Mille Miglia 2010 | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Mille Miglia 2010

Discussion in 'Vintage (thru 365 GTC4)' started by 275gtb6c, Oct 14, 2009.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Latsyrc

Latsyrc F1 Rookie

Jun 23, 2008
    Utah, USA
    Full Name:
    Travis
    Attending the MM has been a dream of mine for a while. I doubt I could ever drive it, but attending/viewing from some cities would be wonderful. I can understand wanting to keep the modern era separate from historical, but aren't they running at different times anyway? A drive in a modern car would be nice, but I can't imagine anything comparing to the drive in a historic. Best of luck to all who are going, and I'll be waiting for the picture thread again. :)

2. Napolis

Napolis Three Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary Owner

Oct 23, 2002
    Full Name:
    Jim Glickenhaus
    #27 Napolis, Oct 17, 2009
    Last edited: Oct 17, 2009
    There have been fatal crashes on the MM revival.

Harlan Schwartz
    Year of death: 2004
    Race: XXII Mille Miglia Storica

3. Julio Batista

Julio Batista Formula 3

Dec 22, 2005
    Also William Schanbacher in 1990.

4. 275gtb6c

275gtb6c Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 30, 2006
    europe
    Full Name:
    oscar
  5. omd78

omd78 F1 World Champ

Dec 26, 2005
    Breda, Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Martin
    Go guys!

Gr. Martin

6. jjmcd

jjmcd Formula Junior

Dec 3, 2004
    #31 jjmcd, Nov 3, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    It turns out that the Sunbeam Rapier has quite a following. Check out their club website:

http://www.sunbeams92.com/page7.html#FBsale

This one needs a little work but you can't beat the price...

http://www.autabuy.com/Vehicles/Details.cfm?VID=38116&Year=1957&Make=SUNBEAM&Model=RAPIER

Here is a rally-spec one:

http://www.classiccarsforsale.co.uk/classic-car-page.php/carno/70687
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

7. Julio Batista

Julio Batista Formula 3

Dec 22, 2005
    I contemplated taking a break this year, but my brother has just convinced me that come May I would regret it.

So... See you in Brescia (if our car is accepted of course)!

Cheers,

Julio

8. Blackspider

Blackspider Karting

Mar 2, 2004
    will be doing the tourist bit next year, accomodation and ferries booked. might bump into some of you that are going.

Anyone thought of doing the Coppa delle Dolomiti at all? Seems a less frantic event with excellent driving?

9. w.Hudkins

w.Hudkins Karting

May 16, 2006
    Indiana
    Full Name:
    William Todd Hudkins
    I attended the 2009 MM... My opinion, No modern cars. I think you stat to lose something and other than the outside door decal I would have trouble knowing the difference between a commuter from an entrant.

10. elads

elads Formula Junior

Dec 29, 2004
    israel
    Full Name:
    elad
    Just finished the application process.
    hopeful lets see...

elad

11. Bill_OBrien

Bill_OBrien Formula Junior

Oct 28, 2004
    Houston, TX
    Full Name:
    Bill O'Brien
  12. Arvin Grajau

Arvin Grajau Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 7, 2006
    Wurundjeri man.
    Full Name:
    Arvin Grajau
  13. donv

donv Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 5, 2002
    Portland, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Don
    What are the main considerations in getting accepted?

I see there is an Ellena for sale with modern Mille Miglia history-- would a car like that be more or less likely to be accepted?

14. The Red Baron

The Red Baron Formula 3

Jan 3, 2005
    Full Name:
    Warren
    You would probably eventually get accepted. Unlikely with the first application though.

15. tynelea

tynelea Karting

Jun 22, 2008

We shall see......

16. 275gtb6c

275gtb6c Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 30, 2006
    europe
    Full Name:
    oscar
    from 1000miglia.eu
    Yet another boom in registration this year for the Mille Miglia 2010. 1400 cars applied from six continents to enter the “world’s greatest road race”. “We are really quite satisfied. Entry requests have greatly increased in the last two years.” commented Alessandro Casali, the President of the Organizing Committee of the Mille Miglia. “But even more important”, added Sandro Binelli, the Secretary General of the Committee, “is the extraordinary ‘quality’ of the cars taking part in the 2010 regularity race. We are pleased that our appeal to classic car collectors requesting them to offer up some different models as candidates in this year’s race, was received with enthusiasm.” The cars, and their owners, will have to wait until after February 1, 2010 for the confirmation of their successful application, which will be communicated directly to them.

So 1400 subscriptions, 375 places, 100 sponsors, 100 important people, 100 italians......75 left for us..Odds are getting smaller...
    ciao
    Oscar

17. elads

elads Formula Junior

Dec 29, 2004
    israel
    Full Name:
    elad
    #42 elads, Jan 12, 2010
    Last edited: Jan 12, 2010
    Interesting...

how much credit (if any) do the give cars that have done multiple MM historic and are eligible this year as well? does it increase/decrease/or nothing the chances wise?

My car is 1955, right smack in the "to be reduced" time bracket according the the website.

Any thoughts?

Elad

18. 275gtb6c

275gtb6c Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 30, 2006
    europe
    Full Name:
    oscar
    Hi Elad,

where did you find the "1955 cars reduces chances issue"? What car did you subscribe? With a Fiat 500 or Porsche 365 chances are rather low I understood as many subscribed with those and only a few allowed.
    What I understand that they want to shift cars, so people were asked (and that I can confirm) to subscribe with an other car than last year. How many people have multiple MM eligible cars? Well I know some, but not me....

ciao
    Oscar

19. elads

elads Formula Junior

Dec 29, 2004
    israel
    Full Name:
    elad
    #44 elads, Jan 12, 2010
    Hallo

To your first question pls see the table at the bottom of this link:
    http://www.1000miglia.eu
    Go to 2010 link ,then click the program to drivers and cars, then acceptance of cars, then look at the bottom of that page.

Clearly less 1953 and older cars.

My car last did the MM in 2004.

Its a 1955 OSCA MT4 - TN

i am restoring another MM car, but to be honest, for my first MM rather do it in a barchetta, then a coupe. The other (coupe) car should have no issue getting accepted...

rgds

20. 275gtb6c

275gtb6c Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 30, 2006
    europe
    Full Name:
    oscar
    Thanks for that info, I did not know this. The chance being accepted in a Osca MT4 is quite good I think, these are very nice cars and not too many in the rally. I am of course curious what car the coupe is...Driving the MM in a barchetta is the best I've heard, although in the mountains we were happy that our windows could be shut.
    For me it is not bad news, as my car is from 1951,

ciao
    Oscar

21. PSk

PSk F1 World Champ

Nov 20, 2002
    Tauranga, NZ
    Full Name:
    Pete
    #46 PSk, Jan 12, 2010
    Amen.

Sorry, don't want to offend but anybody that runs the modern MM and thinks they are doing the same as say Ascari or Stirling Moss is completely fooling himself. Those guys were not just trying to get an old car to the finish line, they were RACING and flying, facing incredible dangers to themselves and the crazy spectators.

I have 2 wonderful books on the original race thanks to my wife, and one or both start of with a very insightful passage by the author stating effectively what I have just said above.

We also have to remember that the Mille Miglia was created to improve roads in struggling Italy and also to advance the automobile (which it did very well and is probably why Italian cars are very strong and heavy, ie. to handle the sub standard roads of the period).

Thus the roads are completely different (as are Australias roads compared to the 50's), you are not racing (and should not be) and the poor old cars have absolutely nothing to prove because unlike in the old days they are no longer flying the "look how clever my manufacturer is" flag of cutting edge technology.

Again, as I've said before, ALL forms of historic and classic motorracing should be taken as participation of a fun event that bears absolutely nothing to the original and thus the cars should be driven but extremely simpathetically AND importantly driver egos should take a back seat big time as the crowds want to see and hear the cars. There is nothing to gain from smashing a 50's Ferrari/Alfa Romeo, etc. into a wall trying to gain 1 second on the guy in front (which was what it was all about when it was real) ... crowd won't approve (except for a few weird English types that seem to love seeing old cars driven until destroyed) and the poor car did not deserve that.
    Pete
    ps: Wish I could do the modern MM event too, but I'd be touring and waving at the crowd and taking in the scenary, and simply wondering what it would have been like 50+ years ago.

22. JazzyO

JazzyO F1 World Champ

Jan 14, 2007
    The Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Onno
    #47 JazzyO, Jan 13, 2010
    Last edited: Jan 13, 2010
    Very nice! Love OSCA's.

Don't mean to offend either, but I would be surprised if that was the case. I think it is far more likely these guys just wanted to organise a race of attrition that was daring and would be a true accomplishment to finish. To think there were lofty goals seems a bit too much credit for me. I can see the old fogeys in my head at the 1955 start line saying to each other "you know, back in the day, when we did this 28 years ago, it was a REAL race! The roads make it too easy nowadays!". :)

But the spirit of your post is completely correct IMO. I think we should view the modern Mille Miglia as a tribute to the old one. It is full of Italian passion for motorsport, but a hot-blooded race it is not. How should we then see the new MM Tribute? Well, I guess it should have been called the MM Tribute Tribute... :)

BTW - I'm amazed at the entries, Oscar. Makes me wonder how many cars were entered for the Tribute....

Onno

23. PSk

PSk F1 World Champ

Nov 20, 2002
    Tauranga, NZ
    Full Name:
    Pete
    I almost quoting the author of the 2 Mille Miglia books I have. But yes the 3 (I think) guys who started it were obviously race nutters, but to make it happen they had to get government support, etc. and it did lead to much improved roads. If I can find time I'll find the passage and quote it direct.

Best
    Pete

24. ColdWater

ColdWater Formula Junior

Aug 19, 2006
    bicoastal USA
  25. ross

ross Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 25, 2002
    houston/geneva
    Full Name:
    Ross
    i loved the targa florio last year.
    i dont yet have a mm eligible car, but if anybody needs a co-driver that can handle a car, speaks italian, and is willing to do the dirty work, send me a mail !