Looking to reproduce Dino Door Pockets | Page 4 | FerrariChat

Looking to reproduce Dino Door Pockets

Discussion in '206/246' started by rosemeyer, Nov 29, 2010.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. dinogtss

dinogtss Karting

Jul 14, 2013
    Hi

Hows the repro pockets going?

2. Verell

Verell F1 Veteran
    Consultant Owner

May 5, 2001
    Groton, MA
    Full Name:
    Verell Boaen
    Actively worked on the mold last week. Hope to make the1st test part by Halloween!

3. champtc

champtc Formula Junior

Apr 18, 2004
    I was going to ask how it was going…been a while….

4. synchro

synchro F1 Veteran

Feb 14, 2005
    CHNDLR
    Full Name:
    Scott
  5. tx246

tx246 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 4, 2003
    Texas
    Full Name:
    Shawn
    There is so much to question, but the general look is better than others I have seen in the repro world. For the price, it looks like a bargain was had.

Shawn

6. Verell

Verell F1 Veteran
    Consultant Owner

May 5, 2001
    Groton, MA
    Full Name:
    Verell Boaen
    I've been trimming excess silicone from the 1st half of the mold this afternoon, getting ready to pour the 2nd half late this week or this weekend.

Wanted to do it during my 'holiday shutdown', but between going into it with a multi week queue of promised work & lots of family activities I just couldn't get to it.

7. synchro

synchro F1 Veteran

Feb 14, 2005
    CHNDLR
    Full Name:
    Scott
    Excellent, any pics?

8. champtc

champtc Formula Junior

Apr 18, 2004
    Verell-
    I think we have been waiting nearly five years on these door pockets. Sadly, my car is not finished yet - but do you think it will be ten before you get these done? I have not been in a hurry but five years is a long time….

9. Verell

Verell F1 Veteran
    Consultant Owner

May 5, 2001
    Groton, MA
    Full Name:
    Verell Boaen
    I agree, it's embarrassingly long. No, it won't take 5 more, honest!

I now have someone working for me 2 days/week which is freeing me up to spend time on new molds including the door pocket.

10. synchro

synchro F1 Veteran

Feb 14, 2005
    CHNDLR
    Full Name:
    Scott
    Any updates?

11. champtc

champtc Formula Junior

Apr 18, 2004
    i like you anyway!

12. synchro

synchro F1 Veteran

Feb 14, 2005
    CHNDLR
    Full Name:
    Scott
    I know!

13. h22gordo

h22gordo Formula Junior

May 24, 2004
    So. Cal.
    Full Name:
    Gordan
    Also curious as to whatever happened to the manufacturing of these pockets.
    PM sent to Verell.

14. tx246

tx246 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 4, 2003
    Texas
    Full Name:
    Shawn
    Nothing against Verell, but these are not easy to get done and look right.

Shawn

15. GermanDino

GermanDino F1 Rookie

Aug 14, 2007
    Germany
    Full Name:
    Matthias
  16. npwmd2

npwmd2 Karting

Mar 31, 2015
    Hudson Valley
    Full Name:
    Neal
    Matthias, I have been talking to AJ and he tells me anyday now on the pockets including the metal strip.

17. h22gordo

h22gordo Formula Junior

May 24, 2004
    So. Cal.
    Full Name:
    Gordan
    I will click off an email to AJ and ask.
    Thank you gentlemen.

18. Watsonvg

Watsonvg Rookie

Aug 10, 2013
    Milan
    Full Name:
    Flavio
    If I can give my testimony, I have my 01944 since 1972 and it came without any metal strip on the door pockets. So as all other Dino I saw at that time.

The pockets were the same of the Fiat 500, just the same, and for this reason many Dino owners, like me, tried to disguise the similarity with the addition of chrome strips. But the original pockets were without any strip. Sure.

If someone needs, I can post the address where you can buy the pockets for a few Euro.

19. npwmd2

npwmd2 Karting

Mar 31, 2015
    Hudson Valley
    Full Name:
    Neal
    Where does one get the strip from?

20. Verell

Verell F1 Veteran
    Consultant Owner

May 5, 2001
    Groton, MA
    Full Name:
    Verell Boaen
    Thats for sure, I'm on my 3rd mold iteration. It's not easy making a big piece like this.

I have the mold half for the box's interior made & need more silicone to make the mold for the exterior. I am awaiting a shipment of silicone that is scheduled for delivery the end of this month. A tad frustrating as I ordered it back in October so I'd have it so I could finish the mold during the December slack period.

I have located a supplier to make the metal trim, I should have a sample in a few days.

21. Watsonvg

Watsonvg Rookie

Aug 10, 2013
    Milan
    Full Name:
    Flavio
    try searching on the web 'Adhesive chrome tape or strip' .

22. Nuvolari

Nuvolari F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 3, 2002
    Toronto / SoCal
    Full Name:
    Rob C.
    I'm sorry but I have to disagree. I have studied enough period photos and original cars to be quite certain that the metal strip was there from factory. Even look at the M Series owners manual and the metal strips are clear to see in the interior photos. The pockets began with a metal strip and somewhere later in production a small rectangular additional fixing was added half way along the pocket. This makes sense because the original strip was only held in at the extreme edges with one tiny tack nail per side (the strip had a tiny hole in it at each end) and it was very common for them to fall out which could explain why your car did not have it even as early as 1972. It is a terrible design.

As for the pocket you are correct that the pocket itself is identical (except for the metal strip) to those used in Fiat 500's of the era. Having restored a Fiat 500 myself I can say that those original pockets are almost impossible to find in good condition and the new manufacture ones (that are readily available and cheap) are similar in shape but different in many critical details. I can immediately spot a reproduction pocket and when it is on a Dino it points to poor research on the part of the restorer.

Regarding the metal strip, it is itself a little piece of art that is not easy to duplicate nor is it readily available. Originally the strip is actually a nickel (not chrome) plated spring that is shaped like a wave with a large hump in the middle. It is not flat but rather a half circle in profile where the rounded side fits in a groove on the door pocket. This strip then is held in place under a spring tension and fixed with a tiny tack on each end that goes into the pocket on the backside (that is hidden by the door panel when installed). If you are crazy observant and picky the flat visible face of the strip most often has residual marks from the manufacturing process that look exactly like those made by a fly cutter on a milling machine.

Trust me when I say that if it were so easy we would not be waiting so many years for reproductions. The devil is very much in the details.

23. tx246

tx246 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 4, 2003
    Texas
    Full Name:
    Shawn
    Flavio,

I think you might need to take a look at vintage pictures and might be remembering having a conversation instead of actually doing this.

I don't mean to be disrespectful, but unless you or a couple friends worked at Ferrari and got creative, this part of the door pocket was present when the factory installed them.

Shawn

24. GermanDino

GermanDino F1 Rookie

Aug 14, 2007
    Germany
    Full Name:
    Matthias
    correct... came always with metal strip from the factory... the Fiat 500 pockets are similar but not the same...

25. champtc

champtc Formula Junior

Apr 18, 2004
    I need these as well for my '71 ...been waiting literally for years. If you guys get something going count me in as a buyer for a pair. Thanks