Luxury waterfront property in Oakville ! | Page 6 | FerrariChat

Luxury waterfront property in Oakville !

Discussion in 'Canada' started by MS250, Sep 25, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. MS250

MS250 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Dec 10, 2003
    Full Name:
    Avvocato
    Congrats to her, hopeful she has her eyes on something else to ride the wave ...

Yup, the latest numbers are in !

-:: Toronto Real Estate Board ::-

2. FCat360

FCat360 F1 World Champ

Oct 17, 2014
    Radical Purgatory
    Full Name:
    Lam, Blama Lam
    #127 FCat360, May 6, 2016
    Last edited: May 6, 2016
    She bought near Orangeville where the market is normal.

Double the house for a few $ more, and a great school a block away for the kids etc.

Interesting thou is that a house on her street where she just sold was listed and there seems to be no flurry of takers. There were at least 300 groups who looked at her house. Only one winner, so there was a lot of unfulfilled buyers out there a week ago.

3. MS250

Lifetime Rossa

Dec 10, 2003
    Full Name:
    Avvocato
    Seems some pockets may have started out slow, and then picked up steam the last 12 months. My hood isn't much different, though the ones that were listed lower sold Quickly, the newer ones shot up in price and are now sitting.
    Time will tell

4. MS250

Lifetime Rossa

Dec 10, 2003
    Full Name:
    Avvocato
  5. Dirty-Cheech

Dirty-Cheech Rookie

Apr 11, 2016
    Hell, Michigan
    Full Name:
    Itchy Scratchy
    "Supply and demand"

6. 87testa

87testa Formula Junior

Dec 24, 2006
    Toronto, Ontario
    When will the market cool off? It seems like the classic car market has cooled.

7. MS250

Lifetime Rossa

Dec 10, 2003
    Full Name:
    Avvocato
    Building permits report on the news said its down 3%

If the car market is an early indication, it could mean the RE market is next ?

The next 90 days could be an indicator

8. Skyler

Skyler Formula 3

May 31, 2004
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Skyler
    Toronto Is World's Second Hottest Luxury Real Estate Market, Says Christie's International Real

NYC in the making?

9. MS250

Lifetime Rossa

Dec 10, 2003
    Full Name:
    Avvocato
    Not surprised, my neighbor down the street just sold their bungalow. Held offers until this past Tuesday, heard the ridiculous number. And my next door neighbourhood just sold yesterday as well, over list.
    The bigger question is - once they sell, where are they moving too?

10. Fave

Fave F1 Rookie

Aug 12, 2010
    Tarana
    Full Name:
    L. Ike Hunt
    No idea where building permits are down... I don't know of any bored contractors out there.
    But a blip in one large subdivision could show a 3% dip

11. Fave

Fave F1 Rookie

Aug 12, 2010
    Tarana
    Full Name:
    L. Ike Hunt
    A friend's house was appraised at $550 a year and a half ago, listed last week at 600, sold 663. Quite the growth.

Also there are only about 1600 fully detached houses available in the GTA, supply way low.

12. gerritv

gerritv Formula 3

Jun 18, 2001
    St Catharines
    Full Name:
    Gerrit
    Lots of TO escapees moving to Niagara Region, where this move is of course pushing prices up noticeably.
    What is more puzzling is who is buying the houses in TO. When we are earning big bucks I still couldn't imagine going in the hole for a $1M house. Perhaps the newbies don't care about debt load like us oldies did.

13. AceMaster

AceMaster Three Time F1 World Champ

Feb 6, 2009
    Ontario, Canada
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Rick, I hear that a lot retirees that are selling their TO homes are moving to London. They sell their TO homes for $500,000 - $750,000 and buy the same home (or larger) in London for $250,000-$300,000

14. Skyler

Skyler Formula 3

May 31, 2004
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Skyler
    Just a few I came across on my feed from the Toronto Life magazine.

The $1.5-million Hillcrest house that proves not every property sells overnight
    The $810,000 Annex home that proves size doesn't necessarily matter
    The $810,000 house that proves Beach living isn't cheap

15. Zaius

Zaius Formula Junior

May 8, 2014
    #140 Zaius, May 16, 2016
    Last edited: May 16, 2016
    Ponzi finance.

The price of real estate in dollars is directly tied to the amount of debt a bank is willing to create against the property.

For 'price' to increase each new 'buyer' has to take on a greater level of debt.

Obviously anyone with elementary school math can see where this leads. Classic ponzi scheme.

Real estate 'prices' in Toronto have been compounding at rates faster than the wage income needed to support the debt. If the prices are compounding, that also means the debt is compounding, as mentioned before they are directly related.

You now have a situation in Ontario where people are paying upwards of 40-75% of their monthly take home on shelter costs. This means demand is reduced across the board for other consumption. Welcome to debt induced stagnation.

The finance industry is absolutely raping the economy by gobbling greater amounts of surplus value shifting wealth into fewer and fewer hands.

The imbecile Canadian is always behind his equally aloof neighbor the American. It is absolutely incredible to see, how one can repeat the mistakes tit for tat, that lead to the ruin of ones neighbor previously. Better talk about a new kitchen reno or a dumb hockey game instead.

The exorbitant housing cost ends up killing the host economy by completely slowing down family formation. So the logical answer is more immigration as new 'workers' are needed to keep the ponzi going. The side effects do not end there but are visible everywhere, including the 'quality' of home building itself. You literally have communist-inspired monotone and mechanistic formation of 'communities' via the mass production of 'suburbia'. There is nothing more anti-social than spending 2-3 hours a day by yourself in your car, just to head from 1 box to another. People are paying multiples of their income for 'homes' built out out of absolute garbage.

Canada, always the posture child for what a third rate developed country should be.

16. MS250

Lifetime Rossa

Dec 10, 2003
    Full Name:
    Avvocato
    Another record crazy month. The hits keep coming.

Year over year, listings are down, causing price appreciation. You can't call it a bubble if listings are down.

It will be interesting to see how this all plays out once Trump wins the WH - q1 /q2 of 2017 will be interesting for Canada !

-:: Toronto Real Estate Board ::-

17. tbakowsky

tbakowsky F1 World Champ
    Consultant Professional Ferrari Technician

Sep 18, 2002
    The Cold North
    Full Name:
    Tom
    The inventory is low because home owners are not selling due to the price of homes. If they sell, it's very difficult to upgrade to a larger home in the same area, without taking on more debt then you had before. So people are staying put. I'm not going anywhere until I see prices level off.

18. MS250

Lifetime Rossa

Dec 10, 2003
    Full Name:
    Avvocato
    My neighbor across the street did one of those "coming soon" signs on the lawn. Within 4 days he received his price that he was going to list for...... He got stumped, within 36hrs the sign was off the lawn. He told me the story early this week. He was too nervous going through with it because he thought he couldn't find a house to move to. The exact same reason you just mentioned. The kicker .....he listed 125k more on purpose to see, made him second guess everything.

19. gerritv

gerritv Formula 3

Jun 18, 2001
    St Catharines
    Full Name:
    Gerrit
    Seems to me the better way is a) decide you need/want to move, b) find some place or area that meets you new needs/wants, c) sell your present abode ensuring the math makes sense, d) buy the 'new' place perhaps living somewhere else temporarily, e) move and be happy.
    If the move is important to you, then you might even consider going further into debt although IMO less debt is a better reason to move.

20. tbakowsky

tbakowsky F1 World Champ
    Consultant Professional Ferrari Technician

Sep 18, 2002
    The Cold North
    Full Name:
    Tom
    I could get 300k profit right now if I sold. And I have only been here for 4 years. Trouble is everything else as increased the same. I can't upgrade without increasing my debt. I currently owe just over 200k on my home. My monthly is peanuts compared to what I would have to pay if I upgraded to a larger home. It just does not make sense in the current market. Which is why I and many others are staying put. The inventory will only get smaller and prices will to rise as a result. I won't sell for anything less then 600k at the moment. That would give me enough to upgrade and keep my mortgage the same.

21. gerritv

gerritv Formula 3

Jun 18, 2001
    St Catharines
    Full Name:
    Gerrit
    Wise plan. A good question to ask is Do I need a larger house, or do I want a larger house. Debt free living is not to be under-estimated, esp. if you are still working. It provides you with an amazing amount of freedom to make decisions about your quality of life or career changes.

22. Skyler

Skyler Formula 3

May 31, 2004
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Skyler
    As someone looking to transition from a condo to a home it's not the best feeling.
    Great time to be downsizing, not so much the rest of us.

23. MS250

Lifetime Rossa

Dec 10, 2003
    Full Name:
    Avvocato
    I haven't seen anything For sale in the oakville area for a detached home even a bulldozer home for 600 or under, I think you might be selling yourself short Tom.

I was on a property near you last month, I was the 5th registered offer to present. Suffice to say I did not get it, and the offer that did was 70k more than me, and I was already 35k over ask.

Reports will be coming out shortly that RE pricess in the GTA will grow at least 50% over the next 10yrs, bring the average detached house around the 1.6 mark in Toronto, if interest rates stay firm.

I wonder if the Trump express will excelorate that

24. isaydingdong

isaydingdong Formula Junior

Apr 18, 2014
    ny
    Full Name:
    Sy Sperling
    So true

25. 412monzaindy

412monzaindy Formula Junior

Mar 8, 2005
    Ontario Canada
    Full Name:
    PBI
    There is a new listing the next block west of my home on King street in old Oakville.
    It is a home with a huge back yard that will be divided The lot is considered water front, but has a city park walkway between the lot and the lake.
    2.3 or 2.4 for the small home, 3.99 for the lot.
    If you build on the lot you will have to negotiate with the owner of the home, because you will need access. Buy while hot for 6.2.