massive heist of John Andrews' Ferraris | Page 5 | FerrariChat

massive heist of John Andrews' Ferraris

Discussion in 'Vintage (thru 365 GTC4)' started by VisualHomage, Dec 6, 2012.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. DesertDawg

DesertDawg Eight Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 25, 2010
    The Desert
    Full Name:
    DesertDawg
    Are you able to personally vouch for said interviewer?

2. tcannon

tcannon Formula 3

Feb 18, 2009
    Norman, OK
    Full Name:
    Todd Cannon
    After watching the video interview and reading through all of this thread, there is one thing that sticks out to me. I can be dense at times so please let me know if I am way of base. But, he and the interviewer mentions that he drove some of these cars all over town many many times. The interviewer says that he remembers following him all over as well. So if he never registered any of these cars, how is it that he can drive Ferraris all over town without proper plates? Is he saying that he drove them without plates? Or were they plates from other cars? If he indeed did drive them around as he states and he did it legally, then there has to be some record of the registration somewhere from that time. That part makes no sense to me. Again, I can be dense sometimes so please forgive me if I am missing something obvious here. :)

3. Jdubbya

Jdubbya The $10 Trillion Man
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2003
    PNW
    Full Name:
    John
    I don't think anyone denies he owned these cars. I think the confusion or controversy is how they "left" his possession. Seems some think he himself sold them.

And the driving all over town mentioned in the video was "back in the day", as in 60's and early 70's.

4. El Wayne

El Wayne F1 World Champ
    Staff Member Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 1, 2002
    San Marino, CA
    Full Name:
    L. Wayne Ausbrooks
    I just sat through most of the (painfully unedited) interview for the first time. Let me just add:

1. In response to those who are questioning why the cars weren't registered, they are talking about driving theses cars around some 30-40 years ago. If you look at the images of Andrews' cars in this thread, it's clear that none of the cars here were recently operable.

2. According to Andrews, he has no titles or proof of ownership because he claims that they were stolen from his safe back in 2006.

3. In CA, if a vehicle is not registered in the state for a period of four years, it may be dropped from the system. At ten years or more, it is definitely dropped. I know this from personal experience, having purchased a CA car that sat unregistered for fifteen years with out a non-op filing. DMV could find no record of the car.

4. Dealing with DMV and/or police in CA is difficult when it comes to vehicles that are too old to have 17-digit VINs. Again, I know this from experience.

4. To respond to my own post, as others have already pointed out, the Ferraris that Mike Sheehan purchased from Andrews back in 1994 are not among those he is claiming were stolen. I should have watched the video before posting. Even so, you all got to enjoy some cool pics. :)

5. I still think it's likely that the vehicles were legally sold.

5. tcannon

tcannon Formula 3

Feb 18, 2009
    Norman, OK
    Full Name:
    Todd Cannon
    I know he was talking about driving them years ago. But even then, was he driving them around without plates? If they were never registered, he was either driving them around town many many times without plates or he was using plates off of another car. I think it is highly improbable that he could drive any of those cars that much without plates on them. So it appears to me that he must have been using plates illegally.

6. El Wayne

El Wayne F1 World Champ
    Staff Member Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 1, 2002
    San Marino, CA
    Full Name:
    L. Wayne Ausbrooks
    My point was that the cars could have been registered to him at that time yet, as they became inoperable, he ceased renewing the annual registration.

7. No Doubt

No Doubt Seven Time F1 World Champ

May 21, 2005
    Vegas+Alabama
    Full Name:
    Mr. Sideways
    Easy enough to get a duplicate title issued if the cars were ever registered.

Was he filing his In-Op notice to the state?

Did the man have insurance on these assets?

If he wasn't paying registration taxes, wasn't filing In-Op, and wasn't paying insurance, then he was taking some pretty big chances...especially if he had lost possession of "his" titles.

The 330 GT sold in August. There is at least one owner with a paper trail. File a civil suit, have the judge subpoena the check that paid for the car (banking records).

That check got deposited/cashed somewhere. That's where you start interviewing witnesses.

8. tcannon

tcannon Formula 3

Feb 18, 2009
    Norman, OK
    Full Name:
    Todd Cannon
    But isn't he claiming that he never did register any of these cars? This is the part that does not make sense to me. If he never registered them, then how could he have driven a few of them many many times around town as he claims? I would think that if he did register them at some point in the past, he would have no reason not to say so now. Maybe this means nothing at all. It was just something that did not add up to me on all of this.

9. Dave rocks

Dave rocks F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Nov 23, 2012
    Orchard Park, NY
    Full Name:
    Dave Lelonek
    No. I cannot. I took that at face value in the context of the thread. I'm not an investigater...

10. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    The video and this thread are really confusing, and I wonder if that's intentional.

Just post the cars and vins in question and when they were stolen and let others who know where these cars are now show the records of where they are and who owns them.

Why is that so difficult? It's not like someone is going to change a vin on a car like this.

Let's cut the speculative baloney and just concentrate on the exact cars in question.

11. 2NA

2NA F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner Professional Ferrari Technician

Dec 29, 2006
    Twin Cities
    Full Name:
    Tim Keseluk
    Exactly, no need to over-complicate something so relatively simple. I was only able to endure a few minutes of the banality.

I suggest also posting dated photos (if any exist) of the cars along with relevant information.

12. No Doubt

May 21, 2005
    Vegas+Alabama
    Full Name:
    Mr. Sideways
    Why do I have visions in my head of an "owner" with no paperwork taking out an ad in Cavalino claiming "Stolen Ferraris!"

Deja vu?!

13. donv

donv Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 5, 2002
    Portland, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Don
    The VINs were posted back on page 3, here:

http://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/showpost.php?p=141947935&postcount=44

The cars in question are the 275GTB, the Lusso, and the 330 America.

14. No Doubt

May 21, 2005
    Vegas+Alabama
    Full Name:
    Mr. Sideways
  15. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    Exactly.

16. VisualHomage

VisualHomage F1 Veteran

Aug 30, 2006
    San Antonio
    Correct. The SWB and the 166 are on record as legitimately sold.

17. Cozmic_Kid

Cozmic_Kid F1 Veteran

Dec 1, 2005
    Denmark
    Full Name:
    B. Frandsen
    This is the script for "Gone In 60 Years", to hit a cinema near you in 2014.

18. VisualHomage

VisualHomage F1 Veteran

Aug 30, 2006
    San Antonio
    LOL!

19. 134282

134282 Four Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Aug 3, 2002
    California
    Full Name:
    Carbon McCoy
    That auction states that the hood bracket is stamped with the number 681 - 5051 was Pininfarina job #68681, so the full job number is probably not visible on the bracket, which is why the full job number wasn't posted in the auction. This is the only way I can see how this hood was associated with this car. I don't know that any of this is relevant to the thread, I'm just trying to connect my own dots.

As for the car in question being stolen from Andrews, 330gt.com says that this car was a theft recovery in 1975 - perhaps Andrews is confused (Deliriums? Dementia?) and intertwining actual events with erroneous time periods. Spirochetes, left untreated, can do serious damage.

20. darth550

darth550 Six Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 14, 2003
    In front of you
    Full Name:
    BCHC
    I saw a guy by the freeway today, holding a sign that said "Will work for french fries"...

21. GuyIncognito

GuyIncognito Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
    fixed!

22. No Doubt

May 21, 2005
    Vegas+Alabama
    Full Name:
    Mr. Sideways
    The hood was pictured in the July and August ebay auctions, as well as on and off but next to the 330 gt in the July thru August CarPlanet.com ad.

The ebay id and the California sale of the 330 give trails to those involved. If you are claiming a car theft, those are places to begin looking.

23. SonomaRik

SonomaRik F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 15, 2006
    Sonoma, CA
    #123 SonomaRik, Dec 9, 2012
    Last edited: Dec 9, 2012
    Exactly. Let it play out. So many things said for chatters sake soon to be regretted, with speculation coming up the backstretch and heartache crying in the middle. Chill. Spill the facts and this is a quiet thread otherwise. More drama than F1.

Seriously we can see where casual postings on the interwebs can lead. I do not know the OP but this cut and paste attempt to incite riot where none existed is what makes for a lot of heartache. This is serious stuff and should be considered.

From what I have read we have a minimum of one week before more from THE PRIMARIES can be posted.

24. No Doubt

May 21, 2005
    Vegas+Alabama
    Full Name:
    Mr. Sideways
    #124 No Doubt, Dec 9, 2012
    Last edited: Dec 9, 2012
    The 330GT Registry (http://www.330gt.com/Detail/5051.html) shows an eBay auction of #5051's hood in July, using an eBay account ID of nenis44 and a phone # of 714-653-9331.

An online reverse phone # search claims 714-653-9331 as being registered to:
    Daniel Parsons (Google Maps as Parsons Manufacturing: https://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&safe=off&q=%22717+Ohms+Way%22+92627&ie=UTF-8&ei=ki3FUMLYKon09gS_lIHgAw&ved=0CAUQ_AUoAA)
    717 Ohms Way (listed as industrial property in loopnet: http://www.loopnet.com/Property-Record/717-Ohms-Way-Costa-Mesa-CA-92627/VQG47tf7Q/)
    Costa Mesa, CA 92627

Now, in the *first* hard clue to even vaguely support Andrew's claims of his property being stolen, Nenis44 has a whole bunch of random car parts for sale on eBay, including a few nearly new tailgates (a common stolen+fenced part): http://www.ebay.com/sch/nenis44/m.html?_nkw=&_armrs=1&_from=&_ipg=25&_trksid=p3686

Anyway, Andrews and his friends should start their investigation with at least a phone call to Daniel Parsons.

25. open roads

open roads F1 Rookie

Jan 28, 2007
    Sarasota, Fl.
    Full Name:
    Stan
    I'm thinking reality TV show.

Ferraris are always good for a story.