Max Verstappen | Page 12 | FerrariChat

Max Verstappen

Discussion in 'F1' started by CRG125, Aug 12, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. DF1

DF1 Two Time F1 World Champ

2. SimCity3

SimCity3 F1 Rookie

+1
    He's 18 and has much to learn.
    Speed and raw talent he already has.

3. william

william Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006

I agree with that. Nothing wrong with gaining experience, but not at someone's else expense!

Verstappen's talent isn't in question, but he thinks he can do no wrong.
    Now, who else used to be like that ?

4. SimCity3

SimCity3 F1 Rookie

The GOAT ! :D

5. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006

For you, maybe, but not for me.

6. maulaf

maulaf Formula 3

Feb 24, 2011
    Cape Town
    He was pulling your leg, William.
    I think we are all looking forward to a second half of the season without silly goat debates.

7. singletrack

singletrack F1 Veteran

Mar 16, 2011
    Pittsburgh, PA
    I don't know what to say except that this is often a part of racing. I've heard so many pro drivers tell me, "you know sometimes you go for that gap and it closes or it wasn't really there, or the guy doesn't see you, blah blah, you crash out".

If people only made moves they knew would work out, we wouldn't see much actual racing.

8. singletrack

singletrack F1 Veteran

Mar 16, 2011
    Pittsburgh, PA
  9. John_K_348

John_K_348 F1 Rookie

Sep 20, 2013
    Boston, MA
    Full Name:
    John E. Kenney
    Yes! Just like Vettel. Do you remember when he crashed into Webber, OFTEN? LOL ;)

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

10. 4rePhill

4rePhill F1 Veteran

Oct 18, 2009
    Worcester, England
    Full Name:
    Phill J
    "It's unclear whether Verstappen, who was accompanied by Red Bull race manager Jonathan Wheatley, was summoned to attend or if his team instigated the conference."

There's no way Red Bull called for this "conference" to discuss Mad Max's driving at Spa with Charlie Whiting!

Why would they? - It would show a lack of support in their own driver.

As I understand it, Verstappen has been making statements about how the lack of any penalties being thrown his way concerning his driving standards demonstrates that the stewards have no issues with his driving and shows that it is perfectly acceptable, despite the complaints from the other drivers.

I get the impression that this has irked Charlie Whiting a bit and so he felt it necessary to point out to Verstappen that both he and the stewards are not totally happy with his driving standards, and that the truth is, he was incredibly close to being warned about his driving whilst attempting to defend his position at Spa.

I also suspect that Charlie has some concerns about Verstappen making statements to the press about retaliating to incidents on track by pushing other drivers off track - That's the sort of thing that might occur in the lower Formulas, but it's not acceptable in F1.

My monies on Charlie telling Verstappen that if he continues to perform late swerves into the path of overtaking cars to put them off completing their overtake, or if it's decided that he has deliberately forced another driver off track for any reason, then he will be penalised from now on, and to put him on notice that he is now under the spot light.

Max is a fantastic talent but he needs to realise that this is F1 and not Formula Ford!

11. sammysaber

sammysaber Formula Junior

Dec 21, 2011
    Eddie Jordan asked him on Channel 4 (very directly), and my interpretation was that Whiting has said he's on their radar.

Best,
    Sammy

12. DF1

+1. He is an amazing talent that has been handed F1 far too early. Since he is in F1 he needs to adapt to F1 in some ways as F1 accepts him. I also think the 'conference' puts the Stewards on notice a bit as well. Time will show us as always what changes will have been made.

13. ypsilon

ypsilon F1 Rookie

May 4, 2008
    the Netherlands
    So Whiting has been put under pressure, more of that;

N.Lauda live on RTL+ did the same thing just before Qualy, he's a co-commentator for the German network.

BUT as we know, he's also one of the team principles at Mercedes, so he has two hats on the matter.

Usually he doesn't do interviews, somehow today he did. He asked Whiting if from now on everything is allowed during the race, if the stewards deal with issues after the race.

Seems Verstappens case is now handed over to questionable team politics on the basis of an incident.

14. ypsilon

ypsilon F1 Rookie

May 4, 2008
    the Netherlands
    Too early ? because he's a bit too comfortable in an F1 car ?

What incidents was Schumi involved in ? Vettel <-> Webber for instance ? Villeneuve ?

15. muk_yan_jong

muk_yan_jong Formula Junior

Oct 11, 2008
    Full Name:
    Brian McK
    #291 muk_yan_jong, Sep 3, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 3, 2016
    I think there will be a little bit of give-and-evolve in the near future. Max will soften his style a very small amount to stay off of the rules (masterful really) and some team will figure out the pattern to overcome. The car and driver who can get by him will make for some spectacular driver interactions and technical developments. Dogfighting moves and a car that can handle it? Old days man.

16. gt4me

gt4me F1 Veteran

Sep 10, 2005
    UK
    Full Name:
    Lewis Mitchell
    Agree with this.

17. Bas

Bas Four Time F1 World Champ

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    IMO his only failure are his late blocking moves that we've seen him use last weekend. He's won a race, got a few podiums, has done superb overtaking, and also has done outstanding defending.

I don't think we can conclude that from some exuberant defending that he's not ready for F1 yet.

It's important that he's been spoken to, and that he learns from it.

18. DF1

His words to the press and Kimi in particular way below the level of a professional as his defending is in terms of respect to the other drivers.

I accept he is in F1 and his lack of tact etc are Red Bulls problem now. His problems with the other drivers were settled for now by an intervention by the FIA LOL.

He is not ready for F1 in my view but is there and I accept that.

19. DF1

20. Bas

Bas Four Time F1 World Champ

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    Yes completely agree with how he handled things.

21. ypsilon

ypsilon F1 Rookie

May 4, 2008
    the Netherlands
    #297 ypsilon, Sep 3, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 3, 2016
  22. 4rePhill

4rePhill F1 Veteran

Oct 18, 2009
    Worcester, England
    Full Name:
    Phill J
    If you want them quoting so much, why don't you quote them? :confused:

The fact is, Max's latest spat with Villeneuve, dragging the tragic accidental death of a marshal into the argument to imply that Villeneuve is some sort of killer driver, yet again shows an incredibly immature and disrespectful attitude!

Right now he'd do well to just shut his ******* gob and make an effort to drive to a better standard when defending his position on track! (Which is something his Father should be telling him!)

Getting embroiled in off track controversies to add to his on track controversies is not going to do him any favours whatsoever!

23. moretti

moretti Five Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 1, 2003
    Australia
    Full Name:
    John
    Yep, but I don't think his old man is going to stop his blocking antics.

I can see a big accident coming when someone decides he has moved too many times

24. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006