More GTO chat | Page 9 | FerrariChat

More GTO chat

Discussion in 'Vintage (thru 365 GTC4)' started by Bob Zambelli, Sep 11, 2007.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. bitzman

bitzman F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Feb 15, 2008
    Ontario, CA
    Full Name:
    wallace wyss
    He somehow contacted Automobile Quarterly and they were doing a Ferrari themed story
    and he knew I knew a free lance photographer and we had the time so Chuck handed me a list of owners and said "Go thou and photograph" and it was an eye opening adventure which included:

-riding in Matt Ettinger's breadvan
    -visiting Dr. Hamm
    -photographing the Bertone 250swb
    -driving a new GTC/4 (which inspired me to buy one later)

and a few other cars I can't remember. I also began to attend the FOC high speed tours through the hills near the ocean, one time taking a Motor Trend Pontiac Trans Am which kept up for awhile until the power steering fluid boiled over...

Chuck also was owed some favor by Steve Earle and borrowed Earl's GTO for a whole week, driving it to work and took me for a ride on Sunset Strip in it. I remember the blue cloth upholstery and the engine sound. Another time he took on the task of schlepping around a 275GTB to be restored from the painter to the upholsterer, etc. and I got to learn how you can do a resto on a shoestring.

His paintings also influenced me, though when I became an artist 37 years later my style was not so consistent as his. Chuck also planned the layout for the first issue of CAVALLINO, I remember he himself made the prancing horse crest of bits of tile for the first issue's cover.

2. Ed Niles

Ed Niles Formula 3
    Honorary

Sep 7, 2004
    West Hills, CA
    Full Name:
    Edwin K. Niles
    Actually, his then wife Carol made the mosaic.

3. Chuck Queener

Chuck Queener Karting

May 18, 2006
    A lot of miss information in the "bitzman" thread.

CQ

4. El Wayne

El Wayne F1 World Champ
    Staff Member Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 1, 2002
    San Marino, CA
    Full Name:
    L. Wayne Ausbrooks
    Thanks for weighing in, Chuck. If you have the time, please set things straight. It would be a shame to leave the misinformation out there, only to be repeated ad nauseam.

5. GG Allin

GG Allin Karting

Nov 11, 2007
    #206 GG Allin, Mar 11, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  6. El Wayne

El Wayne F1 World Champ
    Staff Member Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 1, 2002
    San Marino, CA
    Full Name:
    L. Wayne Ausbrooks
  7. bitzman

bitzman F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Feb 15, 2008
    Ontario, CA
    Full Name:
    wallace wyss
  8. PSk

PSk F1 World Champ

Nov 20, 2002
    Tauranga, NZ
    Full Name:
    Pete
  9. kare

kare F1 Rookie
    Consultant

Nov 11, 2003
    That's one expensive mistake. The new body is not identical and the saddest thing is that if the original body has been sitting all these years without paint to protect it, it probably is too far gone now.

10. tongascrew

tongascrew F1 Rookie

Jan 3, 2006
    tewksbury
    Full Name:
    george burgess
    Two things which will destroy aluminum are water and electricity.Mix the two and the aluminum can be destroyed in a matter of weeks.tongascrew

11. bitzman

bitzman F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Feb 15, 2008
    Ontario, CA
    Full Name:
    wallace wyss
    Where I first became annoyed with this don't-rebody argument was with the E-type lightweight Jag when the restoration shop said they would rebody it by ironing out the wrinkled panels (somebody was killed in it so it was pretty wrinkled). I thought why do that when they could use a replica alloy panels?
    But the shop was adamant that the car have as much metal content from the original as possible. Maybe the GTO people are thinking that too, rather work with rough original metal being restored than new metal. But I still say (I know you're tired of this phrase, the important thing is the chassis that has the DNA and the body is of less importance kind of like Marilyn Monroe in a blue dress or a red dress, what's the differance, it's still Marilyn Monroe underneath.

12. PSk

PSk F1 World Champ

Nov 20, 2002
    Tauranga, NZ
    Full Name:
    Pete
    The goal of any restoration should be to end up with as much of the original car as possible. Therefore even if they had to replace 25% of the original body during the restoration phase they would still be better off than by making a new body.

IMO the restorers of the lightweight Jaguar did it right by painstakingly repairing the original body and the restorers of this 250GTO took the easy and wrong way out.
    Pete
    ps: Note I do not think that that lightweight Jaguar should ever have been restored ... but ...

13. lgs

lgs Formula Junior

Mar 26, 2006
    No question!

14. johngtc

johngtc Formula Junior
    Owner

Mar 4, 2005
    Yorkshire, UK
    Full Name:
    John Gould
    #215 johngtc, Mar 19, 2015
  15. johngtc

johngtc Formula Junior
    Owner

Mar 4, 2005
    Yorkshire, UK
    Full Name:
    John Gould
    #216 johngtc, Mar 19, 2015
    Red Rocket and Christian.Fr like this.
  16. Ian Nersesian

Ian Nersesian Rookie

Jul 6, 2004
    Can't tell if that's black or dark blue but that looks amazing.

Beautiful

17. tongascrew

tongascrew F1 Rookie

Jan 3, 2006
    tewksbury
    Full Name:
    george burgess
    Considering what Bamford did with some of his cars we may be fortunate that this GTO even exists. tongascrew

18. johngtc

johngtc Formula Junior
    Owner

Mar 4, 2005
    Yorkshire, UK
    Full Name:
    John Gould
    Very dark blue.

19. PSk

PSk F1 World Champ

Nov 20, 2002
    Tauranga, NZ
    Full Name:
    Pete
    True, but he only picked on cars he didn't like or weren't worth as much ... just like replica makers. All for the mighty $.
    Pete

20. bitzman

bitzman F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Feb 15, 2008
    Ontario, CA
    Full Name:
    wallace wyss
    I knew a free lance photographer and so was
    given a list of Ferraris to photograph in my spare timefor Automobile Quarterly. I don't know what issue of AQ it appeared in but my name wasn't on the pictures, I was just the photo assistant.
    As I recall some of the cars were
    Bill Karp's swb250GT by Bertone
    GTC/4 (new, they let us drive it)
    250GTO (which I think we didn't shoot because it lacked headlight bubbles)
    Swb in Inland Empire lacking bumpers, may have been alloy car, being driven by college student!
    The others I don't remember.

That's one way to see the hidden cars, I guess, volunteer to be a photographer's assistant

21. johngtc

johngtc Formula Junior
    Owner

Mar 4, 2005
    Yorkshire, UK
    Full Name:
    John Gould
    #222 johngtc, Apr 16, 2015
    This car was well known for some 'street' modifications carried out by Graber in Switzerland in 1965, which included winding windows, leather upholstery and - for whatever reason! - VW Kombi rear lights.

The first UK owner was Anthony Bamford, followed by Don Nelson who registered it with UK plates 6 GTO, and then Stephen Pilkington, who owned the car for around 20 years, frequently driving it at FOC test days and showing it at concours.

In 2005 it was sold to Lord Irvine Laidlaw, who had it restored by Mototechnique. At this time it's original Rossa Cina paintwork was changed to the present darker colour.

There has been a previous thread concerning the work done by Kevin O'Rourke at Mototechnique.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

22. johngtc

johngtc Formula Junior
    Owner

Mar 4, 2005
    Yorkshire, UK
    Full Name:
    John Gould
  23. simsko

simsko F1 Rookie

Feb 5, 2012
    That is stunning

24. BIRA

BIRA Formula Junior

Jun 15, 2007
    Will be on the road, next week, IL has entered it in Tour Auto.