Motorized Seat Belt Issues | FerrariChat

Motorized Seat Belt Issues

Discussion in 'Boxers/TR/M' started by Shamile, Sep 15, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Shamile

Shamile F1 Veteran

Dec 31, 2002
    Lakeland FL
    Full Name:
    Shamile
    I have a motorized seat belt issue on the passenger side. I had the "B station" break off from the track and a few tries from Ferr parts ( very helpful BTW ) couldn't find an unbroken one. I was able to reglue the the little runners that guide inside the track...yeah yeah, the parts diagram doesn't even show the runners.

After removing the motor, winding wheel, runner cable and by the end of it all...the whole track system, I finally got the whole system mechanically working and put back.
    OK, here's the problem. Is there a sort of reset? I manually wind up the runner cable to the "seatbelt closed" position. I plug in the harness and turn on the power. I open the door and the mouse runs to the bottom of the track in the "seatbelt open" position. Ok that's fine. I close the door, put the ignition in position II, the mouse runs up to the closed position...ok, that's fine and correct. I open the door again and as normal, the mouse runs down to the open position and now just stays there. If I close the door with the ignition in pos II, no changes. The mouse won't run anymore. Ignition on, off, power on, power off, pull the harness plug to the seatbelt motor, re seat harness....all to no avail.

It always works on one full cycle and then stays stuck in the open position.

What am I missing here?

.....and yes, this is a stupid system....but it's OEM and I just want it to work properly.

Shamile

Freeze....Miami Vice!

BR in the UK likes this.
  2. 302Tim

302Tim Formula 3

Jul 2, 2011
    Northern California
    Full Name:
    Tim
    Shamile, I'm not aware of any reset on this system. The ECUs, retract motors, etc. don't have any reset buttons on them. When mine act up (fairly frequently) a power cycle (associated with opening/closing door) or two will clear things up. That said my issues are different than yours--my driver side motor is getting weak and will occasionally stall while the mouse is moving, especially if there is any kind of tension on the belt. My passenger side doesn't always release tension and while tensioned the belt won't move. Also I'm sure you know but for others the system won't operate if the transmission isn't in neutral.

Your symptoms are odd in that the system will work correctly 1X. Seems like maybe a switch at the "A" station is not sensing the mouse has moved fully forward. Are you sure the mouse is going all the way to contact the switch? If you unclip the belt and just let the mouse run freely back & forth--any better? You can also try pushing the mouse (AKA "slider") forward while at the "A" station to see if it is making good contact. Does the seatbelt light illuminate after it goes through one cycle or never lights? If lit that would also indicate a switch problem.

3. ago car nut

ago car nut F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 29, 2008
    Madison Ohio
    Full Name:
    David A.
    Different problem then yours, I have to tug on the belt going into the console sometimes on drivers belt to get light off.
    Are the boxes on the removable part of the console in the front by the accelerator the seat belt module?

4. ozziindaus

ozziindaus F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 16, 2012
    Detroit
    Full Name:
    Sam
    When it comes to mouse belts, I'll just repeat what I've said so many times before. Take it back to the dealer and have them fix it, no matter what the issue. Should be free of charge, at least the parts, since:
    1. it was involved in a recall
    2. safety issue
    What I would do is make sure everything is back the way it originally was. They'll figure the rest out.

5. Motob

Motob Formula 3
    Professional Ferrari Technician

Nov 11, 2003
    Frederick, Maryland
    Full Name:
    Brian Brown
    ozziindasus is partially correct. Every Testarossa, 512TR an 512M made was supposed to have the seat belt system recall performed on it. The recall includes replacement of every part of the system except for the wiring harness in the car (both mouse-tracks with motors, the center seatbelt retractor assembly, both ecu's and the door switches all get replaced). Ferrrari is still required to perform the recall for free. I have done six in the last two years.
    You can call the dealership or Ferrari customer service with your VIN and they can tell if the recall has been performed.

If the recall has already been performed, then you are on your own. The car is out of warranty and the recall is not under warranty forever, even if it is a safety issue.

Ago car nut: yes, the seatbelt ECU's are mounted to the removable sides of the center console at the front of the console. If you have to tug on the belt in order to get the light to go off, then there is a fault with the retractor assembly in the center console. Technically it is not a repairable part and is held together with special anti-tamper screws. Usually the outer plastic housing breaks, keeping the micro-switches from being in their proper location and affecting their function.

Shamile. There is no reset on the system. Either it is working correctly or it is not. It is a fairly simple system with micro-switches telling the ecu the position of the mouse. Either you have a bad input to the ECU (defective micro-switch), or the ECU is bad. You can swap the ECU's left to right to see if the problem switches from one side to the other. If it does, then the ECU is bad.

There is a separate factory manual for the system that has complete diagnostics and better wiring diagrams. Your dealer should have one.

6. ozziindaus

ozziindaus F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 16, 2012
    Detroit
    Full Name:
    Sam
    I had my belt, and I believe at least one other here, fixed by the dealer after the recall free of charge. Worth a try

7. tbakowsky

tbakowsky F1 World Champ
    Consultant Professional Ferrari Technician

Sep 18, 2002
    The Cold North
    Full Name:
    Tom
    If worst comes to worst you could just put manual seat belts in it. However, I'm not 100% sure the bolt holes are in place for the rerto fit.

8. JIMBO

JIMBO Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Bradenton, Florida
    Full Name:
    Jim DeRespino
    Professor Shamile,
    I have been absent from the forum doing hurricane Irma prep and then clean up. Did I miss your usual incredibly eloquent photo essay (including the young and nubile babe-du-jour) detailing the removal, repair and replacement of said mouse system? I am having intermittent driver's side mouse stopping in the up or down position problems. Do you have any dealer or factory literature that deals with replacement?
    If I can help, let me know.
    PS: What happened to the "backroom lounge" with this new udated F-Chat?
    ...Jimbo

9. curtisc63

curtisc63 Formula 3
    Owner

Dec 13, 2005
    Maryland
    Full Name:
    Curtis Campbell
    Hi Shamile! Nice to see you are still playing with the Ferrari some times and not just that Lambo. But I agree with Jimbo - no pics? I am more curious about the seatbelt-system-ectomy than your latest conquests. One I might be able to operate on in the future. I will let you guess which one that is...:(

10. Shamile

Shamile F1 Veteran

Dec 31, 2002
    Lakeland FL
    Full Name:
    Shamile
    Haha...thanks for the response guys!

Sorry I haven't been able to comment but for some reason, I just couldn't log in to respond. I kept getting "user error" then all of a sudden I get all these notifications! lol

I'll call my dealership (F pimp ) and see if the recall was ever done on my 91.
    Boy, I tell ya...this system is something else. You have to remove the whole track system as the "B station" is attached to the base with a couple of prongs that insert into the track.

I can always get the system to do one full open close open cycle then it just gets stuck in the open position at the base of the windshield.
    Even when the track stops working, you can still feel the retractors "tug" on the belt. As per info here, the ecu is working. I'll swap it over just to eliminate it as a potential issue.

As far.as the base windshield microswitch, when the mouse is traveling towards the windshield, I can push the pin in and it will stop the mouse....release, mouse continues to travel. I push the pin in again , mouse stops. It just seems to all stop working when the mouse hits the base pin.
    I'll keep trying and report back .

Shamile

Freeze....Miami Vice!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

11. Shamile

Shamile F1 Veteran

Dec 31, 2002
    Lakeland FL
    Full Name:
    Shamile
    The bolt holes are there but I want it as it came from the factory....stupid system and all.
    Also, I was worried that if I was ever involved in an accident with a passenger, they could sue me because the OEM safety system was modified.
    ....yep, I've read such cases on fchat with the passenger suing the driver in an accident.

Shamile

Freeze. . . Miami Vice!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

12. JIMBO

JIMBO Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Bradenton, Florida
    Full Name:
    Jim DeRespino
    From what I've seen on previous posts, most of your passengers come equipped with their own front airbags (for safety).

13. Sleestak

Sleestak Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 18, 2014
    Coeur d'Alene, Idaho
    Both of my power belts didn't work, so three months ago, I took my 91 TR to the Las Vegas dealer for my Major Service. While there, they replaced both belt, paid by Ferrari North America. The funny thing is, their computer system showed that they were replaced before, about ten years back. Worth a shot.

14. JIMBO

JIMBO Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Bradenton, Florida
    Full Name:
    Jim DeRespino
    Shamile, my friend, you have been uncharacteristically silent. Have you made any progress?

15. 302Tim

302Tim Formula 3

Jul 2, 2011
    Northern California
    Full Name:
    Tim
    So you verified that the microswitch is working by manually actuating it...are you sure the mouse is actually engaging the switch? Could it be stopping (just) short of engaging the switch?

16. JIMBO

JIMBO Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Bradenton, Florida
    Full Name:
    Jim DeRespino
    I just returned from my annual "Just the Fellas" golf trip, and, thanks to Shamile's sage advice on my seat belt mouse, the 512TR was my companion for the 15th year in a row. It performed flawlessly and managed almost 15 mph (also used 1 quart of oil, as expected) for the 846 mile round trip. The AC has held its charge now for 18 months (2 Florida summers). Not bad for an old girl with 64,000 smiles on the odometer (34,000 miles and 12 years since last major service - no leaks).
    Thanks again to this forum and to my friend Shamile.
    Also, I used the luggage - no issues.

17. BR in the UK

BR in the UK Rookie

Sep 18, 2006
    Stockholm
    Is anyone still reading this thread? Yesterday I had the exact same problem happen on my 1993 512tr. Passenger side belt stopped working. The seatbelt lamp always stays on. If I turn off the ignition for 60 seconds it will work one full cycle, from open to close and then open again and then it stops until ignition is off for 60 seconds. The warning light never goes out regardless. Any thoughts? It’s 2500.00 USD for a new seat belt track and no I can’t go to a dealer as my USA car is not with me in Europe so not covered……