Looking photos/info about the 330 GT LeMans Pace Car | FerrariChat

Looking photos/info about the 330 GT LeMans Pace Car

Discussion in 'Vintage (thru 365 GTC4)' started by peterp, Aug 12, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. peterp

peterp F1 Veteran

Aug 31, 2002
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Peter
    I've read that a 330 GT was the pace car for LeMans (in 1967?), but have never seen any photos of the car, nor have I seen any reference to the serial number. Assuming there actually was a 330 GT pace car, does anybody have any information about it or have any photos of that car?

2. Smiles

Smiles F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 20, 2003
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Full Name:
    Matt F
    Amazing, Wayne.

Do we have a serial number?

Matt

3. peterp

peterp F1 Veteran

Aug 31, 2002
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Peter
    Amazing photos Wayne! The first one is going to be my new screensaver.

It's interesting where they mounted the mirror. The 330 GTs didn't come with an outside mirror, but they were often added by dealers when new on customer request. I wonder if the factory felt they should be mounted on the fender or if that position just worked best for pace car duties.

I'm also curious about the SN. BBR did a model of this 1967 pace car, but (somewhat oddly) they didn't note the serial number: BBR-MODELS CAR13LB Scale 1/43 | FERRARI 330 GT 24h LE MANS 1967 PACE CAR BLACK

4. El Wayne

El Wayne F1 World Champ
    Staff Member Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 1, 2002
    San Marino, CA
    Full Name:
    L. Wayne Ausbrooks
    Sorry, but I don't have a serial number. Even the great Kerry Chesbro still has this car on his list of unknowns.

As far as the BBR model goes:

1) It was used at Le Mans in 1966, not 1967.
    2) It's difficult to be sure from the photographs, but I think the car may have been dark green/tan and not black/tan - possibly even the same shade of "verde speciale" used on Enzo's 4963.
    3) Needs license plates.

5. peterp

peterp F1 Veteran

Aug 31, 2002
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Peter
    It's quite the mystery if Kerry doesn't know. It seems like it would need to be somewhere in the range between 7553 (SN when fuel filler was moved to left hand side - Production Changes) and about 8571 to have been built before June 1966 (Production Order).

6. peterp

peterp F1 Veteran

Aug 31, 2002
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Peter
    Resurrecting this thread after noticing that the pace car (in picture 1) has what looks like an external (presumably aluminum) "race style" gas filler instead of the standard flush body color fuel cap/door. If there is a 330 GT out there with this modified gas cap, it seems likely that it is the Le Mans pace car (especially if it is between SN 7553 and 8571).

7. ArtS

ArtS F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 11, 2003
    Central NJ
    Peter, it's unpainted like mine. Mine also had holes in the bumper for the fog lights but my mirror is in the wrong place... Oh well :)

Regards,

Art S.

8. Pierre Coquet

Pierre Coquet Rookie

Mar 3, 2005
    F - 21340 Baubigny
    Full Name:
    Pierre Coquet
    I suggest #7557.
    Verde scuro 19394, Salon de Paris Oct. 7-16 1965, new to Franco Britannic Automobiles (The French importer), demonstration car of Franco Britannic Automobiles during the whole 1966 year.
    Best regards
    Pierre

9. peterp

peterp F1 Veteran

Aug 31, 2002
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Peter
    #10 peterp, May 9, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Solved!!! Case closed. Congrats Art!!!

Oh wait, it looks like you may have been dethroned Art.

This seems like a match given it's early history as the show car. Can't quite tell from the photo whether it has silver/unpainted gas cap here (S/N 7557 Detail)

There is another photo of it below (from the "Ferraris at Motor Shows" thread).

Was an unpainted gas cap a thing from the factory? Don't recall seeing that before.

One way to find most of the green 330's is to use google "verde site:330gt.com" -- seems like it must be Verde Scuro or Verde Speciale -- Verde Pino and Verde Medio are too light. The google search isn't perfect unfortunately - 7557 doesn't show up in the results even though its tagged as Verde Scuro.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login