Max Verstappen | Page 10 | FerrariChat

Max Verstappen

Discussion in 'F1' started by CRG125, Aug 12, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. ypsilon

ypsilon F1 Rookie

May 4, 2008
    the Netherlands
    Ricciardo's statements this season def. have another tone to them than before, he must feel the pressure of Verstappen.

I was surprised to hear Ricciardo turned 27 last week, don't know why, but had the impression he was only 23, maybe 24.

2. Bas

Bas Four Time F1 World Champ

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    The scary part of that is, we know that ricciardo can go toe to toe with Hamilton & co any day of the week.

Verstappen is definitely not in his prime yet, that normally happens at age 27-32 doesn't it? Curious to see how he packs out against Ricciardo in quali in the coming races/rest of the season, for all we know Ricciardo had an issue Saturday ;).

The possibilities for this kid are quite amazing and somewhat scary. Many seasoned drivers/ex F1/commentators that have seen it all are all saying they're seeing a young Schumacher at work here. I got the numbers out not long ago but in HIS prime, mid 90s to early 2000s...he was scary fast. Frightening. If Verstappen still has that to show...We're in for something else.

3. IamRobG

IamRobG F1 Rookie

Jun 18, 2007
    NY
    I like Max. I think the kid has immense talent so far.

However, he lucked into the 1st win with the Mercs taking each other out and the tire strategy.

Ricciardo lucked OUT of his 1st win with that nonsense pit stop from Red Bull and he fought the Mercs, not the Ferrari.

Its still too early. He's definitely talented, but give it some time. Everyone was praising Hulkenberg and Bottas as the next up and coming and they have been very stagnant this year.

4. 375+

375+ F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2005
    I respectfully disagree. Max is an exceptional talent, he is in the right place at the right time. I expect that he will drive only for top teams in the years ahead.

5. Bas

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    +1

Ferrari and Red Bull both had their #1 drivers on what seemed like the optimum strategy. Why would they **** either one of their drivers out of that. It was only until the very end when the tires didn't fall of the cliff that the win was possible, both Verstappen and Kimi said in the last laps it became difficult to handle.

Max's silverstone performance once again spoke wonders about his ability. Quicker than Hamilton in the wet and changing positions, driving round the outside of a mercedes in the maggots/beckets complex (attempting a pass there is insanity in the first place).

I don't recall a lackluster or average weekend from Max yet. Mistakes have been made (Monaco...and Monaco), but not underperforming for the whole weekend.

6. IamRobG

IamRobG F1 Rookie

Jun 18, 2007
    NY
    Hence the "luck into the first win". The tires didn't fall off the cliff like they were supposed to.

7. Bas

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    I think it's more to do with tire management than anything. Both of them had to do a lot of it to make sure the tires would hold and not push too hard.

8. subirg

subirg F1 Rookie

Dec 19, 2003
    Cheshire
    +1 Max is in the same league as Vettel and Ham. No question. We are seeing the emergency of real F1 star. It's wonderful to see and good for the sport.

ps - he overtook Ros at the Stowe corner, not Maggots/Beckets complex. Still insane… :)

9. Beau365

Beau365 Formula 3

Feb 27, 2005
    Congested London
    Full Name:
    Beau
    Max has an ability to push the car harder than anyone else, overtake others in unexpected places with great gusto, and yet still retains superb tyre management. We haven't seen this since MS.

10. subirg

subirg F1 Rookie

Dec 19, 2003
    Cheshire
    You raise a great point re his tyre management. It is not unusual to have great over taking or pace, but at the expense of tyre management. To have this quality as well is very unusual, and quite a differentiator. He can somehow drive the car harder, and for longer, than pretty much anyone else on the grid. That counts.

11. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
    As someone pointed out post-race, he already has more podium finishes than his father!

12. Jana

Jana F1 Veteran

Mar 4, 2015
    Whatever your opinion on his future, MV is one of the only interesting things coming out of F1 this year.

13. TifosiUSA

TifosiUSA F1 Veteran

Nov 18, 2007
    Kansas City, MO
    Full Name:
    DJ
    +1000

Anyone taking a "wait and see" approach with this kid is crazy. He is the REAL DEAL. You would have to be blind to not see how talented he is. Schumacher-esque indeed.

14. Bas

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    Schumacher-esque is overused but for Max I make an exception.

15. Bas

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    Looks like becketts to me mate! :)

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i9i2--MR_Xs[/ame]

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5dMXKi3UDSo[/ame]

Love the fan reaction and the commentator ''mama mia'' :D

16. Bas

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    Indeed. Canada and Austria he had better pace than Ricciardo, yet the latter still had to pit for new tires. It's sensational to watch.

I'm a huge fan of Ricciardo, but I understand him getting a tad annoyed now. Beat/matched Vettel at Red Bull, great couple of wins, some teenager comes along and starts beating him in races straight away...and now quali. I wonder how the rest of the season will pack out but I wouldn't be at all surprised to see him in Ferrari in 2018 to replace Kimi. Welcome addition he'll be I reckon. Mr smiley, Italian heritage and incredibly well liked by the fans.

A lot of his recent commentary is taken out of context, he still says most of the things with a smile or wink.

17. TifosiUSA

TifosiUSA F1 Veteran

Nov 18, 2007
    Kansas City, MO
    Full Name:
    DJ
    Would LOVE Ricciardo at Ferrari. Since Max got to Red Bull Ricciardo's whole demeanor has changed. All smiles has become comparatively despondent. He knew Max was a threat coming in, unlike Kvyat who he had a handle on. The pressure is getting to him and I'm sure he feels like Vettel did when he came onboard

18. itschris

itschris Formula 3

Sep 15, 2011
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Chris
    And I think that's why he's escaped the criticism thus far. Lewis make the smallest comment and the board goes bat-sh*t crazy with 21 pages of debate and leads to people eventually getting banned because it get so nuts.

If you read and listen to his comments, he's far more arrogant, a bigger "whiner" as everyone here likes to call drivers, and probably a bit more of a believer in his own hype than most. But say with a million dollar smile and it's all good.

He's not alone in the mentality at all... he just gets a pass all the time. But I agree... he went from hero and future champion in a lot people's mind to an "also-ran" almost overnight since Max arrived. That's unfair and doesn't acknowledge that he's still one of the top drivers in F1.

19. Bas

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    I don't think he's an also-ran. Ricciardo is still every bit as good as he was 2 years ago when he was beating Vettel, you don't become an Also ran overnight...He's just unfortunate that max is THAT good. Put him in the 2nd Merc and Ham will go home crying every Sunday.

The reason he does get away with it is because he is a nice chap. Hamilton's behavior is working strongly against him, very moody and when he does put on a happy face, it seems very unbelievable/forced.

20. itschris

itschris Formula 3

Sep 15, 2011
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Chris
    I certainly don't think he's an "also-ran" but his star has lost some luster now that everyone is paying attention to Max and I think his recent comments, though done with his usual, awe shucks smile, show that it's getting to him a bit. And that's sort of my point... he's a "nice chap" as you say so everyone gives him a pass. I think actually his opportunity is now. While everyone is paying attention to Max, he could quietly go about his business and show what he's got. There's no reason that he can't be a contender. He's got the talent.

That's okay though... we all like the drivers we like. For me, I like watching him drive, but I'm just not a fan anymore. When he makes comments like "I understand why Ferrari would want me so bad" or whatever he said, it just grates on me. He's not accomplished enough yet in my mind to talk that much smack... even if he does it with a smile.

21. 375+

375+ F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2005
    I think that he is showing us what he's got--Max is beating him. DR is an excellent driver but Max might be a once in a generation great driver. I really like them both and am cheering for Red Bull for the first time ever.

22. maulaf

maulaf Formula 3

Feb 24, 2011
    Cape Town
    same here

23. william

william Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006
    +1

Red Bull has a very attractive duet of young talents.

24. Bas

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    +1 :)

Though I supported RBR when Webber/DC and later Vettel where driving (Didn't like Alonso at Ferrari).

25. itschris

itschris Formula 3

Sep 15, 2011
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Chris
    I started really watching F1 seriously when Vettle came on the scene. I really became an RB fan then. I still am an RB fan but ive just lost some...not all.. Of my Ric fandom.