Maserati Ghibli Power Steering Photos | FerrariChat

Maserati Ghibli Power Steering Photos

Discussion in 'Maserati' started by Falta125, Apr 5, 2012.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Falta125

Falta125 Karting

Mar 11, 2012
    #1 Falta125, Apr 5, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    I've had a number of inquiries about the power steering kit that I am producing. Photo to the left is the kit that I am producing, and the photo on the right is the factory components that are not for sale. The pump, box, and reservoir are ZF items but are not identical to the factory maserati items. This kit is made for a 1970 ghibli with a remote oil reservoir and a reversed alternator. I'm working on a kit for the earlier cars now. Both splined shafts on the box are identical to the factory ZF box. This is a bolt on kit with the exception of your steering column shaft which will need to be altered. STEERING GEOMETERY HAS NOT BEEN ALTERED.This kit may fit an Indy also. Regards Dan Molnar 760-363-7448 California PST before 9:00 pm please.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. ghibliman

ghibliman Formula Junior

Feb 19, 2009
    Thanks for posting photos......looks very interesting.

3. Falta125

Falta125 Karting

Mar 11, 2012
    #3 Falta125, May 17, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  4. 79gts308

79gts308 Rookie

Nov 11, 2010
    We are restoring two Maserati Indy's and the owner wants to put power steering on both cars. We are located in Australia. Can you supply power steering kits for RHD cars? Or give us any info on what parts might be compatible? Thanks

5. staatsof

staatsof Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 13, 2005
    Fuggetaboutitland
    Full Name:
    Bob
    There's always the Dutch electric conversion. It gets good reviews and you can take it out or turn it off if need be.

6. emsiegel13

emsiegel13 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 9, 2007
    Grayslake, Illinis
    Full Name:
    Elliot M. Siegel
    The EZ Steer system is good but it requires modifications to the steering unit and the body of the car.

7. Classicwatch

Classicwatch Rookie

Nov 9, 2012
    Is the Dutch Electric version the same as the EZ steer or is it different? Today I was toying with splicing in a Saturn Vue unit, but I doesn't appear there is enough room in the engine compartment (I have it working on the bench). I have a spare steering shaft, so it can be returned to stock.

Has anyone added electric power steering to the Maserati? Mine in a 1969 Ghibli.

I don't want to do anything that isn't reversible.

8. malcolmb

malcolmb Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Apr 17, 2002
    San diego
    Full Name:
    Malcolm Barksdale
    I installed the EZ power steering unit in my 1969 Ghibli coupe. It was an easy, straightforward installation which required no modifications. It works great. They were easy to deal with and answered several questions promptly. In the first shipment they omitted one part, I send them photos of what was sent, the missing part was on my desk in San Diego three days later.
    Malcolm

9. Classicwatch

Classicwatch Rookie

Nov 9, 2012
    Any chance you can take a snapshot of where it went? I'm fairly sure have the same components of the EZ steer working on my bench, it's basically the electric unit out of a saturn Vue, with some logic attached to it and a potentiometer to dial in assist level.

I just don't see how it can be installed without modifying the car.

I have a '69 Ghibli as well, getting too old for the non power steering!

10. Classicwatch

Classicwatch Rookie

Nov 9, 2012
    ... Unless the kit is an entire steering column!

11. malcolmb

malcolmb Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Apr 17, 2002
    San diego
    Full Name:
    Malcolm Barksdale
    which it is.
    Why not contact the company, it is all 'splained on its site.
    Malcolm

12. staatsof

Silver Subscribed

Mar 13, 2005
    Fuggetaboutitland
    Full Name:
    Bob
    + 1,000,000,000

I've seen this installed on an Espada there's even a Countach with one discussed on this forum. People like it. It's not original so concours might be a problem but look at their website and give them a call. If it all fits under the dash on a Ghibli then that might not be a problem. On a Bora you lose steering rake adjustment. It's not an adapted piece of steering hardware directly from an American made car. Same principles though.

13. boralogist

boralogist Formula Junior

Jun 21, 2005
    The EZ PS we installed on my Bora is simply awesome.
    Not only is the system fantastic but EZ factory support is incredible.
    They worked with us all the way through the installation including responding overnight via DHL when we needed a custom modification.
    It is true that the rake adjustment is lost but otherwise the entire system is fully reversible.
    Speaking for myself, this is one modification that is never coming off.

Regards.

14. malcolmb

malcolmb Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Apr 17, 2002
    San diego
    Full Name:
    Malcolm Barksdale
    agreed, I am very happy with my installation, and it is reversible if the next owner wants to return to the original. The company was very helpful during the installation.

15. Classicwatch

Classicwatch Rookie

Nov 9, 2012
    Not getting answer from the US distributor. Did you deal with him or the Dutch side?

If it's an entire column, then yes it all makes sense and should be fully reversible.

Thanks for your answer.

16. malcolmb

malcolmb Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Apr 17, 2002
    San diego
    Full Name:
    Malcolm Barksdale
    go to the company website in the Netherlands or wherever it is, order from them, it is easy and straightforward, one of the simplest transactions I have done. They were also good at answering questions, this is easy!
    Malcolm

17. staatsof

Silver Subscribed

Mar 13, 2005
    Fuggetaboutitland
    Full Name:
    Bob
    Doing a little bit of research will uncover your answer. Not all cars are the same. The installation is not identical on all cars. I bet they have photos available of a Ghibli installation and can explain what's needed as well as how it can be reversed. They modify your column and insert their mechanism in it. That part can be reversed.

18. malcolmb

malcolmb Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Apr 17, 2002
    San diego
    Full Name:
    Malcolm Barksdale
    In my case they furnished a new steering column, they did not modify mine. They had instructions but not in English, weren't needed really any mechanic can do this.
    Why not deal with them, instead of continuing to solicit advise from us great unwashed?
    They will help you.
    Malcolm

19. boralogist

boralogist Formula Junior

Jun 21, 2005
    +1
    I have been through this on another thread here also.
    To repeat:
    EZ PS installation uses a TOTALLY COMPLETELY NEW EZ STEERING COLUMN.
    You will retain your untouched original column and and do with it as you please.

Regards.

20. thecarnut

thecarnut F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 22, 2006
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    The Car Nut
    Correct. The previous owner of my Iso Grifo had the EZ steering installed and the car came with its original column. Once you have the EZ steering I can see no reason as to why anyone would want to go to the original. The best part is that you can adjust the amount of "assistance" based on how you intend to use the car that day.

Ivan

21. hiltsuk

hiltsuk Karting

Dec 31, 2014
    London
    I'm also looking at this. I'm the UK and the distributor supplies and fits for £5000. I'll look at ordering direct from Holland and self fitting.

Sent from my HTC One M9 using Tapatalk

22. rentsch1961

rentsch1961 Karting

Oct 22, 2012
    Geneva, Switzerland
    Full Name:
    Alain RENTSCH
    Hi,
    I need a power steering system on AM 116*670.

The EZ electric system is impossible to use in the early Indy with double binnacle dashboard, because there is no place for the electric motor.

I want to retrofit an original hydraulic system, but the parts are not easy to find.

Can any Indy/Ghibli owner have a look under his hood and give me the references of the ZF ps box and high pressure pump?

If somebody have one or another part lurking around, I am a buyer.
    Does Dan Molnar still sell kits?

Thanks for your help, Alain.

23. Candide

Candide Formula 3

Apr 6, 2017
    Monaco
    And what about a more direct ratio AND w/o any P/S ??!!??