Maserati Ghibli (1966 - 1973) | Page 42 | FerrariChat

Maserati Ghibli (1966 - 1973)

Discussion in 'Maserati' started by miuras, Feb 27, 2007.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. red27

red27 Formula Junior

Sep 7, 2010
    London UK
    Full Name:
    Mark Oliver
    Hi Mike, no connection with the vendor but there is a set of 4 from a Ghibli spyder in the UK on the club site here

Welcome to the web site of the Maserati Club

Ask is £1800. AFAIK they are still for sale. Think they are £1300 or so EACH At Borrani.
    The refurb at the factory is about 1/2 that I believe.

Happy hunting.

Regards. Mark.

2. Julius H.

Julius H. Formula Junior

Feb 25, 2013
    Europe
    Full Name:
    Julius
    Hi Doug

Unfortunatelly i declined from purchase of this car lot of errors regarding originality and no history files etc..anyway very poor Ghibli.but still very interesting to see any Ghibli in this amazing color.Good luck and thanks

Julius

3. ag512bbi

ag512bbi F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 8, 2003
    So. Cal
    Full Name:
    Armen
    Malcom Great Story, But I think you are NUTS!

4. 3500 GT

3500 GT Formula 3

Nov 2, 2008
    USA
    Full Name:
    Gentleman Racer
    Best car story I have heard all year!! Right on! :)

5. jippiejake

jippiejake Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 6, 2012
    Venice Beach
    Full Name:
    Mike Kerns
    Hey Mark,
    Thank you so much.
    I just sent the guy an email.
    He mentioned the wheels are 6.5 x 15 though, and mine are 7.5 x 15..
    Would this still work?
    Thanks..

6. thecarnut

thecarnut F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 22, 2006
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    The Car Nut
    Another sub-par Ghibli at auction. Non-power steering, non-matching number engine, wrong engine for an early car, non wire wheels, not an interesting color combo, no mention of tools or books. There is nothing about this car that makes me want to reach for my checkbook. Sorry if the owner is reading this :)

Sure wish some great Ghiblis would make it to auction as cars like this keep Ghibli prices depressed. I suspect the reason we do not see nice Ghiblis at auctions is that their owners refuse to let them go; unlike nice Daytonas which seem to exchange hands all the time. I've said it many times, I think a well sorted Ghibli is a superb car!

Ivan

7. JulianMerak

JulianMerak Formula 3

#1032 JulianMerak, Jan 13, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Is this the right colour on a Ghibli then? [ picture from Enricos ]
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

8. staatsof

staatsof Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 13, 2005
    Fuggetaboutitland
    Full Name:
    Bob
    Are we getting a bit elitist here? ;)
    All the cars you've sold have met those criteria?

There are still a lot of cars to be restored and the ones that really get driven probably won't meet that criteria anyway.

Just my opinion but I think it's kind of sad to see cars turned into garage queens and when they get to be worth $500K or more driving them is a problem for most people. Actually it's a lot lower than that amount for even more folks including me!

9. velocetwo

velocetwo F1 World Champ

Dec 11, 2006
    Left Coast
    So with todays new paints and completely different bases how does the paint code help?

10. JulianMerak

JulianMerak Formula 3

#1035 JulianMerak, Jan 14, 2014
    Got a good quote for fabricating new sills and floor sections plus repairs to the spare wheel well and battery recess. The guy is very skilled with really good experience and evidence of proper repairs in his shop that will hopefully mean the car should be repaired to the highest level. I have stripped back the paint off the fender lowers and sills to understand what is original and what has been repaired in the past [ maybe in the 70's ] . The repairs I discovered under the filler were pretty crudely done but most of the panels are still original and can be repaired. The guy will also need to sort out the back of the drivers side front fender where the door was forced hard into the panel distorting the rear edge.

Julian

11. Julius H.

Julius H. Formula Junior

Feb 25, 2013
    Europe
    Full Name:
    Julius
    Probably it is.I am not an expert.this shade reminds me one beautiful Iso i have seen in Czech.

12. thecarnut

thecarnut F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 22, 2006
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    The Car Nut
    Of course not, but my cars are not being offered by a major auction house. Daytonas at auction are generally very nice, Ghiblis on the other hand are not ... just saying.

Ivan

13. jnk

jnk Formula Junior

Nov 12, 2010
    I agree with Ivan. I purchased a Ghibli Spyder 2 years ago that was supposedly " restored ". I just received the car back from a marque expert who truly restored the car back to factory condition down to the smallest detail. The car is stunning and I would put it against any Daytona Spyder out there, including my own.

14. awohlmann

awohlmann Karting

Jul 6, 2008
    Austria
    Full Name:
    Alfred Wohlmann
    pm sent !
    Alfred

15. staatsof

staatsof Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 13, 2005
    Fuggetaboutitland
    Full Name:
    Bob
    I think the difference here is those who are collecting/investing and those who want to drive a car. Now it's true that those who don't own #1 exactly original looking cars benefit from those who go all out and re-manufacture the cars to levels that never existed when they left the factory and if that's what they want I think it's great because long term that car is going look good for a long time. But I also would bemoan the fact that not enough people are doing that.

I have a friend with a very nice Daytona Coupe but it would never qualify for what you're describing. Yet he enjoys it, has made numerous improvements in quality to it but it's not original either, the ignition boxes are not proper but they work well!

I'll be curious as to what you do with that gorgeous Bora. Gary certainly drove it a bit. He had work done to the car too such as some paint work and then he sold it at the peak but lost all the proceeds in big block Corvette purchase swindle. After that the car seems to have shuffled though a couple? of owners, stills looks fantastic and from the low mileage I doubt it was enjoyed on the road all that much. Seems like it's been a collection car.

I think there's room for both types but what I don't get is why someone who puts a decent looking car up for auction is to be chastised? I saw plenty of other cars on that list that aren't Pebble Beach stuff either. Some far worse than this Ghibli.

16. thecarnut

thecarnut F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 22, 2006
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    The Car Nut
    #1042 thecarnut, Jan 14, 2014
    Just returned from seeing Ghibli #1103 for the first time after it was painted black. The car is being painted near Detroit, which is a long way from Atlanta.

The Ghibli is still being wet sanded and buffed but I can already see that this car will look fantastic when completed !

The painter starts with 800 grit sandpaper, then 1000, then 2000, then 3000 and finally 5000 ... before buffing. Even the door jambs and bottom of the doors are being done this way.

I should get the car late next week, and then the fun part of putting it together begins.

Ivan

17. Jalpa_Mike

Jalpa_Mike F1 Rookie

Apr 2, 2004
    Sequim
    Full Name:
    Michael Wilson
    Beautiful, Ivan!

18. red27

red27 Formula Junior

Sep 7, 2010
    London UK
    Full Name:
    Mark Oliver
    That is a superb finish Ivan, especially shown in the rear 3/4 panel. you must be very pleased and excited. Will this be known as the Black Widow Spyder??

((-;

Regards.

Mark.

19. italiafan

italiafan F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 19, 2006
    Full Name:
    Stickbones Swagglesmith
    Gorgeous!
    What are purple tapes for? (Just curious)

20. thecarnut

thecarnut F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 22, 2006
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    The Car Nut
    The tape is to protect the edges and character lines while wet sanding.

Ivan

21. BartvanderWeiden

BartvanderWeiden Formula Junior

Nov 29, 2008
    Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Bart van der Weiden
    #1047 BartvanderWeiden, Jan 15, 2014
    Ivan,

The beauty lays in the deail, looks like an astonishing job!

Ghiblisti,

Ever seen a Ghibli on top of a Khamsin, no clue what may come from this, Ghisin or a Khambli?!?
    Today the transport company picked up my Ghibli and Khamsin for the upcoming 100years of Maserati theme at the Maastricht Classic car show this week end.

The centenial fun starts,

Ciao,

Bart

22. jnk

jnk Formula Junior

Nov 12, 2010
    #1048 jnk, Jan 16, 2014
  23. JulianMerak

JulianMerak Formula 3