Locked cars drain battery less. True? | FerrariChat

Locked cars drain battery less. True?

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by abstamaria, Aug 5, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. abstamaria

abstamaria F1 Rookie

Feb 11, 2006
    Full Name:
    Andres
    There is a popular notion that locking a car will drain the battery less than keeping it unlocked. In fact, some dealers give that advice. Is there technical basis for that? I prefer to keep my car unlocked in the garage.

2. smg2

smg2 F1 World Champ
    Sponsor

Apr 1, 2004
    Dumpster Fire #31
    Full Name:
    SMG
    Only thing I can think of is that the alarm system is active with the doors locked and thus there will be a current draw, probably in the milli or micro watts (mW, uW) though.

Inside your own garage more then likely doesn't need to be locked, I don't know of anyone myself who locks their vehicles inside the garage. Outside of that I'd surmise that the insurance companies have a clause about locking it in public spaces vs not.

3. dm_n_stuff

dm_n_stuff Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Given the propensity for Ferrari's to drain their batteries while they sit, I think the LAST thing you want to do is park it in your garage locked.

there's nothing more fun than trying to get into some of the newer ferraris with a dead battery. As I recall, my 360 did not have an external lock on the doors, and would only open with the key FOB.

D

4. Andy 355

Andy 355 Formula Junior

Jun 2, 2013
    Sydney
    A lot of modern cars ecu's stay active when the vehicle is unlocked, drawing current. When locked, certain ecu's don't draw current, thus the drain is less when locked. You can easily check it yourself with a mulimeter on the battery to measure current draw.

5. WJHMH

WJHMH Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 5, 2001
    Panther City, Texas
    Full Name:
    WJHMH
    That's the first to hear this.

6. abstamaria

abstamaria F1 Rookie

Feb 11, 2006
    Full Name:
    Andres
    This was new to me, too. I picked up a new car last week and was told to lock it, even in the garage. I did some research before posting here, and Andy 355's comment seems the rationale. It makes sense. Also, someone suggested that some systems go to sleep faster when the car is locked.

The issue is discussed also in the Porsche and Lamborghini forums.

I truly don't know what to believe.

Andres

7. Doctor Mark

Doctor Mark Formula Junior

Dec 15, 2005
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Mark Gronsbell
    My advice is to leave it unlocked and with the charger attached (if not driven daily). If the battery goes dead and it is locked it could be impossible to get into the car.

8. dflett

dflett Formula 3

Jun 24, 2005
    NY
    Full Name:
    David
    Depends on the car I would think.

However, if you are going to lock the car and leave it, find out beforehand how to get to the battery or jump terminals with the power off.

A big potential issue with my M3 is that the transmission will not shift into neutral (to maneuver the car) unless the car is fully powered and the transmission ECU is fault free or you want to start taking the transmission apart by the side of the road. Presumably F1 transmissions are similar.

9. f355spider

f355spider F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA
    Whether it had a lock or not, if the battery is dead on a 360, the window will not roll down to open the door, which would be a problem too...

10. tbakowsky

tbakowsky F1 World Champ
    Consultant Professional Ferrari Technician

Sep 18, 2002
    The Cold North
    Full Name:
    Tom
    nothing new here. However, locked or unlocked should not make a difference. The car should "sleep" after 20 minutes or so. If not, then there is an issue.

11. abstamaria

abstamaria F1 Rookie

Feb 11, 2006
    Full Name:
    Andres
    Many thanks, guys. I've googled and very little turns up, so the this may be an urban myth. Anyway, I will keep the car unlocked and will trickle charge every week or so.

12. djantlive

djantlive Formula 3

Jun 30, 2005
    My 911 does go into sleep mode quicker when door is locked. After 10 days or so, the car remote stops working to save battery even more. In your own garage, if the car is driven at least once a week, you don't need to lock it. If it isn't driven much, I would get a tender. If you park it for weeks at a public lock, you'd lock it anyways and that would minimize battery draw.

It isn't an urban legend.

13. abstamaria

abstamaria F1 Rookie

Feb 11, 2006
    Full Name:
    Andres
    Thanks, djantlive. I've had a 458 for some time and have left it unlocked. I do charge once a week, as the manual recommends, if the car isn;t used. I picked up a Huracan last week, which was when I first heard the recommendation to lock the car to save the battery. I will will put the Huracan on a DMAX charger once weekly as well.

What surprises me, however, is that there's nothing on the web and nothing in owner's manuals that officially says locking the car will reduce battery drain.

Thanks, again.

Andres

14. Andy 355

Andy 355 Formula Junior

Jun 2, 2013
    Sydney
    It is not a myth. I've had different makes and models towed in with this issue, especially when the battery has been run down low many times. The 1st question i ask is if the car is in the garage unlocked. Connect the multimeter and test for current draw. Re test when locked and watch the reading over a few days vs unlocked. Saab, when the battery voltage is below what the ecu thinks is acceptable, will disable the starter until voltage is restored, even though the voltage in the battery may be enough to start an older vehicle. Such are the perils of progress.

15. Michael Foreman

Jul 11, 2017
    Northeast PA
    Full Name:
    Michael Foreman
    -depends on the vehicle
    -aftermarket alarms and head units etc can play a factor

In general, you don't want to leave a key in the ignition or a keyless fob in or close to the car. The difference between locked and unlocked should almost be immeasurable in the grand scheme. Consistent battery tending and security would be the deciding factors for me.

16. 360Marnix

360Marnix Formula Junior

Jan 4, 2017
    Holland
    My car is locked in the garage. And the battery tender is connected. Even with the tender connected, you can close the doors. I think this is the best way to park it.

Verzonden vanaf mijn iPhone met Tapatalk

17. Jdubbya

Jdubbya The $10 Trillion Man
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2003
    PNW
    Full Name:
    John
    Not sure about when it's parked for long term but there could be a slight difference when first parked. I know on my Cayenne all the interior lights stay on for something like 30 seconds even after shutting the door. But they turn right off if I lock it.

18. 360+Volt=Prius

360+Volt=Prius Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 1, 2013
    Western Mass
    Full Name:
    Raimondo

Best reason not to.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

19. abstamaria

abstamaria F1 Rookie

Feb 11, 2006
    Full Name:
    Andres
    Indeed. I decided to keep my new car unlocked, as has been my practice.

Many thanks, all.

Andres

20. abstamaria

abstamaria F1 Rookie

Feb 11, 2006
    Full Name:
    Andres
    #20 abstamaria, Sep 6, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    The Huracan doesn't have a charging port, unlike the Italia. (The Huracan has a power outlet in the trunk compartment, but it comes unactivated from the factory - strange.) As its battery is in the front trunk or boot, one has to keep the lid open while charging. I don't think one can run an electric cord through a closed boot lid. On the Italia, the cord can run through the bottom of a closed door.

In any event, simply on the basis that an unlocked car will will be easier to deal with if the battery dies, I have not been locking the doors.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

21. Schatten

Schatten F1 World Champ
    Owner

Apr 3, 2001
    Austin, TX
    Full Name:
    Randy
    Run the cable out the top of the frunk. You can even place the quick disconnect just outside the frunk and keep it closed. The cable will compress around the weather stripping, but not enough to deform it. Been a while but that's my vague memory on these. We've had a few in the garage.

22. abstamaria

abstamaria F1 Rookie

Feb 11, 2006
    Full Name:
    Andres
    Thank you, Schatten. I'll look into that.