Miura SV (rear) tire options (for SV wheels on an S) | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Miura SV (rear) tire options (for SV wheels on an S)

Discussion in 'LamborghiniChat.com' started by Spinto, Mar 18, 2013.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Spinto

Spinto Rookie

Apr 19, 2009
    San Francisco, CA
    Hey now, the last time I drove a Miura was in the rain. I did not, however, use the wipers. The car didn't melt either.

2. leonetti

leonetti Karting

Oct 22, 2004
    Woodinville
    Full Name:
    Mike Leonetti
    Originally Posted by joe sackey
    When Pirelli announced the new CN12s, they mentioned that the Miura is "currently one of the most sought-after collector’s vehicles" http://www.pirelli.com/tyre/ww/en/news/2012/05/28/cinturato™-cn12-revamped-for-lamborghini-miura/ and perhaps they had this in mind when they priced the tires. I for one am grateful they have re-made these after waiting 20 years, and, yes, I bought a set.

So, I'm now resigned to buy a set for #4039. The car has the SV rims and my local Lamborghini dealer is quoting $8,204.00 plus tax. In the thread, I'm seeing pricing less then that. Can my dealer be adding even more profit? I've asked for a confirmation of the date code on the tires and information as to number of tires run. So far, no response.

Am I asking for too much here? Joe, would you share your tire's date code?

Thanks,

Mike

3. joe sackey

joe sackey Five Time F1 World Champ
    Sponsor

May 23, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joe Sackey
    Mike, mine are August 2012 so there must have been a run then. I thought they were $7,000 and the only way to find out if this is not a price increase but a markup is to call another dealer & compare.

4. BlueBiturbo

BlueBiturbo F1 Rookie

May 19, 2004
    Jakarta
    Full Name:
    TS
    #29 BlueBiturbo, May 14, 2013
    Last edited: May 14, 2013
    $16k for a set of 5 Pirelli Scorpion Zero 345/60-17.
    For a $125k-$150k LM002.
    Now what is the rationality behind that?

I am glad the car does not deserve a $10 per liter fuel as the tank is 290 liters :p

Any help finding a set without that stupid price tag is highly appreciated.
    These tyred used to be $1500 each, then drop to $700 each. Now it is s set for $16k.

5. xs10shl

xs10shl Formula 3

Dec 17, 2003
    San Francisco
    Lamborghini Los Gatos just gave me a quote $2000 higher than what you were quoted 4 months ago. Same store, higher price. Or else factory is raising prices.

6. xs10shl

xs10shl Formula 3

Dec 17, 2003
    San Francisco
    Update: just got a message that they can honor the $7500 price point. Honestly, it's still high enough to make me hesitate, but I suppose they'll be usable til 2020, at least. So that's roughly $1000/year, ugh.

I've got BF Goodrich Comp T/As on it now, which is a pretty great tire - very sticky, but lowers the profile. I've found they work very well on an S with 9" rears, due to their lowered sidewall profile Too bad they are no longer made.

Anyone have any other reports on how good a tire the new reproduction CN12s are on the street?

7. V-TWELVE

V-TWELVE Formula 3

Jan 1, 2007
    Vancouver, BC
    The cost of these tires is just simple supply and demand. It must be a complete pain in the butt for a big company like Pirelli to even bother to do a small run of a certain old rare tire. How many they sell has a lot to do with the price and it is not lost on them that these tires are going on some very high dollar cars. It is in Pirellis best interest to produce the tires as it helps to preserve the heritage they have with these old supercars.

8. joe sackey

joe sackey Five Time F1 World Champ
    Sponsor

May 23, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joe Sackey
    Exactly.

9. Speedy2

Speedy2 Karting

Mar 4, 2007
    I was talking by phone just yesterday about these tires with Jeff S. He commented that he had been told the "Pirelli Cinturato" side markings had not been molded into the side walls of these new production tires. Any truth to this? Doesn't make much sense to me that this could happen but I said I'd ask. If someone has a set of these a couple of pics fronts/rears would sure be nice.

10. xs10shl

xs10shl Formula 3

Dec 17, 2003
    San Francisco
    #35 xs10shl, Jul 19, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    I was all set to purchase, but i discovered Pirelli also marked the tires in an unfortunate manner. I'm checking to see if the markings appear on both sidewalls.

To points made by others, its one thing to have the right tires on a million dollar car for shows. Yet another to have large warning labels reminding you that, in the end, they are not period after all.

It makes me wonder if they are even the right height (not the right size, but the right tallness, that these tires are supposed to have). Anyone have info on this?
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

11. Speedy2

Speedy2 Karting

Mar 4, 2007

Interesting picture and thanks for posting. Is the same "vintage car" warning on both sides of the tire? sure hope not! sounds like the tire has no speed rating. what about the cinturato script?? thanks again

12. V-TWELVE

V-TWELVE Formula 3

Jan 1, 2007
    Vancouver, BC
    Pretty lame for Pirelli to put that on their tires. At least they didn't put "FOR DISPLAY ONLY". It really does make me wonder about the quality.

13. ApexOversteer

ApexOversteer F1 Veteran

Feb 15, 2007
    Smoky Mountains, TN
    Full Name:
    T.A. Bell
    It has a speed rating, right there... VR...

14. xs10shl

xs10shl Formula 3

Dec 17, 2003
    San Francisco
    "VR" for "Vintage Roadshow", LOL

15. jollygood

jollygood Formula 3

Oct 24, 2005
    Full Name:
    jollygood
    Or Very Rare...

16. alberto

alberto Formula 3

Aug 25, 2001
    San Diego
    Full Name:
    Alberto
    Ahh, jeezzz, why the hell would they do that? Can it be shaved off somehow?

As to size, someone elsewhere reported that they were too tall and caused interference with the rear clam shell. That said, I have not verified it myself and the calculations I made about diameter indicate that they should be the same diameter as the originals. In terms of sidewall height.

Can you measure the diameter and post it? I can compare to an original set for both diameter and sidewall height.

17. xs10shl

xs10shl Formula 3

Dec 17, 2003
    San Francisco
    This is a picture taken by the distributor. I've got a request in for dimensions, will post when I hear more.

18. xs10shl

xs10shl Formula 3

Dec 17, 2003
    San Francisco
    Sadly I'm being told that "FOR VINTAGE CAR ONLY" appears on both sides of the side wall. Pity.

19. jollygood

jollygood Formula 3

Oct 24, 2005
    Full Name:
    jollygood

Does this mean that tire is not V-rated?

20. I take it as "We will make the tire, however no warranty whatsoever".

21. V-TWELVE

V-TWELVE Formula 3

Jan 1, 2007
    Vancouver, BC
    It still has a V speed rating on the side.

22. V-TWELVE

V-TWELVE Formula 3

Jan 1, 2007
    Vancouver, BC
    I take it to mean that you can only use them after your car is at least 25 years old. Then it is ok! This is likely the handy work of a lawyer fearful of his own shadow.

23. Napolis

Napolis Three Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary Owner

Oct 23, 2002
    Full Name:
    Jim Glickenhaus
    I agree with Lucas.

For real driving I'd get the Avons. We use them on our Le Mans cars on the street. They are very good and safe.

Get the exact dimensions and see if the rear will fit.

As per Joe I'd get a set of original Pirelli for show.

24. jollygood

jollygood Formula 3

Oct 24, 2005
    Full Name:
    jollygood

So if car is vintage you can take her up to 149 mph as per the V-speed rating?
    What is Pirelli's definition of "vintage"?

25. V-TWELVE

V-TWELVE Formula 3

Jan 1, 2007
    Vancouver, BC
    Yep, put them on a V12 Miura and go crazy, just stay below 149 MPH. Put these same tires on say... a Fiat panda and yes you may die!

Pirelli does not say what "Vintage" is, so it's up to the consumer to decide based on their automotive knowledge and tolerance of risk. Only the consumer knows what their life is worth so they make the call! Pretty standard really.