Lowering Spring Perches | FerrariChat

Lowering Spring Perches

Discussion in 'Mondial' started by Indyjones, Apr 27, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Indyjones

Indyjones Karting

Jan 28, 2009
    Pacific NW
    Wonder why no company has produced lowering spring perches for the Mondial/3x8. I had something similar on my Viper (there it was the top spring perch/cap which was changed) to lower it 3/4". Was cheap and reversable and kept the stock springs and shocks...and it was really easy to swap out. It gave it the "what it should have looked like from the factory" look. The Mondial could use a 3/4 - 1" drop in the front, but no company seems to have caught on to this idea. Here's a 308 thread with a member doing such a setup. Seems simple enough:

http://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/308-328-sponsored-yellow-compass-group/360494-lowering-308-original-koni-shocks.html

Cheers.

2. PV Dirk

PV Dirk F1 Veteran

Jul 26, 2009
    Ahwatukee, AZ
    I used to taunt my friends in a Testarossa, 348ss, 360's, etc by going up entry ramps, over speed bumps that they could not.

I appreciate people want to modify their cars. I really like the flexibility and drive ability of my car in a wide range of situations.

3. bencollins

bencollins Karting

May 30, 2015
    Whaplode, Lincs, UK
    Full Name:
    Ben Collins
    Interesting alternative to shorter springs.

4. Steve Magnusson

Steve Magnusson Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    30°30'40" N 97°35'41" W (Texas)
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    #4 Steve Magnusson, Apr 27, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Just take the drawing to a machine shop and ask for a quote for the version corresponding to which amount of drop you want (measured at the top of the wheel arch above the wheel axis). A pair shouldn't be more than a couple~few hundred $s. I'm 95% sure that the lower spring perch on a Mondial is the same as a 308 (but please do measure your shock before ordering to confirm/deny), and the suspension geometry will be very similar (if not identical). Here's the drawing again:
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

And here's something that I had put together for another Mondial3.2 Owner, but can't recall if I ever heard back from him/her - so my request to you would be to give some feedback if you do do the project ("no, it can't work on a Mondial because the lower A-arm is different", "everything worked fine", etc.). Although I think I mangled note 2 on the drawing as the thru hole in the perch is 56mm so the shock body diameter would be something like 55mm (I must have misread the dimension for the hole on the drawing as being 58mm when it is 56mm):
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

5. Indyjones

Indyjones Karting

Jan 28, 2009
    Pacific NW
    Very nice technical drawing. I'm still surprised that no company ever produced such a product...there are a lot of 3x8s and Mondials out there.

6. Alden

Alden F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 25, 2010
    Central Florida
    Most 308's I have seen look like they are sitting very high in the front. They really need this mod.

I am happy with the stance on my Mondial and like the fact the I can go over speed bumps and ramps that would scrape if I lowered it.

I hope the "slamming" and "black wheel" fads fade away soon, I am not a fan of that look.
    ALden

7. bencollins

bencollins Karting

May 30, 2015
    Whaplode, Lincs, UK
    Full Name:
    Ben Collins
    IMO wheels should sit in the arc centre of the wheelarch for aesthetic reasons.
    Agree sometimes the more slammed look can be "because race car" and look cool but must ruin the GTness - especially important for a Mondial. I would say the Mondials standard look is a tad high at the front. (also not good for front end lift at speed) But as always in the standard/modified and supposedly upgraded dicotomy trying to keep pace with trends can risk creating a pig-in-lipstick. Anyhoo we all get to set the ride height however we want, plurality always beats repetition.

These drawings you provided are bloody brilliant Mr Magnusson! Thanks.

8. Alden

Alden F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 25, 2010
    Central Florida
    Mine sits about 1/2" high in the front if I leave the full size spare tire out. It doesn't seem like much, but visually it makes a big difference in the stance of the car.
    Alden

9. Indyjones

Indyjones Karting

Jan 28, 2009
    Pacific NW
    I think 3/4" lower up front would be nice...not enough to really effect ground clearance too much and not a "lowered" look. Just to balance it with the rear gap. But I'll probably just keep it as it is for now, since I'm not too keen on first taking everything apart to take some measurements for the new perches, then have them custom made etc. With summer around the corner I don't want to waste time not being able to drive it. Maybe a project for the winter :)

10. skipgt4

skipgt4 Formula Junior

Nov 3, 2003
    GR Michigan
    Full Name:
    Charles VDB
    Could someone confirm that the 308's made for the European market have a lower ride height than those meant for the USA.