Mclaren Honda heading for a divorce for 2018 | Page 6 | FerrariChat

Mclaren Honda heading for a divorce for 2018

Discussion in 'F1' started by jgonzalesm6, May 13, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. P.Singhof

P.Singhof F1 Rookie

Apr 19, 2006
    Stuttgart, Germany
    Full Name:
    Peter Singhof
    Does not help McLaren for 2018....

2. william

william Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006
    My understanding is that, apart from car production under its own brand, Porsche is still an automotive consultant and works for other car makers that are not part of the VW group.

I think that it is kept confidential (like for Riccardo and Lotus in UK), but Porsche design office has clients in the Far East, even some in Europe, and the US, I have read. Not so long ago, for example, Porsche was behind the design of the Harley Davidson Street Rod engine.
    I even read that Porsche was consulted recently by a US aircraft engine manufacturer in the design of their products.

So, I cannot see why they couldn't agree - for the right price - to design a F1 engine for a third party, to be badged by a sponsor. There would be must to gain, that I can't see why VW would object to that!

3. jgonzalesm6

jgonzalesm6 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2016
    Corpus Christi, Tx.
    Full Name:
    Joe R Gonzales
    Mercedes/Renault probably might???....for the meantime

4. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006
    +1

5. 444sp

444sp Formula Junior

Dec 18, 2016
    This is a pity that the F1 has so limited rules that only admit 1.6 V6 Turbo, the Porsche 2.0 V4 turbo hybrid of the 919 lmp1 would be a fantastic engine for the MC Laren.

6. frefan

frefan F1 Veteran

Apr 21, 2004
    You can thank Renault for that

7. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    Apparently the Honda and Merc engines are very similar. Its easier to switch to Merc power than Renault or Ferrari (not that Ferrari would ever give them a motor).

But I still think Honda and Mac are going to be together longer than people say they are. I don't believe the break up this year at all. I do think Alonso may go though.

Zak Brown says the lack of sponsorship is causing a financial crisis that its greater than the money Honda is giving them. It's hard to believe considering they are getting engines for free and 1/2 the driver salary paid. True, no points at all will hurt them financially but they've had chances for points several times this year. It's not like they are running dead last at the end of the races.

To me getting off Honda's gravy train is the biggest problem, not the mechanical or political issues.

8. frefan

frefan F1 Veteran

Apr 21, 2004
    Ferrari makes engines not motors, just saying

I still think sauber is in play, hard to see mac going back to merc just a guess

9. Igor Ound

Igor Ound F1 Veteran

Sep 30, 2012
    The Horn
    Full Name:
    Igor Ound
  10. NEP

NEP F1 Rookie

Jul 19, 2010
    On Earth
    Full Name:
    Nigel
    JUNE 19, 2017

Honda to deliver engine upgrade in Baku?

Honda looks set to deliver a much-needed engine upgrade this weekend in Baku.

In Canada just over a week ago, McLaren chiefs admitted their frustration was at boiling point after the team's hapless Japanese partner failed to deliver the upgrade as scheduled.

Honda's F1 chief Yusuke Hasegawa then said he could not promise it will even be ready for the following race in Azerbaijan.

But he has now told the Japanese publication Sportiva: "There will be some kind of improvement in the combustion engine in Baku.

"I don't know if you can call it specification three, but we'll definitely introduce something even if it is intermediate," Hasegawa added.

The report said Honda has been working hard on 'specification three' at Sakura to address the current power unit's problems, including excessive vibration and a 90hp performance deficit.

But Hasegawa played down hopes the new engine will completely end Honda's 2017 troubles.

"If you improve the combustion engine, the temperature of the exhaust decreases by being more efficient, which reduces the energy recovered through the turbo and MGU-H, making it necessary to change these parts too.

"The situation is more complicated than people can imagine," he added.

The outcome of Honda's latest efforts to improve could be the final straw for the McLaren partnership, and also the next turning point in the career of Fernando Alonso.

"Due to some of his decisions, Fernando could be remembered as one of the lost talents of F1," former Honda F1 team boss Nick Fry is quoted by Spain's La Sexta.

11. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006
    Anything can happen in F1, and it sometimes does ...

In the 60s and 70s, I never thought in a million years that Ferrari would ever supply engines to "garagists" (as the Old Man used to call the independent teams which he despised), yet the Scuderia did just that with Minardi, Prost, Manor, Sauber, etc...

In the 50s, following a misunderstanding early in his career, Stirling Moss and Ferrari were like enemies, with the Brit lending his skills to any team that could beat the cars from Maranello (Maserati, Mercedes, Vanwall, Cooper, Lotus).

Yet in 1962, after the Englishman convincingly humiliated his cars twice the previous year, Enzo Ferrari invited Moss for a meeting and some tests. Moss agreed to drive a Ferrari in future (albeit under Rob Walker's colour). Later on Moss had the Goodwood accident that shortened his career, and the deal never came through.

So, Hamilton at Ferrari is improbable, but one never know ...

12. P.Singhof

P.Singhof F1 Rookie

Apr 19, 2006
    Stuttgart, Germany
    Full Name:
    Peter Singhof
    Why should they play filler???

13. Bas

Bas Four Time F1 World Champ

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    And Mercedes.

14. 444sp

444sp Formula Junior

Dec 18, 2016
  15. Igor Ound

Igor Ound F1 Veteran

Sep 30, 2012
    The Horn
    Full Name:
    Igor Ound
    $$$

Although it's hard to see where Mclaren would get the money from if Honda pulls the plug, they come close to last in the championship, they have no pay drivers, they need to pay Alonso and still have close to no sponsors.

That's why I think they'll stay with Honda, especially if the engine upgrade finally gives slightly better results.

16. PSk

PSk F1 World Champ

Nov 20, 2002
    Tauranga, NZ
    Full Name:
    Pete
    +1

I've noticed that with F1 there is a lot of almost journalists that continue to turn out empty stories. It is disappointing, but I guess they have mortgages.
    Pete

17. NEP

NEP F1 Rookie

Jul 19, 2010
    On Earth
    Full Name:
    Nigel
    JUNE 21, 2017

McLaren deal not Mercedes priority says Wolff

Toto Wolff is still reluctant to talk about the possibility of Mercedes supplying customer engines to McLaren next year.

It is now very possible that McLaren and its hapless works supplier Honda will split, and Mercedes has been mentioned as the most likely alternative for the once-great British team.

But Mercedes chief Wolff is quoted by Spain's Marca sports newspaper: "If you are considering a new girlfriend, you first want the couple to divorce before jumping into bed.

"It's not our priority at the moment," he added.

"The most important thing is for Honda to improve, to continue in the sport and to have a good deal with its customers or teams. We do not want to interfere at this stage," said Wolff.

18. furoni

furoni F1 World Champ

Jun 6, 2011
    Vila Verde
    Full Name:
    Pedro Braga Soares
    No, but pehaps is Mclaren's priority...

19. Flavio_C

Flavio_C Formula 3
    BANNED

Sep 7, 2012
    Insubria
    For the good of the sport, if I were Chase Carey, I would try to influence as much as I could to make this Mclaren-Mercedes deal to happen. Can you imagine what Alonso could do with a Mercedes engine? Fernando needs a chance and it would be wonderful to see Hamilton, Vettel, and Alonso battling for victory!

20. Ferrari 308 GTB

Ferrari 308 GTB F1 Veteran

Feb 21, 2015
    Tropical
    If i were Toto this would not even get off the ground..not to mention MB top management who dont want anything to do with Alonso

21. sp1der

sp1der F1 Rookie

Jan 10, 2009
    UK
    Full Name:
    Simon Ashley
    More or less confirmed back of the grid starts this week-end due to engine and related part penalties.

22. 375+

375+ F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2005
    I'm sure that MB management is weary of life with Lewis as well. Bottas must seem like a breath of fresh air, low maintenance.

23. ELP_JC

ELP_JC Formula 3

Dec 13, 2008
    This is a bit off topic, but still related. Can somebody enlighten me why McLaren seems to be begging MB for engines, when they now compete with them with their street cars? If I were them, I rather not compete at all than using a competitor's engine (even when they used MB engines before). But maybe there's something I'm missing. Their cars are currently using Ricardo engines, and have proven very reliable. They tried Honda again and failed. Did they try Porsche again? At any rate, it's my understanding even if MB supplies them with engines, they'd never win another championship, since they're inferior to the MB team engines, so why bother? Sorry for the rant, but just don't get it at the moment.

24. jgonzalesm6

jgonzalesm6 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2016
    Corpus Christi, Tx.
    Full Name:
    Joe R Gonzales
    Mclaren street cars do not compete with Mercedes Benz street cars. If anything, Mclaren street cars compete with the likes of Ferrari.

As to why MB F1 would supply Mclaren F1 with its engines knowing all-the-while these MB F1 engines are somewhat "inferior/re-mapped" to that of the ones being used by MB F1 is strictly two fold: 1.) MB sells ($$$$) these re-mapped engines to Mclaren 2.) Mclaren, with these re-mapped MB F1 engines moves from last place to 3 or 4th place in the constructors which means money $$$$$. Its a win-win for everyone.

25. ELP_JC

ELP_JC Formula 3

Dec 13, 2008
    Of course they do. At least the AMG GT S is a direct competitor of McLaren's 570S. And I'd say the GT R competes with the 650S, since the Porsche Turbo is considered a competitor as well. At any rate, you made a good point, but don't get why a previous championship winner would just settle to be a 'mid-pack' competitor, knowing they just can't win. Thanks for your input; appreciated.