Mangusta thread | Page 29 | FerrariChat

Mangusta thread

Discussion in 'Other Italian' started by Mang, Jan 10, 2009.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. DenisC

DenisC Formula 3

Oct 11, 2009
    Slow for what, driving cones? This is a GT car (Grand Turismo), comfortable enough that I drove 5 hours to Italian car day last summer, add to that plenty of luggage space. If the steering is too quick and you drive long distance on freeways you end-up weaving; your concentration suffers and your arms get tired

Yes, the dash layout is simple but it works all business and everything is at hand. Ergonomics were not in fashion back then, The driving position is not bad (compared it to many of the US muscle cars of the 60's / 70's I have driven) It takes a some time to learn entry & egress, then establish a driving position. Once done the seat is right, the slightly off center steering & pedals become a non-issue.

2. Mang

Mang F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 11, 2007
    ta HO
    Full Name:
    Mike S.
    #702 Mang, Apr 7, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  3. DenisC

DenisC Formula 3

Oct 11, 2009
    Betcha there are a lot of mixed feelings there!!!!

I feel for ya!

4. velocetwo

velocetwo F1 World Champ

Dec 11, 2006
    Left Coast
    Slow steering is not really a problem, it's a solution to twitchy tight steering cars. Lets face it few italian cars had ergonomics engineered in. So the interior on the Miura just looks better, thats all.

5. velocetwo

velocetwo F1 World Champ

Dec 11, 2006
    Left Coast
    I guess I'm a purist, but the Mangusta should never have had the Jesse James rims. No offense I would' t have sold the car without the gold rims.

All the pantera guys hate me for saying the same thing about their cars. If the non original rims don't bother you why not just put a velveteen interior in, you have to draw the line somewhere.

6. johnei

johnei Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 22, 2006
    Seattle
    Full Name:
    John Wiley
    You need to be a subscriber to read it but apparently a contemporary road test found the Renault sourced rack was too slow. The car wasn't stiff enough, so it would load up and spin, and the rack was apparently too slow to catch it.

http://www.velocetoday.com/detomaso-mangusta/

7. DenisC

DenisC Formula 3

Oct 11, 2009

I am familiar with the original article from SportsCarGraphic Dec'69 (most everything on this car is just rehashed) . They had an early car ( probalbly not thoroughly set-up as very few had been built) and were doing a skidpad test; still managed to get a 0.78g with Dunlop SP 70 profile tires and the car broke away and the driver could not recover.

The later cars have a somewhat redesigned suspension , stiffer control arms (yes, same rack) and many had Michelin XWX. I have Goodyear Radial TAs in 50s profile, have driven over 7500 km and the only warnig I can give is for one not to take offramps at high speeds as the front was a little light and skipped sideway, but I quickly recovered.

8. DenisC

DenisC Formula 3

Oct 11, 2009
    See the attached video. you can see the driver put the Mangusta thru it's paces, no excessive wheel work and at 4:58 you can even see him turn off the auxiliary fans without any extra stretching. Can't wait to take mine out this summer...

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cn6zaFmCxD4&feature=channel[/ame]

9. Jota 5084

Jota 5084 Formula 3

May 18, 2006
    Sweden
    Full Name:
    Eric Andersson
    Not much gear changing there, but if you have plenty of torque i guess you don't need it.

10. AxerJk

AxerJk Formula 3

Jan 28, 2009
    Livonia, MI
    Full Name:
    Chris Ashworth
    I had the amazing opportunity to ride in the one and only Mangusta with a Chevy engine. The car was just fantastic. Not only that, but a Dino Ferrari pulled aside us and started cruising along. It was such an amazing experience!

Chris

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C_J-FA-QbQM[/ame]

11. jm2

jm2 F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 19, 2002
    michigan
    Full Name:
    john
    Cool,both of my peeps cars,Dick & Kip. Both cars are great. The "goose" has suh a great story behind it.

12. AxerJk

AxerJk Formula 3

Jan 28, 2009
    Livonia, MI
    Full Name:
    Chris Ashworth
    Agreed, Dick told me the story about that car, very fascinating. Both very nice guys too.

Chris

13. Mang

Mang F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 11, 2007
    ta HO
    Full Name:
    Mike S.
  14. johnei

johnei Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 22, 2006
    Seattle
    Full Name:
    John Wiley
  15. 3RS

3RS Rookie

Dec 13, 2010
    Northern NJ
    Full Name:
    David Cottam
    Hello All

Does anyone have or know of a good 4 headlight Mangusta for sale that is not red, black, white or yellow?

Also having heard all the negative comments regarding the handling/driving experience (that often seem to be made by people that have never driven one), but still being seduced by the looks, are their any common mods that people make to improve the whole experience?

Thanks

Dave

16. DenisC

DenisC Formula 3

Oct 11, 2009
    You have that right, writers are just re-hashing info an unsorted early car article. We are a few owners who drive our Mangusta, have upgraded to modern wider radials.

You have to look and ask. Where are you? There are cars out there, here is a silver one in the UK.

http://www.pistonheads.com/sales/3841568.htm

17. testamon

testamon Formula Junior

Aug 16, 2008
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Mike O
    Although I own a Mangusta I have not yet tried to remedy any of the handling woes. I do believe that good modern tyres go a long way to getting a good performer. Some fettling with suspension geometry may also achieve a nice handling machine. I know an expert in the UK is tinkering at present and am sure will pass on his findings when completed. It does apear that as the rear wheels move up and down through their arc the toe in camber changes considerably.

18. DenisC

DenisC Formula 3

Oct 11, 2009
    I know I have written this before (can't recall which forum)

I have a late production car, my tires are 245/50R15 (F) w/24psi & 305/50R15 (R) w/32psi. (Not the period tires, but if you want to follow the grooves in th pavement you can use the bias ply vintage tires) I have driven over 7500km in the last 3 yrs (4600miles). Much of if it at highway speeds (sometimes more) and only once did I ever find it unstable; I was taking a highway off-ramp and negelected to slow down, the front wheel skipped sideway, I let my foot off the gas, then re accelerated. The Mangusta is not a vehicle to drive high speed cones in a parking lot or to pull G's on a skid pad. It is a mid-engine GT car. Grand Touring. It has 8.5 cu.ft. trunk in front and another 3cuft in the compartiment behind the driver, + full size spare. It is a car you want to take on a trip enjoy the engine"s low end torque, passing power, the sound of the motor. Yes you can track it, Lilo has sucessfully done that with his wild blue beast. Journalists from the day (and even today) all have the same list of test for the cars, never mind the vehicle's mission in daily life.

Still this one is a 40+yr old car, and for everyday purpose looks amazing, sound terrific and is thrilling to drive. :) :) :)

19. 3RS

3RS Rookie

Dec 13, 2010
    Northern NJ
    Full Name:
    David Cottam
    Good question. I am in the US (Northeast). Would prefer a car already here in the US, but not a deal breaker if elsewhere. I did look at the car in the UK and talked to the owner who was very open and helpful.

20. Bill Sawyer

Bill Sawyer Formula 3

Feb 26, 2002
    Georgia
    Very well said!

21. jm3

jm3 F1 Rookie

Oct 3, 2002
    United States
    Full Name:
    JM3

The front is the big problem actually. Quite well documented by several people, the guy in England having done the best job of explaining the remedy.

22. Daryl

Daryl Formula 3

Nov 10, 2003
    Barrington Hills, IL
    Full Name:
    Daryl Adams
    #722 Daryl, May 3, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Hey Mike. I see you're in Sydney. Any chance this is your car? I took this photo of a brand new Mangusta at the DeTomaso factory in 1970. It's a bit hard to read, but the destination on the shipping crate says "Sydney".
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

23. DenisC

DenisC Formula 3

Oct 11, 2009
    Steering geometry rules have evolved in 45 years; older cars had less of a caster angle and camber, where as newer cars have a steeper angle

I remember the 93 vs 94 Mustang had the same front suspension components but a totally different alignment specifications and improved handling. To some extent even alignment techs have tendency to play with the suggested numbers, based on their experiences.

more here:

http://www.miracerros.com/mustang/t_suspension3.htm

24. testamon

testamon Formula Junior

Aug 16, 2008
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Mike O
    Hi Daryl,
    My car was delivered new to Mohammed Ali in the US and I believe from my research and paint scrapings it may have been originally black. If indeed that car did come to Australia it can probably only be one car that is now white. I have known all the other cars in Australia for the last 25 years and have not seen any reference to that gold one.

25. Mang

Mang F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 11, 2007
    ta HO
    Full Name:
    Mike S.
    Mike, great history on your car...check on this, but I think he was still going by Cassius Clay at the time he chose the Mangusta as his personal statement car, newly crowned World's number 1 boxing star!