MCLAREN 720S OR 488 | Page 19 | FerrariChat

MCLAREN 720S OR 488

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by doccharlie954, Jun 7, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. 09Scuderia

09Scuderia Formula 3

Nov 20, 2011
    USA
    Full Name:
    Max
    This and....Ferrari taking us for granted will be coming to an end with the 720 and the new Performante. Ferrari OWNED this space when they rolled out the 458...and then became complacent. Such is the way.

2. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    Can't argue with that.

Most likely we have to wait 2 more years for Ferrari to respond -- then 3 years to get one!

So you can see the appeal of a Mac 720s when you probably can walk into a showroom at some point in the future and drive one home that day having never owned a Mac before.

3. 09Scuderia

09Scuderia Formula 3

Nov 20, 2011
    USA
    Full Name:
    Max
    720s are made to buy used :)

4. REALZEUS

REALZEUS F1 Veteran

Feb 16, 2011
    Bournemouth, UK
    The Performante is the lightweight special (Lambo's Speciale) and the 720 is a new model. When the new Ferrari comes out, the 720 will be the old news. It's a perpetual arms race. Ferrari didn't become complacent, the competition got stronger.

5. rmitchell248

rmitchell248 Formula 3

May 26, 2013
    Nürburg
    Full Name:
    Robert
    The 720 def is quicker than the LT. We are not talking P1 to 458 levels but something in-between. A lot of the autobahn videos are hard to really tell from as the cars are going at different times and nothing is equal. If the LT launches at the same time as the 720 from a roll the 720 will put 2-4 car lengths on it. That is not mind boggling. At these speeds 45 hp is not that much. The LT gets a slight quicker response due to weight and then the 720 comes in w aero and power.

When you're driving at high speed the difference is not enough to feel dramatically. You do however feel it more at low speed which is not where I was comparing. A good example is that on my Quicker laps I was seeing 265-270 just before lifting at SX. In the LT I can achieve the same speed. So at a highspeed portion of the track to be in a similar range shows that the acceleration of the car is not that dramatic vs the other. There was nowhere that I was able to be 15kmh faster.

In fact due to the suspension I was needing to be slower at some of the compressions not to destroy the underside of the 720.

6. kandi

kandi Formula 3

Jun 27, 2014
    +458

Cheers!

7. Jo Sta7

Jo Sta7 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 13, 2015
    Scottsdale/Pittsburgh
    Full Name:
    Jon
    Makes sense. I've yet to drive a 720 but will before year end I believe. Looking forward to it.

8. mik458spider

mik458spider Formula 3

Jan 13, 2013
    Not sure if the 488 Hardcore will be faster than 720S, because last time Speciale was not faster than 650S. IMO, the 488 Hardcore cannot go faster than the Superfast, don't know if that old rule is still on.

9. frefan

frefan F1 Veteran

Apr 21, 2004
    Make sure you drive it in track/track ESC DYN mode. Car really comes alive in that mode. In just normal/sport modes full ESC there's so much tc intervention you're not getting the full power or feel of the cars balance. But you do need to know bit about driving before you do that, otherwise it could be a bit overwhelming.

10. F2003-GA

F2003-GA F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 2, 2003
    Sunbelt
    Full Name:
    Bro
    Well said

11. Shack

Shack F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

May 2, 2005
    Earth
    +1000 and even 2nd hand you will do your $'s BIG TIME (I know this from experience) as Mac will have released 17 different model by the time u get to buy it

12. exoticcardreamer

exoticcardreamer Formula 3

Dec 9, 2014
    usa
    Full Name:
    doesitmatter
    The rise of mclaren is going to affect secondary market for ferrari's.

In a small part of my street (25 house radius)

4 720's on order
    0 have 488
    2 have 458, 2 of them had 458
    1 has 650
    1 has f12
    1 has lambo SV
    1 has 12c

Other exotics too but just keeping to the mclaren/lambo/ferrari

If I expand it to my entire neighborhood then it will go to 7 720's's, 2 488, 5 458's, etc.

Note: the ferrari owners on my small radius would have had no issues in getting a brand new 488 or 488 spider.

13. frefan

frefan F1 Veteran

Apr 21, 2004
    Don't forget Porsche. I bought a new GT3 manual. Its money that may have gone to Ferrari in the past.

14. Shack

Shack F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

May 2, 2005
    Earth
    Wow - must be a good neighborhood :) . Newest toy syndrome, but yes Ferrari need to wake up. However in the secondhand market those buyers in general will go F, L or Pcar not McLaren.

Spot on and having just come out of a GT3RS (into a GT4) I am sure it will be amazing

15. 09Scuderia

09Scuderia Formula 3

Nov 20, 2011
    USA
    Full Name:
    Max
    1) You live in a car nerd rich environment...congrats!
    2) Absolutely correct that used mid engined car values are under assault.
    3) All the fellas with 720s on order in your overall hood will be selling their Ferraris for the Mcs?

I think its stunning that in less than 10 years McLaren has done what they have. From a business perspective, it's truly astonishing.

16. exoticcardreamer

Dec 9, 2014
    usa
    Full Name:
    doesitmatter
    I was just giving a sampling of what's in my neighborhood. My neighborhood has about 500 what I call "big homes". Most don't care for exotic cars.

I get invited to a lot of different car launches by our local dealers and elsewhere. The one thing I find is that it's substantially the same group of people who I will continually see at Mclaren/Ferrari/Lambo events. It's almost like a reunion.

I went to test drive the Chiron; person leaving as I was coming in and person arriving when I was leaving are the same people I see at all the events.

I'm not sure how many "new" people are coming in but rather same group of people buying up the cars across the various marquees.

The teenagers like to play Forza so they know all about mclarens and they tend to influence their parent purchases (two of the 720's I mentioned are directly influenced by the owners kids).

Only one of the 720 owners in my neighborhood are going to trade in a car and that would be their scud. Everyone else it is an addition.

A big reason is availability as some have mentioned. (none of them track (except myself)) and they're not going to be doing airport attack type events so the performance differences isn't a big deal to them.

If you examine the people who are getting 488's or 488 spiders on these forums (not the first year deliveries) and what I know personally then I'd say that demand has been soft (one ferrari purchase over the last several years and they were able to get a 488). The newer owners might just find it easier to get into Mclaren and not wait for a new 488 or bother to buy one on the secondary market.

Supply of exotic cars is going up but not sure if there is new blood coming in that will support a robust secondary market across all marquees.

17. Jo Sta7

Jo Sta7 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 13, 2015
    Scottsdale/Pittsburgh
    Full Name:
    Jon
    Guys, cars are supposed to depreciate in the used market. It's normal. This bubble we were living in where fairly non important cars can appreciate in the used market was insane and if it's coming to an end then great.

18. Jo Sta7

Jo Sta7 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 13, 2015
    Scottsdale/Pittsburgh
    Full Name:
    Jon
    I agree that Ferrari is falling behind. The Superfast is so ugly. I don't care how many hp it has. The 488 is a 650S competitor to me. the 720s has blown it away. I still think the 458/speciale remain great cars wth little competition. The 458 is still relevant against a RWD Huracan.

19. Jo Sta7

Jo Sta7 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 13, 2015
    Scottsdale/Pittsburgh
    Full Name:
    Jon
    Off topic but how was the Chiron? As a P1 owner you're one of the few people who might have been relatively prepare for the acceleration.

20. exoticcardreamer

Dec 9, 2014
    usa
    Full Name:
    doesitmatter
    You know how Al Bundy kept talking about his high school football exploits as his significant life achievement? I'm the same way with p1 vs veyron at shift sector -:)

P1 has traction issue at lower speeds (not an excuse but fact of life).

Chiron was next level. No wheel spin at lower speeds and and awesome power delivery. I wouldn't line up against Chiron at an airport event.

The test driver gave me a dose of acceleration first and my head snapped back and it gave me a headache. I drove it pretty tame when it was my turn because of the headache.

21. Jo Sta7

Jo Sta7 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 13, 2015
    Scottsdale/Pittsburgh
    Full Name:
    Jon
    #471 Jo Sta7, Jul 25, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 25, 2017
    You hit 180 mph at shift sector if im correct. Super quick. What was the Veyron?

Are you thinking about picking up a Chiron? It's a potential 190-195 mph half mile car from what I've been told. My associate who can afford such things was told by Andy wallace that when final preparations are done they're expecting well under 2.5 seconds to 100 kph. Around 6 second to 200 kph and Mid to high 12's to 300 kph. Crazy car.

22. Hoagers

Hoagers Karting

Dec 4, 2016
    +1000 and even 2nd hand you will do your $'s BIG TIME (I know this from experience) as Mac will have released 17 different model by the time u get to buy it

And clearly you can back your claim with facts such as defining what the resale has been on the 720S? Please share with us you're experience with reselling your 720S... you speak with such certainty on something that has literally just been released

Next please share with us the 17 MC models you speak of? I must have missed just a few but you were a Mc owner so you must know more than I on their line-up

You do realize this isn't a MP4C right? Just checking as your clear lack of accuracy seems rather extreme.

23. exoticcardreamer

Dec 9, 2014
    usa
    Full Name:
    doesitmatter
    yeah; 179.7 to be exact. I wouldn't doubt a 190-195 with chiron over half a mile.

veyron max trap was 173 and he was having significant traction issues off the line.

In roll races at 50 mph the veyron beat 918 by half a car length but I beat veyron pretty handily.

On the back straight at COTA I hit 181 mph. Will go out there again once one of my friends gets his chiron and we will see how we both do as we are coming off that last corner. -:)

24. Jo Sta7

Jo Sta7 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 13, 2015
    Scottsdale/Pittsburgh
    Full Name:
    Jon
    No doubt P1 is the monster of the hybrids from a roll. 918 driver must have been sleeping to lose to the Veyron ;). 918 is a 175ish car in the half. P1 is 180ish. Do you have any idea what Laferrari or Veyron SS has done? I'd think a Veyron SS should be about 180. LAF somewhere between a 918 and P1.

25. frefan

frefan F1 Veteran

Apr 21, 2004
    Seeing how everything that can be said about 720 vs 488 has already been said...

I do think in a couple years McLaren will win the drag race war of road legal cars, I realize not everyone is into that but there some of who are, and I think they will blow it away.