custom radiator.
    Amazing restoration

9. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    Yes I did

Thanks

10. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    A/C condenser is behind the right headlight. The one in front of the radiator is the P/S cooler if memory serves.

In that picture you can really tell how big the radiator is.

11. S_AGATA

S_AGATA Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 24, 2016
    Mill Valley CA
    Full Name:
    Jon/Sean Sohaei
    Thanks and yes it's a custom radiator. I had the original one reconditioned and set aside. The clutch fan has also been deleted and some electric fans sit behind the radiatior now. They continue to run after the car's off until it returns to temp. I'll include some photos of the setup soon. It actually looks pretty period.

12. Sledge4.2

Sledge4.2 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 19, 2007
    Marin
    Full Name:
    Geno
    Who is doing the work? Looks great

13. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    Yours had a clutch fan? Of all the LM's I have worked on I never saw a clutch fan, only the direct drive big cast aluminum piece.

14. Tired of seeing this ad? Upgrade now
  15. S_AGATA

S_AGATA Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 24, 2016
    Mill Valley CA
    Full Name:
    Jon/Sean Sohaei
    #113 S_AGATA, Feb 5, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 5, 2017
    No you're correct (force of habit "saying clutch fan"). Just a solid piece but it's now removed.

16. S_AGATA

S_AGATA Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 24, 2016
    Mill Valley CA
    Full Name:
    Jon/Sean Sohaei
    #114 S_AGATA, Feb 5, 2017
    I've done a lot of the work myself over the years. For some of the more fine tuned things I've had help from a shop Valtellina Automobili, which used to be in Sausalito.

Currently I'm trying to compile all of the photos of the restoration. Once they're all together I'll post.

Also important edit- My close friend Fabio Cocchio who was a Diablo GTR mechanic during Lamborghini days helped with a lot of the work. He's now the Chief Mechanic at AF Corsa for their GT2/3 teams.

I set the old interior aside and Vallentino sourced new leather for the whole interior from the factory. He's been a great help to me as well.

Had to make sure I include everyone

17. Sledge4.2

Sledge4.2 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 19, 2007
    Marin
    Full Name:
    Geno
    Would love to see pictures, and I live in Kentfield, so would like to see the truck or any part thereof in person. Where did Rico go?

18. S_AGATA

S_AGATA Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 24, 2016
    Mill Valley CA
    Full Name:
    Jon/Sean Sohaei
    Oh thats awesome. He moved up to Sonoma, not far from downtown. I took him some CT parts this weekend actually. I just got to Brazil yesterday but when I get back and the weathers nice I'd be happy to show the car.

19. S_AGATA

S_AGATA Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 24, 2016
    Mill Valley CA
    Full Name:
    Jon/Sean Sohaei
    #117 S_AGATA, Feb 5, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Just a cool side note. These wheels are the same wheels off the hill climb car. Don't plan on putting them on the Euro LM but they're cool to have. - From Lamborghini USA Jacksonville.

They were red before.
    Sorry for the bad photos. All that's on my phone.
    IMG_8726.jpg
    IMG_8724.jpg
    IMG_8723.jpg

20. BlueBiturbo

BlueBiturbo F1 Rookie

May 19, 2004
    Jakarta
    Full Name:
    TS
    I have tried twin electric fans 12 inches but they are not enough on Jakarta traffic so I decided to go back to the original direct drive fan setup.

21. S_AGATA

S_AGATA Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 24, 2016
    Mill Valley CA
    Full Name:
    Jon/Sean Sohaei
    Haha so far so good but I haven't driven the car enough yet to know for certain how it'll behave. Good to know though, I'll keep an eye out.

22. BlueBiturbo

BlueBiturbo F1 Rookie

May 19, 2004
    Jakarta
    Full Name:
    TS
    #120 BlueBiturbo, Feb 5, 2017
    Actually I have tried three different setups. A BMW fan clutch with BMW blades, twin electronic fans with fan shroud, aaaand finally back to the original OEM direct shaft.

Test which one is the best option for you. Enjoy Your LM. Please post lots or pics :)

23. nickinafrica

nickinafrica Karting

Oct 10, 2013
    Spain
    Full Name:
    Nick Petty
    I only have the two electric fans in front of the radiator, no engine driven fan, I would like a clutch drive one and looked at the one on the BMW 740 E38, this is a single screw on unit, not the four bolt fitting method on the LM, I considered modifying it, but was concerned about the balance issue & having the fan coming through the bonnet at 7000rpm, any ideas!!!!

24. hashiriya

hashiriya Formula Junior

Feb 26, 2010
    Sorry, I hadn't meantioned that DD and FI radiator setups are completely different.
    On DD LM you have a medium sized A/C condenser - designed to help the one behind the headlamp.
    On FI LM you have a big A/C condenser basically the same size as the water radiator (or close enough). Also it's got twin fans in front of the central condenser unit.
    Actually, I've never serviced a FI LM with my hands, but that's what I noticed.

Not sure if P/S radiator exists (don't remember), but you have a lot of Setrab radiators below the frame bulk in the front. There's surely the one for a transfer case, and the other might be for P/S. I would rather add another one - to cool the gearbox. There's a whole lot of heat while driving this car! It gets bloody hot.

25. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    There must be some differences for different markets because while we own a FI truck I have worked on many carbureted trucks and I don't recall any with an A/C condenser as you described. The US trucks have 2 large electric cooling fans set at different coolant temps occupying that space. There is also a transmission cooler right next to a transfer case cooler. The only items not cooled are the differentials. I have a number of underhood photos on my computer at home. I will have to look for the design you describe.

26. BlueBiturbo

BlueBiturbo F1 Rookie

May 19, 2004
    Jakarta
    Full Name:
    TS
    #124 BlueBiturbo, Feb 7, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 7, 2017
    Mine is a RHD FI. The front radiator is L-shaped, AC condenser behind right headlights, too small and I added more in front of the grile. Engine oil cooler sits behind the left headlights. I don't remember about the gearbox and the transfer case cooler.

27. BlueBiturbo

BlueBiturbo F1 Rookie

May 19, 2004
    Jakarta
    Full Name:
    TS
    #125 BlueBiturbo, Feb 7, 2017
    OK my mechanic told me three small coolers below the water radiator, one for power steering, one for gearbox and one for transfer case.

The first pic below is my strangely shaped radiator. The second pic shows the additional AC condenser in front of the radiator.
    IMG_20150213_094855.jpg
    IMG_20160330_152623.jpg

28. hashiriya

hashiriya Formula Junior

Feb 26, 2010
  29. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    #127 Rifledriver, Feb 7, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 7, 2017
    On any LM I have worked on, carb or FI the electric cooling fans take up the entire space between the radiator and grill. There is no space left for an A/C condenser.

The fans move so much air it drowns out the radio. I rewired them so they only come on at 100c or above. They almost never run that way.

Every cooled transmission I have ever worked on had an internal pump for pressurized oiling and used that to move oil to the cooler.

30. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall

Did you make that radiator? Have never seen that design.

31. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    Our PS cooler is behind the left headlight and the trans and transfer coolers are together down below.

32. S_AGATA

S_AGATA Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 24, 2016
    Mill Valley CA
    Full Name:
    Jon/Sean Sohaei
    #130 S_AGATA, Feb 7, 2017
    These photos are from a few months back. You can kind of see the fan setup sitting right behind the radiator. There are two Bosch relays in the center and the housing is wrinkle coated black.
    14054157_1053169218123947_8344055832229920901_n.jpg
    unnamed.jpg

33. hashiriya

hashiriya Formula Junior

Feb 26, 2010
    The RHD radiator setup was done by Prodrive.
    It's weird because they had used the normal LHD steering box, which sits on the left hand side of the left frame rail.
    So now they had it on the left hand side of the right frame rail. So it was only possible with a weird radiator.

BTW, I was happy with a fixed fan setup. Although it eats some HP, overheating was never ever an issue, once I tuned the carbs.
    Usually I had about 85c, summer traffic jams were landing me in 90c zone.

34. BlueBiturbo

BlueBiturbo F1 Rookie

May 19, 2004
    Jakarta
    Full Name:
    TS

That ia a copy of the original. My car along with the chassis 234 was converted to RHD by Prodrive UK. The weird shape is necessary due to the RHD steering mechanism.

35. BlueBiturbo

BlueBiturbo F1 Rookie

May 19, 2004
    Jakarta
    Full Name:
    TS
    From the picture it looks like Your car only has twin puller fans. There is no pusher fans from the front of the radiator.

Mine has twin pusher fans on the front and a mechanical puller fan directly driven by the engine shaft. My first pusher fans started at 85 deg Celsius and the second one at 90 degree Celsius.

36. S_AGATA

S_AGATA Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 24, 2016
    Mill Valley CA
    Full Name:
    Jon/Sean Sohaei
    Correct. If it doesn't hold up I may try something else but worse case scenario I'll just put the original fan back on. I like the look of the radiator in the front but pusher fans are probably a good idea.

37. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    I thought yours was 234.

38. BlueBiturbo

BlueBiturbo F1 Rookie

May 19, 2004
    Jakarta
    Full Name:
    TS
    My mistake. I meant 301. Mine is 234

39. Mr Mezzanotte

Mr Mezzanotte Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 22, 2006
    UK
    #137 Mr Mezzanotte, Feb 21, 2017
    A few old photos I found, This was Portman's demonstrator at the time, at their service centre in London, GB.
    1988 Portman Lamborghini 01.jpg
    1988 Portman Lamborghini 03.jpg
    1988 Portman Lamborghini 04.jpg

40. hashiriya

hashiriya Formula Junior

Feb 26, 2010
    So here are the news.
    The part #27 dubbed as Spacer is a viscous coupling inside the transfer case.
    However, I'm 99% sure that in most cases it's already dead there, i.e. locking too soon and hard. So that's why you shouldn't run 4x4 mode unless sure that the viscous coupling properly slips and locks. I haven't found a certain test procedure yet.
    In 99% you should change the fluid in the viscous coupling before engagement on roads. So every LM002 should opt for a transfer case rebuilding these days, as 30 years passed, and all these years the silicon fluid spent inside a case full of hot transmission oil.
    As I've heard people do break the transfer cases, and that might be the reason.

41. LNtoast

LNtoast Karting

Jul 11, 2013
    Does anyone have details/VIN of the Green LM002 at Amelia this year?

The paint reminded me of Malcom Forbes "money green" Countach (paint was also on several of his other cars).

42. sultan722

sultan722 Rookie

Nov 26, 2016
    Hey guys, I'm trying to replace my LM002 clutch, any Ideas.

My clutch recently got burned, the car cannot be put in gear, even though i give it throttle it wouldn't move.

What should I do, and where can I get a clutch?

43. hashiriya

hashiriya Formula Junior

Feb 26, 2010
    Sounds strange!
    You mean, you can't put it in gear with the clutch pedal fully pressed? If so, would it start in gear? At firtst, it sounds like clutch cylinder problem more than actual clutch.

You can get a clutch at your local Lamborghini dealer or eBay (some people have NOS clutches).

44. hashiriya

hashiriya Formula Junior

Feb 26, 2010
    Recently I've bought few Countach 25th anniversary repair manuals and I can now be sure that my distributor was OK.
    The factory timing for L507 4V engine goes from 13 deg. advance at idle to 33 deg. advance at "over 5000" RPM. Which was exactly what I had on the down-draught LM002 with L510 4V engine (basically, identical, with only intake being different).

Whether it's right or wrong, it's a matter of discussion. The car was significantly faster with the wrong timing I've set later on.

45. S_AGATA

S_AGATA Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 24, 2016
    Mill Valley CA
    Full Name:
    Jon/Sean Sohaei
    +1 Did the same thing. Although there are other alterations, JLA12100 pulls much stronger than its stable mate (black LM earlier in thread).

46. S_AGATA

S_AGATA Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 24, 2016
    Mill Valley CA
    Full Name:
    Jon/Sean Sohaei
    #144 S_AGATA, Apr 26, 2017
    Found some crumby before and after pics.
    LM002 (9).jpg
    LM002 (14).jpg

47. Spyder-Man

Spyder-Man Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

May 11, 2004
    UK
    Full Name:
    Rob
  48. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    Just out of curiosity what did you paint the frame with? Was is a custom blend conventional automotive paint?

49. S_AGATA

S_AGATA Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 24, 2016
    Mill Valley CA
    Full Name:
    Jon/Sean Sohaei
    We matched the original color and then had a blend made, correct. Its been a while, I have some stored away with its original interior etc.

50. S_AGATA

S_AGATA Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 24, 2016
    Mill Valley CA
    Full Name:
    Jon/Sean Sohaei
    Hard to find accurate reviews of the LM. Even Jay Leno's was littered with false info - not saying he's not a great guy.

Cool Period review

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u2jth2ppbuY[/ame]

51. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    It was pretty good except for the Kevlar tire comment. I don't understand why everyone needs to attach some fable to the tires. They are Nylon just like every other heavy duty tire. The difference is DuPont owns the name Nylon so they called it by its scientific name Polyamid.

The guy showing the car in Jay Lenos Garage didn't know squat about them.

52. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    I was wondering if you had found some industrial coating in the right color or if it was just paint. It looks good.