Marchionne Comments - Production Numbers and "SUV" | Page 3 | FerrariChat

Marchionne Comments - Production Numbers and "SUV"

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by Rossocorsa1, Oct 9, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Rossocorsa1

Rossocorsa1 F1 Veteran

May 14, 2017

It's interesting you should make that analogy. You're very right, Nokia lost it's stronghold on the market because they didn't progress and maintain pace with demanding trends. Ultimately, their competition passed them by and they have been relegated to secondary status, if that. Sure, there were some that preferred Nokia remain as they were and are likely quit happy with the outcome. But, if they had reacted to the market and advanced, who knows what Nokia could be today. So, to your point, Ferrari really can't be blamed for perusing new ventures. Whether any of us like it or not, they are going to go down new paths. I still don't believe that Ferrari perusing new avenues means they are abandoning their core. We will just have to wait and see.

2. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    #52 TheMayor, Oct 10, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 10, 2017
    You can say that but you are wrong.

Nokia was a technology company

Ferrari is in the fashion business. Yes, they make fashion. The look, the sound, the color, the tailoring and the experience you feel using it and showing it to others. The shield branding in the side is like a Chanel logo on a handbag. .

Ferrari makes 200mph objects we enjoy being seen in and using where the average speed limit is 40 mph.

If you don't lead in fashion, you disappear.

Dave rocks likes this.
  3. NürScud

NürScud F1 Veteran

Nov 3, 2012
    The guy (Marchionne) is a joke, honestly. What the heck is he thinking? Now, i'm 100% sure that Ferrari cars from Luca Di Montezemolo's era are the best, holding value and be a true driver's car. I'm afraid that after Lamborghini's UGLY Urus (or whatever)...more supercar companies will follow this line....

4. sixcarbs

sixcarbs F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 19, 2004
    SF
    I guess it's time to burn this shirt.

It's a disgrace. Let me put this in teenager terms. Ferraris are cool, SUV's are not cool.

They are the modern day station wagon. It's not like they are used for serious off-roading. I actually used to own a 1973 Caprice Estate wagon with a 454 and while I liked the car for what it was it was far from cool. Wagons and SUV's, unless being used for specific business purposes, are Mom and Parent cars. Now sure, there were parents who drove sports cars and even Ferraris, but they were the exception and they were Cool.

Do any of you remember a station wagon going by in your youth and all of your friends turning their heads to check it out? I rest my case. Image Unavailable, Please Login

This news makes me want to cry.

wiley355, NürScud and MalcQV like this.
  5. MalcQV

MalcQV F1 Rookie

Oct 11, 2004
    Manchester, UK
    Full Name:
    Malc Holden
    That's a valid point. Who is going to buy this?

+1

What exactly does it mean by most popular? Is it simply what is talked about or what is actually purchased. It's the former I'd guess as I don't believe there are more Noble's in the US than Ferraris so it accounts for very little.
    Two British makers at the top? Really? :rolleyes::D

6. CETH

CETH Karting

Nov 3, 2015
    Poland/France
  7. therryzsx

therryzsx Formula Junior

Dec 2, 2011
    In a few months people will accept Ferrari SUV, like they accept that Ferrari replace great NA engine with turbo, like people accept AWD in FF and general hatchback design of FF. Ferrari as business will be fine and during our lifetime Ferrari will not have financial problems.

8. G. Pepper

G. Pepper Three Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 15, 2012
    Texas/Colorado
    Full Name:
    George Pepper
    I don't have a sense of impending doom about this, but I'd rather they revive the Dino with the above-mentioned 2.9 liter V6, AND A STICK.

9. rob lay

rob lay Administrator
    Staff Member Admin Miami 2018 Owner

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    I'm not going to take the time to research and write a long comparison myself, but that article is just for reference. The fact is the market for exotic/super cars is 10x more crowded than it was when Ferrari really dominated and was something special. They are still competing well head to head now, but there isn't that clear cut separation in reality, only in myth now.

10. Ferrari 360 CS

Ferrari 360 CS F1 Veteran

Dec 4, 2004
    Cape Town,SA
    Full Name:
    Jacques
    Well I mean lets face it Bill Harrah really did see the future with the "Jerrari" Strangely enough I seem to think that was based on a Jeep too.

How many of these SUVS are they actually hoping to make? If Ferrari intends to simply up volume by flooding the market with SUV's then that will be incredibly sad. Why they don't pursue the Dino idea is mystifying but perhaps its also a sad reflection of the market, clearly people around the world actually want a Ferrari SUV and to me that says a lot, it tells me slowly but irrecoverably the history of the company is being forgotten.

What is clear is the brand and company are being taken ever further from what the very ethos of Ferrari is. Why do you need an SUV if you have the GTC Lusso. How many people would actually use a Ferrari SUV daily?

In my mind either the SUV replaces the entire Lusso/FF line of cars because the two cannot on paper co exist.

G. Pepper likes this.
  11. johnk...

johnk... F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jun 11, 2004
    CT
    Full Name:
    John Kreskovsky
    Why not a Ferrari SUV? They already had the FF which was IMO a crossover type vehicle. Lamborghini has an SUV. Porsche, Alfa, Maserati all have SUVs. Porsche has expanded it's line of vehicles and increased production over the years. Hasn't hurt them. If fact, the opposite. It's made their cars better, more reliable, while still maintaining cutting edge performance. I don't see why there is a problem with it. And bring on an entry level vehicle too. Nothing wrong with a Ferrari "Boxster/Cayman". Sure, call it a Dino.

12. G. Pepper

G. Pepper Three Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 15, 2012
    Texas/Colorado
    Full Name:
    George Pepper
    There was one source I read that said specifically that the SUV would replace the Lusso, so no more 2+2 touring cars. That's sad, but they never sold many of them anyway. Total production of the 456M was about 1,500 cars.

The SUV would probably boost the FF/Lusso used market if that is what they do.

13. Rossocorsa1

Rossocorsa1 F1 Veteran

May 14, 2017
    It would be interesting to know production numbers of the Bentley Bentayga. That would likely give some indication of what the market could bear at that level. I don't see Ferrari dipping low on price.

14. energy88

energy88 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2012
    West of Fredericksburg, VA
    Full Name:
    John
    At least the Bentayga "looks" like what a classic SUV should be. Hope Ferrari styling does not go the "angry insect" route and present something fugly.

15. Caeruleus11

Caeruleus11 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 11, 2013
    The big sales numbers are not achievable for a purist type sports car- like a new Dino. In a relative sense, look at the Porsche Cayman. Fantastic car. What sells more- it or the Macan? I don't know the exact numbers, but I'd be willing to guess the Macan outsells it by at least 10x. However, I think there is an argument that if they do a SUV, they could also do a "Dino". Maybe the 488 replacement ticks up higher in price and performance and it leaves room for such a car... And maybe it could be a little bit more purist in its nature?

16. Caeruleus11

Rossa Subscribed

Jun 11, 2013
    What does a classic SUV look like? The Jeep Wagoneer is what comes to my mind. Or original Range Rover. I think the Bentley is not attractive at all. I hear from dealers that the sales are not good.

17. Rossocorsa1

Rossocorsa1 F1 Veteran

May 14, 2017
    There has been frequent reference by Ferrari about a 5 year plan that will be unveiled in the first quarter, 2018. I am much more interested in what that plan reveals than simply freaking out about an SUV. Accepting the SUV as inevitable, that 5 year plan may reveal things that everyone is excited about. It may disclose plans for a mid-engine 12 cylinder, or possibly a raw, drivers focused sports road car. Another thing that would be interesting to see are Ferrari's plans for greater inclusion of classic car lines and their owners. Say what you want about Classiche, but that, coupled with the emphasis that Ferrari put on its heritage this past year, seems to suggest that they are only planning to grow their business offerings into the vintage car experience. Even Marchionne himself has made comments about the vintage owner being ignored by the company. They clearly see it as an area for growth via Classiche and the lifestyle experience (events, etc.). We will have to see.

Caeruleus11 likes this.
  18. energy88

Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2012
    Full Name:
    John
    Should at least have 4 doors and a discernible hood. Early generations of Explorer, Highlander, Jeep, Range Rover. Many of today's SUVs are starting to look like vans now.

Caeruleus11 likes this.
  19. Dave rocks

Dave rocks F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Nov 23, 2012
    Orchard Park, NY
    Full Name:
    Dave Lelonek
    Should Land Rover or Hummer (the original, not the GM toy) start making super cars? I think that's the best analogy for this.... ;)

20. Caeruleus11

Rossa Subscribed

Jun 11, 2013
    Land Rover does make a kind of performance car- look at their SVR.

Wouldn't it be interesting if a Ferrari SUV used carbon fiber to lower the center of gravity and overall weight?

Vehicles are always changing. Those who don't change with the times get left behind.

energy88 likes this.
  21. Dave rocks

Dave rocks F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Nov 23, 2012
    Orchard Park, NY
    Full Name:
    Dave Lelonek
    That's still an SUV, Jerry :D

EDIT: You know what? Let them make an SUV - it will ultimately have sticky parts are more business for us ;) :D

G. Pepper likes this.
  22. Caeruleus11

Rossa Subscribed

Jun 11, 2013
    I take your point. But I don't think Land Rover thinks their SVR is much off from a BMW M5 or AMG E63. I think the question is can such a vehicle be true to Ferrari's core values. And I go back in time and wonder if SUVs were popular when Ferrari began, would they have made one? They made 4 seaters, and they made convertibles- neither good racing layouts. I suspect they would have. I think the key thing here is it has to be first and foremost a "Ferrari" which is on one hand something empirical- the engine and driving experience- but on the other hand it is something highly subjective- hard to define. They are walking a very high and thin tightrope....

Dave rocks likes this.
  23. energy88

Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2012
    Full Name:
    John
    Good suggestion. Plus leave Utility in SUV. Don't sacrifice parameters like head room, cargo capacity, ground clearance, etc. in the pursuit of cutting-edge styling. Beat competitors on specs.

24. therryzsx

therryzsx Formula Junior

Dec 2, 2011
    Is there any possibility that this SUV will have V12 NA engine?

25. Need4Spd

Need4Spd F1 Veteran

Feb 24, 2007
    Silicon Valley
    I think you are right. It will help the bottom line in the short run, but long term, Ferrari will cease being special.

Sent from my iPad using FerrariChat.com mobile app