Maserati Khamsin | Page 141 | FerrariChat

Maserati Khamsin

Discussion in 'Maserati' started by Maeter, Feb 24, 2008.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Doug R

Doug R Karting

Oct 11, 2005
    Yellow Springs Ohio
    #3501 Doug R, May 7, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Well,
    I seem to have dodged the bullet for now. Turned out my only current issue was the clamp on the main tank transfer line was no longer snug. The lines themselves are still pliable, no splits, though the transfer line does have some small cracks starting where it stretches over the flare on the neck of the main tank. Can't hardly see them but how much time is left?
    The tanks themselves are very clean on the inside, a quite pleasant finding.

Now to decide whether to just button it up for the summer season or figure out how to remove the nearly inaccessable rivots holding the trim that holds the rear glass in and keep moving forward on that bumper conversion----.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. au-yt

au-yt F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 13, 2006
    Burradoo... Actually
    Full Name:
    Graeme
    HI Bal & Paul

The grommets you are both refering to are the small ones in the side of the tank for the fluid level sight glass?

question for others what was the sight glass tube made out off?

for the record the top grommets which I need are:
    GX13 290 01A… 6 mm Hydraulic return line grommet-CXor GS part
    5 413 317C ….. 8 mm Hydraulic return line grommet-SM part

I am tempted to get some of these made. I have taken drawings from the ones of my car.
    If I had more info / damages sample of the originals that would would assist.

Regards
    Graeme

3. khamsin433

khamsin433 Formula Junior

Jul 16, 2009
    Birmingham, UK
    Full Name:
    Balbir
    Hi Graeme,

Yes the grommets I'm referring to are the ones on the side of the tank for the sight glass tube as you say. They have what looks like a snap ring embedded withint he grommet to provide a means to hold the pipe in place when pushed through. One of my grommets fell apart when removed. The pipe is made of clear-ish plastic tubing with right angle bends at each end. I still have the pipe and one grommet, I'll take a picture for you and post when I get a moment.

Bal

4. f308jack

f308jack F1 Rookie

Jun 7, 2007
    Cape Town, South Afr
    Full Name:
    Jack Verschuur
    Did we ever discuss this one?

http://www.classicdriver.com/uk/find/4100_results.asp?lCarID=1830472

It also comes with a question regarding exhausts:

This car has a central box catching the exhaust from both cylinder banks. Mine (#435)doesn't: The headers and end-boxes are the same, but the banks have separate boxes either side of the propshaft (roughly, they are of course below propshaft level)

Do I have a wrong centre-section, or were later euro-exhausts different from earlier euro-exhausts?

Oh man, why did they slide it together rather than bolting with proper flanges....

5. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery
    #3505 Nembo1777, May 8, 2012
    Last edited: May 8, 2012
    Hi Jack:

Yes we did discuss it in the past, that is #244 near Zurich which was rebuilt late 2010 and in 2011 at huge cost, they did a very fine job though some details I don't agree with. I must admit they are not so important. Red will never work for me on a Khamsin but that is just my opinion.

This is the most extensive restoration I am aware of so far but several other cars are being finished right now in time for K40 so time will tell!:).

Doug R: go for it: bumper conversion! Undisfigure another US K and be a hero. You are aware of my how to guide aren't you?

http://www.maseratikhamsinregistry.com/bumper_kit.html

Even though I am not a tech person at all I did three K bumper conversions and still have ten fingers so it is not so bad! Do the front as well in fact I suggest doing it first.

The tech nitty gritty part starts on page 3 and is very detailed. For the rivets just drill carefully.

best regards,

Marc

6. khamsin433

khamsin433 Formula Junior

Jul 16, 2009
    Birmingham, UK
    Full Name:
    Balbir
    As far as I'm aware the single centre box is standard. I had my system made from a pattern the guys already had and it was exactly as per the mild steel original that was falling apart.

The joints with the olives, not the best but I believe someone once said they allow a little flex when needed. Not cheap either, but the clamps and olives are available from MIE & McGraths.

Bal

7. paul328

paul328 Formula Junior

May 5, 2009
    Scotland UK
    Full Name:
    Paul Santoni
    hi

I am the same as Bal. mine is a single box into which two come in and go out although suspect is individual pipes through the box.

Swiss car is very nice, but £134,000 for a restoration! I could have sold him mine for half that! lol

Paul

8. f308jack

f308jack F1 Rookie

Jun 7, 2007
    Cape Town, South Afr
    Full Name:
    Jack Verschuur
    Thanks Bal & Paul, I will need to correct this on mine.

Marc,

Yes, the Swiss car is nice, but after such an expensive restoration one would expect it to be correct in detail. A missed opportunity as far as I am concerned.

9. paul328

paul328 Formula Junior

May 5, 2009
    Scotland UK
    Full Name:
    Paul Santoni
    Wouldn't be too fussed about changing it if it works. Not many people will be looking under there unless you run them over, and i don't think they will notice that!

The mounting and the 'olives' are probably more important, to the use of the car.

I had a stainless system made for my car and could send you pics if you send me your email. Mine has heat wrapping around lots of pipes. There are delicate areas around there where unshielded pipes may run too close. I have no capacity to post more pics on here and happy for you to post them if you want

Paul

10. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery
    #3510 Nembo1777, May 8, 2012
    Hi Paul,

well I was just trying to be diplomatic towards the effort expended on 244.

He came to the 8 Khamsin meeting of August 22, 2010 we organized with a Zurich based owner, the car was already red (with BBS rims) but not in particularly nice shape and its owner spent all day looking at the better cars there and started the restoration with repaint and everything soon afterwards!

Sorry for these general shots don't have time to dig right now for individual shots of the car that day.

In fact the dark blue car on the photos was also restored completely in italy since and the silver car with smooth nose received quite a lot of mechanical work since while all the others in the photos are excellent so it would appear, considering that we have several cars the restoration of which is being finished now for K40 next month that things are changing positively but perhaps as you say one or two small eggs dropped out of the basket and 244 could have, should have been fully done right, still I applaud the effort and it will find its actual market value and a buyer.

best regards,

Marc

miura1 likes this.
  11. f308jack

f308jack F1 Rookie

Jun 7, 2007
    Cape Town, South Afr
    Full Name:
    Jack Verschuur
    Marc,

Well, in your foto's vents, faux-vents and bumperparts are also red, so the brief for the restorer must have been wanting. I can't imagine anyone throwing 'what it needs' at a car, retaining such obvious 'faults'.

I do like the BBS wheels though:)

12. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery
    Agreed Jack, yes, though it might have been his personal preference...

MS

13. f308jack

f308jack F1 Rookie

Jun 7, 2007
    Cape Town, South Afr
    Full Name:
    Jack Verschuur
    Paul,

Thank you for the pics, looks like a thorough job done. I like the abundant use of heat-wrap, also where it passes through the rear cage, protecting all the 'soft' components there. It's a busy place where lots of heat can accumulate.

I'm going to have a good look at the condition of my exhaust once it is off: there are some leaks on the pipes, but as far as I can see, the boxes appear fine.
    I have also noted a heat-shield between the clutch hydraulics and the header: I don't have one, and the header passes very close to the banjo of the fluid return line, which is hard and cracked on the barbs. This is caused solely by exhaust heat in mu opinion, so I'll need to fabricate a shield.

Is there anything special about the material of the return line? I don't suppose I could just go to an aquarium shop for clear plastic tubing.

If anyone has detailed pics of the original heat-shield I'd be grateful!

14. au-yt

au-yt F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 13, 2006
    Burradoo... Actually
    Full Name:
    Graeme
    #3514 au-yt, May 9, 2012
    Heat shield not sure how to explain the one on the actautor except it is made out of aluminium and is mounted under the head of of the mount bolts. its main purpose is the disperse the heat.

the wrap on the exhaust is the comercial heat material sold at some performance shops with stainless straps.

The Return hose I used was an aeroquip cotton braid low pressure line, and in the picture it is covered with more Aeroquip sleeving and high temp Silastic.

I replaced some of the plastic Y fittings with brass ones.

Regards
    Graeme

15. f308jack

f308jack F1 Rookie

Jun 7, 2007
    Cape Town, South Afr
    Full Name:
    Jack Verschuur
    Graeme,

Thanks for advice and pics.

I note that you mounted ther return line to the banjo with a hose-clamp: Is this line prone to come off the barbs? It looks to me like a push-on type of barb (quite sharp), and putting a hose-clamp there may actually do more harm than good.

I understand what the heat-shield should look like, and once the header is off it should be easy to fabricate a new one.

16. garyguinn

garyguinn Rookie

May 9, 2012
    Tulsa, Ok
    Full Name:
    Gary Guinn
    I would be interested in picking up a
    khamsin project if there is one for sell.

thanks
    Gary Guinn/Tulsa

17. MK1044

MK1044 Two Time F1 World Champ

Nov 6, 2011
    NYC USA
    Full Name:
    Carmine
    #3517 MK1044, May 9, 2012
    Last edited: May 9, 2012
    Hi Gary,

I recommend that you keep an eye on Hemmings.Com. I see about two Khamsins per year come up for sale in the USA. "Project" condition cars are generally advertised in the range of $18-ish to $35-ish. You should be able to get one worth restoring for the lower end of that scale or maybe less if you are quick on CraigsList.Com or some similar source. Absolutely do not pay more than $25 for a project and then only a really good one.

Having said that, if you are able, do NOT buy a "project". Buy a good running restored car, or excellent condition near original with not too many owners. I think you can get a nice one for around $70-ish.

Also, the Euro delivery cars are generally considered more desirable because of the bumpers, tail lights and engine tuning. But you are not likely to find one in the USA. (The aesthetics can be changed from USA to Euro delivery pretty easily anyway). Also, if you want a five-speed then try to hold out for one. The conversion from automatic seems to be expensive and not many parts are available to do it.

There are a few other guys around here who can give price and technical guidance as well. Perhaps they will speak up.

Carmine

18. au-yt

au-yt F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 13, 2006
    Burradoo... Actually
    Full Name:
    Graeme
    Hi Greg

I absolutely agree with Carmine

Buying the best car you can afford is good advice but always leave some money for the hidden unknowns, and there will be.

If you are very hands on and have plenty of cash a project can be fun.

Highly recommend that you get someone familiar with the cars to look at it first before spending any money.

Happy Hunting

Regards
    Graeme

19. staatsof

staatsof Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 13, 2005
    Fuggetaboutitland
    Full Name:
    Bob
    It's not a big deal to tune the engine to European specifications. Jets and cam timing. Exhaust system changes are a bigger deal though and you'll probably have to modify the distributor. Most cars will need a new exhaust system by now anyway.

20. eogorman

eogorman Formula Junior

May 10, 2005
    Buhl, ID
    Full Name:
    Eugene O'Gorman
    I bought two sets of these about two years ago from JBM industries Kent OHio. They make rubber parts and I believe have the molds if they are out of stock.

21. au-yt

au-yt F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 13, 2006
    Burradoo... Actually
    Full Name:
    Graeme
    Do you have contact details for them? I just bought some second hand ones at the outrageos price of $35.00 each!

Cheers
    Graeme

22. abarth69

abarth69 Karting

Aug 16, 2011
    Toronto
    Full Name:
    Mark
  23. red27

red27 Formula Junior

Sep 7, 2010
    London UK
    Full Name:
    Mark Oliver
    Hi Graeme, Yes I saw the car last year whilst I was looking to buy. It lives in West London close to my house. The Vendor put it up on a lift for me so I had a good poke round.....I didn't buy...! If anyone wants further info send a PM. Mark.

24. au-yt

au-yt F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 13, 2006
    Burradoo... Actually
    Full Name:
    Graeme
    Hi Mark
    Did you get the chassis number for Marc?
    Regards
    Graeme