MCLAREN 720S OR 488 | Page 23 | FerrariChat

MCLAREN 720S OR 488

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by doccharlie954, Jun 7, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. spourreza

spourreza Formula Junior

Dec 28, 2013
    Mount Olive Twp, NJ
    Full Name:
    S.Pourreza

Didn't Ferrari whip up a spider very close to the introduction of the 488 coup? They are going to create excess supply of the coup with spider out already. They took the playbook from McLaren

2. frefan

frefan F1 Veteran

Apr 21, 2004
    As far as 675LT vs 720s goes I do prefer the 675LT. The cars a very different; the LT is more playful whereas the 720S is more capable. I love the looks of both; driving wise I'm happy with the LT. I passed on the first 720S in CA because I can't get it in time for a couple of track events, and I'm not crazy about the way the early cars are specced. I'm ordering a 720S for next year but definitely keeping the LT.

It's the same old argument, 488 vs Speciale, does 488 blow the Speciale away? Depends on your definition I guess. One doesn't have to take away from the other in order for it to be fun or good.

3. mik458spider

mik458spider Formula 3

Jan 13, 2013
    So true. The performante is like how to make a car run faster in the good old days, no extra boost, just make it corners faster with downforce and lighter weight. I bet it will smoke 720 or even P1 or LaF in Ring's lap time.

4. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    I didn't care for the Huracan but the Performante is really interesting. Perhaps the first Lambo since the Countach I would like to own.

5. F2003-GA

F2003-GA F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 2, 2003
    Sunbelt
    Full Name:
    Bro
    How about a Performante Spider :)

6. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    That would do it but I think they will build them in low numbers if they do it.

I don't like these limited edition "collector cars". I'd rather just drive them like any other car from the factory.

Ferrari should have made more 16M's that would have filled the market. They are too expensive / valuable now too drive. It's a pity because the Scud is that good but not "collectable" at all.

7. F2003-GA

F2003-GA F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 2, 2003
    Sunbelt
    Full Name:
    Bro
    At least Sergio is increasing the availability some more - But you're right it's
    more satisfying to drive them than worry about collectability

8. 09Scuderia

09Scuderia Formula 3

Nov 20, 2011
    USA
    Full Name:
    Max
    Owning an Aventador Roadster and considering adding a 720....or a Performante....

I would never consider the 720s a competitor for the Aventador. Tho I do see why others may...HP etc.

The 720 sits in the market is a weird place. Like the Aventador the 720s punches above its weight.

I will humbly suggest that the market is (too) full of cars in the mid $300s. Folks who may not have considered a (used) Aventador will before they write the check for a mid $300s 720...or 488. All of these low to mid $300s mass produced cars may put a floor under the Aventadors.

An Aventador Roadster is (IMO) unrivaled. Go drive one. The emotional appeal (to me) is unmatched.

I would also suggest that the Huracan Performante is a historical super/ sports car benchmark where the 720s and the 488 are more mass produced luxury items. The Performante resets the bar when it comes to a track car that is street-able. Beating the 918 by 5 seconds for a low $300s car is moving the game on. The fact that the Huracan has old school v10...and looks like a Miura/ Countach mash up can't be ignored.

Whatever I add to the stable will be used. The depreciation on these things has become incredible. If one is to have a really dumb hobby of loving cars he should at least try to feign being smart by buying used. Besides, its an easier sale to the wife when you can show her that you are getting your new toy for $100k off and it nearly new condition!

9. 09Scuderia

09Scuderia Formula 3

Nov 20, 2011
    USA
    Full Name:
    Max
    Same buyer?

I don't think so.

10. Jo Sta7

Jo Sta7 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 13, 2015
    Scottsdale/Pittsburgh
    Full Name:
    Jon
    Wise buyer. I've driven Aventador a handful of times. Imo it's not a good car to drive. Looks and sounds nice though.

11. F2003-GA

F2003-GA F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 2, 2003
    Sunbelt
    Full Name:
    Bro
    Well said my friend

12. noone1

noone1 F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jan 21, 2008
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Avenatdor is just way too expensive IMO. They ask like $500-600K for the top end models. That's nuts IMO. No way is the Huracan cannibalizing those sales. The prices are waaaay too far apart.

I also don't believe the Huracan will beat a 918 anywhere in real tests. Their NR car was far from normal.

13. xskier

xskier Formula Junior

Mar 2, 2013
    Performante will not even be close in real world test vs 918
    on track. I go so far that the 720s and 991 Gt2 Rs will be ahead of the performante
    (costumers spec) when it comes to track time..

14. Jo Sta7

Jo Sta7 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 13, 2015
    Scottsdale/Pittsburgh
    Full Name:
    Jon
    If someone said to you, you can have a special edition car by Lamborghini that'll drive better than the Aventador, be quicker than the Aventador, sound as good, get you just as much attention but cost half as much, you'd buy that. The HP leaves no real reason to buy an Aventador S in my eyes.

15. Jo Sta7

Jo Sta7 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 13, 2015
    Scottsdale/Pittsburgh
    Full Name:
    Jon
    It better be on par or ahead of those two cars, because a 6:52 on NRing is no joke to flaunt and 100% has to translate to other tracks. Unfortunately the 6:59 by their SV didn't translate which makes me not believe it for a second.

16. REALZEUS

REALZEUS F1 Veteran

Feb 16, 2011
    Bournemouth, UK
    #566 REALZEUS, Jul 31, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 31, 2017
    Haven't driven the S, but they say it's a marked improvement over the older Aventador. The main reason though for buying this car is the engine. Nothing beats an Italian N/A V12, except another Italian N/A V12 made by Ferrari!

17. SoCal to az

SoCal to az F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2012
    Arizona
    The Aventador is a great head turner but certainly not the best driver by any means.

18. noone1

noone1 F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jan 21, 2008
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Mike
    I would jump on that in a heartbeat. Do you know anyone making such a car?

An Aventador coupe looks about 4x as good as a Huracan, sounds better, and has more than enough performance. It's not even close in terms of appeal.

A 2012 Avenatdor coupe will still cost you more than a brand new Performante today and there is a reason. Aventador might not drive as well, but it's definitely way cooler at the end of the day and the prices speak for themselves.

19. Coincid

Coincid F1 Rookie

Dec 9, 2014
    Canada
    Kindly advise your experience with actually driving these cars. How much time have you spent in the 720 and Aventador and which model of Aventador did you drive?

20. 09Scuderia

09Scuderia Formula 3

Nov 20, 2011
    USA
    Full Name:
    Max
    V12. CF tub. Design that never gets old...list goes on.

Aventadors are not competitors with Huracans. Not even close. Aventadors are in an entirely different league. No one is buying a new Huracan over a new Aventador if they have the money...

21. ekovalsky

ekovalsky Karting

Jun 17, 2017
    Arizona & Montana
    Full Name:
    Eric
    It definitely does.

I think there are many reasons why the 720S coupe is well worth the premium over the 570S/GT:

New exterior design - more reminiscent of a Pagani or F1 than modern Macca cars
    New interior design - significant improvement in materials, spaciousness, and infotainment/nav system
    Active hydraulic suspension
    Active aerodynamics
    Monocage II - allows use of glass in C-pillars, dihedral doors extending into the roof with available gorilla glass tops, and much lower tub lip; altogether these greatly enhance visibility and ease of entry/exit compared to previous models
    Power - stock 720S dyno'd at 698 whp (hence the 1/4 mi trap @ 146 mph), versus 532 whp for the 570S; engine/software got a lot more reworking than the apparent 3.8L > 4L stroking

Unlike the 570S, the Spider version of the 720 will inevitably lose some of the coupe's benefits since it will presumably revert back to the carbon fiber tub. And the coupe basically offers a fixed glass panorama roof when ordered with the 'glazed' door tops, somewhat diminishing the value of the drop top. For these reasons, I don't think the 720 Spider will affect the coupe value to the degree of the MP4, 650S, and now 570S, none of which had a glass top option or ever needed a roof. Only the 570GT has been offered with an optional glass pano roof.

Since it is a regular production car, prices will drop when dealers have sitting inventory, or there is another car in the mid-$300 range that is serious competition... I don't see either happening for at least 18 months. Thereafter, release of the 750 LT should increase the supply of pre-owned vehicles, as most buyers will probably be coming from a 720S. I am expecting the LT variant to have a more aggressive body kit, larger wing with more downforce, roof scoop a la 675LT MSO, more power, and less weight - it should be amazing although likely less usable.

22. Jo Sta7

Jo Sta7 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 13, 2015
    Scottsdale/Pittsburgh
    Full Name:
    Jon
    CF tub (weighs over 4,000 pounds). V10's sound even sweeter to my ear than v12's. Design is great I agree. And what else is on the list? I could afford either and I wouldn't look twice at an Aventador S over a Huracan P.

23. 458trofeo

458trofeo F1 Rookie

Feb 4, 2013
    City of Angels
    Full Name:
    101 aki
    After having extensively driven both versions of the 488, I would choose the 720
    over both in a heartbeat; provided I can keep my 458 ;)

The reason is that I feel the 488 series has nothing to offer another marque
    cannot, plus save a ton of cash, get the cool doors and hopefully not get
    bored of the car after a few months of ownership as I bet most 488 owners
    will - but will reluctantly admit..

Oh an probably leave stock 488's in the dust as a bonus :D

very best

24. 09Scuderia

09Scuderia Formula 3

Nov 20, 2011
    USA
    Full Name:
    Max
    not both?

25. LVP488

LVP488 F1 Rookie

Jan 21, 2017
    France
    For the record, I am not bored of the 488 after two years. And if I'd like an old fashioned car I'd rather have a manual 355 than a 458.
    The 458 is no match for the 488, if the appeal is about nostalgia for older technology and performance is no object let's go for the real thing with a 355.