Mondials For Sale | Page 19 | FerrariChat

Mondials For Sale

Discussion in 'Mondial' started by 123howie, May 26, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    I actually feel the tide is slowly turning, I actually saw more positive comments then negative (this is a welcome change) - also looking at the number of 'thumbs ups' -- the positive far outweigh the negative.

2. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    bullseye Alden.

3. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    #453 paulchua, Jan 7, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 7, 2016
  4. MvT

MvT F1 Rookie

May 25, 2013
    The Netherlands - NH
    Full Name:
    Tijn
    This car did do more then 38k (Looking at the steering wheel (80K look) and spare totally worn) It has not original leather on the seats. The fabric is not original and not even close to what is should be. This one has seen a lot of rain. Rear window is delaminating more then mine. My hunch is that it will not sell close to the estimated numbers. More like 30K if it sells at all. Mondials do not sell very well on European Auctions, even from extraordinary collections.

Let's see! :)

5. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    Great additional info!!!

Thanks

6. sidtx

sidtx F1 Rookie
    Owner

Feb 9, 2014
    Frisco, Tx
    Full Name:
    Sid

I had the wrong definition of dingle-berry!

I thought it meant a slightly amusing, perhaps confused individual!!

I couldn't have been more wrong!! I wonder how many people I've (unintentionally) insulted over the years.

It was my adult kids that set me straight.

Sid

7. bartzagato

bartzagato Formula Junior

Aug 7, 2010
    Belgium
    Full Name:
    Bart
    Indeed, the spare wheel had a lot (overinflated) kilometers. I'm not so sure about the claim that the interior isn't original. I've seen the fabric on a few Mondials, mostly from Italy, and it looks the same. It prevends you from getting a sweaty ass. The stitching looks perfect straight to me. So if it's not original, which I doubt, it looks perfect enough to be non original.
    The delamination of the rear window has nothing to do with liters waters poured over it, but more with the quality of the seal. Also the rubber is an ideal recipient for keeping water in it.

For me it looks like a clean car, except for the spare tire. I'm with you Tijn, I don't think it will sell for the high price.

8. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    it will be great to see where this lands.

cheers my friends

9. MvT

MvT F1 Rookie

May 25, 2013
    The Netherlands - NH
    Full Name:
    Tijn
    #459 MvT, Jan 8, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 8, 2016
    I'm afraid the seats are redone 100% :) The farbic is a different to what I have seen hunting for a Mondial. Came across two that had fabric option and both originated indeed from Italy. One was torn up and asked the dealer on the fabric. This fabric does not exist anymore so it is impossible to redo other then to choose the closest look. They are very rare to see. I passed the car although the authentic combination looked great! I like it more then red. (I have a pic somewhere) The seats look totally new and have a look at the steering wheel. That does not go together and I have not seen a Mondial yet changing the steering wheel to original :p about the delaminating yes forgot to mention the seal, you are right :) add water to it and the rain dance is complete.

10. davemqv

davemqv F1 Rookie

Aug 28, 2014
    USA
    Full Name:
    Dave
    I thought Mondial's were worth more in the EU than in the US. No?

11. MvT

MvT F1 Rookie

May 25, 2013
    The Netherlands - NH
    Full Name:
    Tijn
    In the past it was very cheap for us to get a Mondial from the US or any older car. This has change a bit the last months since our currency is devalueating. 3 years ago one paid approx 20K for a good Mondi. Now it is between 30 and 40K

12. bencollins

bencollins Karting

May 30, 2015
    Whaplode, Lincs, UK
    Full Name:
    Ben Collins
  13. Milkyboy

Milkyboy Karting

Jun 23, 2015
    Definitely some ludicrously optimistic prices being posted.

That one looks too cheap. Its Beverly Hills car club, though, so the cringing may well be done by the buyer if they don't look closely. I'm sure there's a reason for the price.

14. bencollins

bencollins Karting

May 30, 2015
    Whaplode, Lincs, UK
    Full Name:
    Ben Collins
    Maybe.
    "'88 Ferrari Mondial Quattrovalvole Cabriolet with 31,308 on the odometer in Rosso corso with tan interior. Comes equipped with a 5 speed manual transmission, power windows and air conditioning. Also comes with the Spare tire, owners manual and warranty booklets. Very well kept, clean and presentable example. Same elderly owner for many years. Mechanically sound. "
    "Mechanically sound" could mean not been used for a few years by the old chap.

15. FCnew

FCnew Formula Junior

May 5, 2015
    Hong Kong / Canada
    Full Name:
    Jonathan
  16. Milkyboy

Milkyboy Karting

Jun 23, 2015
    ... The old boy did a lot of sitting in it, but not much driving...

17. sidtx

sidtx F1 Rookie
    Owner

Feb 9, 2014
    Frisco, Tx
    Full Name:
    Sid
    Which typically sells "Project" cars. Almost everything I've seen on their website are non-running cars, that require huge amounts of work.

Recently (in the past 3 months) there was a Testarossa for sale there. On closer inspection of the photos, one could see barnacles on the oil filters!!!

I'd take anything on their website with a large grain of salt!

Sid

18. bencollins

bencollins Karting

May 30, 2015
    Whaplode, Lincs, UK
    Full Name:
    Ben Collins
  19. sidtx

sidtx F1 Rookie
    Owner

Feb 9, 2014
    Frisco, Tx
    Full Name:
    Sid
  20. sidtx

sidtx F1 Rookie
    Owner

Feb 9, 2014
    Frisco, Tx
    Full Name:
    Sid
  21. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    it hurts my heart to see cars like this in this condition...

great project car!

22. FCnew

FCnew Formula Junior

May 5, 2015
    Hong Kong / Canada
    Full Name:
    Jonathan
  23. bencollins

bencollins Karting

May 30, 2015
    Whaplode, Lincs, UK
    Full Name:
    Ben Collins
    Assuming the project is to recycle metal and sell parts.
    That'll give me nightmares. Cannot be unseen!

24. davemqv

davemqv F1 Rookie

Aug 28, 2014
    USA
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Bingo. I would never call them dishonest but they certainly employ a lot of "salesmanship" in their adverts. The prices look good but you need to really look closely. In addition to neglected cars, they also sell a lot of salvage title stuff, etc that you don't find out about until you call and specifically ask. I've called them about several cars that looked like entertaining projects. They always seem to answer questions honestly, but they don't seem big on offering information outright of their own volition. On all the cars I've called about it always ends up seeming to me that it would be more expensive to fix it up than it would be to just by a more expensive example in better condition, before I ever got around to arranging an inspection. That said, if I had the money I'd love to rescue some of those old babies and bring them back to top condition. I have a notion about sticking an electric engine in an old sports car some day, and one of their cars might be a suitable candidate.

I think if you were ever seriously interested in one of their cars, you'd need to go see it in person with a mechanic you trust more than the fact that the sun will rise tomorrow, and have it gone through in great detail. Who knows, maybe they come down a lot on price if you get serious about something. I have to say, one of my favourite cars of theirs was an old 912 they were selling recently that had been completely crushed! I couldn't see one part on it that looked salvageable!